Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Boo. :p: I await correction, then. (I suspected it might be wrong...)
    Chris' girlfriend is correct, I'm afraid. It's definitely "an Heiligabend", because you use "an" for all holidays. You'd also say "an Ostern / Pfingsten / Weihnachten / Silvester / Christi Himmelfahrt / Trinitatis / Michaeli / Fronleichnam / Peter und Paul / Whatever". There may be a few exceptions, but "Heiligabend" isn't one of them.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Chris' girlfriend is correct, I'm afraid. It's definitely "an Heiligabend", because you use "an" for all holidays. You'd also say "an Ostern / Pfingsten / Weihnachten / Silvester / Christi Himmelfahrt / Trinitatis / Michaeli / Fronleichnam / Peter und Paul / Whatever". There may be a few exceptions, but "Heiligabend" isn't one of them.
    I don't think that's the bit he was saying was wrong... but that's interesting, I was fairly sure I was right there (and got a few tens of thousands of google results to back it up). Oh well. What about the other thing I said which wtid bolded?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Möchtest du da vielleicht auch mal ein Verb hingeben? :p:
    "hingeben" = "abandon"(ish)
    "add" (in this context at least) = "hinzufügen", "anfügen", "dazutun"

ReputationRep:
    Ja... ich würde auch keinen Artikel vor Heiligabend schreiben!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    "hingeben" = "abandon"(ish)
    "add" (in this context at least) = "hinzufügen", "anfügen", "dazutun"
    Buh. :hmmm: Thanks. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Gibt es im Englischen ein besseres Wort für "schenken" als "to give a present"?
    Wenn ich sagen will "ich schenke meinen Eltern xx" dann heißt es wie?
    Und Zeit verbringen.. Kann man dann einfach sagen "I spend Christmas with my family"?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I don't think that's the bit he was saying was wrong... but that's interesting, I was fairly sure I was right there (and got a few tens of thousands of google results to back it up). Oh well. What about the other thing I said which wtid bolded?
    Oh, you mean the "für sieben Stunden" bit? Yes, I agree with you there. Another one of those bloody anglicisms that are becoming increasingly common...

About the other thing: it's either "Heiligabend" or "der Heilige Abend" (depending on which region you're from, I believe); the latter turns into "am Heiligen Abend", while the former becomes "an Heiligabend". This isn't to say people don't get mixed up, obviously, but "Heiligabend" is the form that normally shouldn't take an article, so "am" is wrong. Saying "am Heiligabend" is a bit like saying "at Christmas Eve".
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by gembarla)
    "I'm getting my parents XX"?:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Or even "I'm giving my parents xx"

German has much more concise ways of saying things! Such as with "Bescherung"..it's a shame we have no such thing

ReputationRep:
    according to www.leo.org (THE german onlione dictionary ) you get the following for "schenken":

bestow, donate, endow, give, make a gift, present.

none of which actually hits the mark except maybe "make a gift"...

ReputationRep:
    Oha, wir sind sich mit dem Vornamen anreden? (I don't know how to form that phrase into a sentence.)

Übrigens, *war es meine Freundin, nicht meine Freundin (:confused: that's a silly thing about German, there's no way to differentiate between the two! It was a friend, not my girlfriend, is what I was trying to get across)

*I'm still unsure of this, the verb is supposed to come second in a main clause. This is a main clause (isn't it?) so the "war" should come second, but I bet it's still wrong, just because whatever I write, ends up being wrong :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    If you want to be very clear, "I'm giving/getting my parents __ as a present". Otherwise, just "I'm giving/getting my parents __".

Und Zeit verbringen.. Kann man dann einfach sagen "I spend Christmas with my family"?
    Yep.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by wtid)
    Oha, wir sind sich mit dem Vornamen anreden? (I don't know how to form that phrase into a sentence.)

Übrigens, *war es meine Freundin, nicht meine Freundin (:confused: that's a silly thing about German, there's no way to differentiate between the two! It was a friend, not my girlfriend, is what I was trying to get across)

*I'm still unsure of this, the verb is supposed to come second in a main clause. This is a main clause (isn't it?) so the "war" should come second, but I bet it's still wrong, just because whatever I write, ends up being wrong :p:
    I think you're trying to say:

Übrigens war es eine Freundin von mir (a female friend of mine), nicht meine Freundin (my girlfriend). No comma! Commas only separate clauses from other clauses or from things that can stand on their own like names; "übrigens" on its own is neither of these.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to be very clear, "I'm giving/getting my parents __ as a present". Otherwise, just "I'm giving/getting my parents __".
    I don't know what she asked in German, but personally I would say "I'm giving" if I've already bought it and "I'm getting" if I haven't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spryte)
    according to www.leo.org (THE german onlione dictionary ) you get the following for "schenken":

bestow, donate, endow, give, make a gift, present.

none of which actually hits the mark except maybe "make a gift"...
    Making a gift sounds.......all wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're trying to say:

Übrigens war es eine Freundin von mir (a female friend of mine), nicht meine Freundin (my girlfriend). No comma! Commas only separate clauses from other clauses or from things that can stand on their own like names; "übrigens" on its own is neither of these.
    Aso. I didn't know how to use commas so I end up using them as I would in English, wherever I would pause.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Fleece)
    Making a gift sounds.......all wrong.
    I believe it's possible to say "making a gift of something". But you're right, it sounds wrong.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by wtid)
    Aso. I didn't know how to use commas so I end up using them as I would in English, wherever I would pause.
    Just to be picky: I think what you're trying to say here is "ach so".

Yes, commas do specific things in German. Hmm, I'll edit my post in a second and explain.

ReputationRep:
    Just to be picky: I think what you're trying to say here is "ach so".

Yes, commas do specific things in German. Hmm, I'll edit my post in a second and explain.
    Actually I know it's ach so I just pick up slang from my friends. Never seen any of them write ach so, it's either achso or aso (the second one most of the time). If it was for a test or something I'd do it correctly, but since it's just here...

Thanks though!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your answers.
    I think it´s very hard to improve my English with foreign words because I don´t know how they´re used in context, there are many many words for one meaning and when I look up a word I don´t know which word to choose... I mean there are also many words in german which are very seldom used and kind of "over the top"... I notice them when I hear a second-language speaker and native speakers don´t know at first what they mean... do you have any advice?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2013

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.