Turn on thread page Beta

German learners' society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    wtid - just a reminder to watch your 'ei' and 'ie's..as you seem to get them mixed up a lot.

I used to remember which way round they went by this...

ei - the i is last, and so it's an 'i' sound i.e. vermeiden

ie - the e is last, and so it's an 'e' sound i.e. Fieber
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by wtid)
    Ich habe Bauchschmerzen und meine Freundin ist auch Krank. Sie hat Feiber und sie war ganzen Tag[1] ins[2] Bett. Ich werde jetzt auch gehen, gute nacht[3]!
    [1] den ganzen Tag = "the whole day".
    [2] im Bett. In + dative = in, in + accusative = into. You can say "ich gehe ins Bett" (motion from 'outside bed' to 'inside bed'), but "ich bin im Bett" (no motion implied).
    [3] Nacht. Noun.

I was also going to mention 'ie' and 'ei'... but if they're confusing you, just think of some really simple German words, like 'nein' and 'die'. (You'd never write 'nien' or 'dei', would you? Actually, I know someone who studied German for about three years who was convinced it was 'nien'...) This can be important, because some verbs with an -ei- in their stem change to -ie- in some past tenses, so if you write 'vermeiden' (to steal Fleece's example), it's an infinitive, but if you write 'vermieden', it's a past participle. Similarly with 'wir bleiben' ('we are staying') and 'wir blieben' ('we stayed').

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kjc_us)
    Hallo Gooner Wie gehts?
    Saluuuuut KJ! Ach....ich fühle mich jetzt wie jemanden mir sagen wird, "hau ab!":p: Meh

Erm...ja es geht gut, danke Für dich? Hast du heute viel getan? Ich habe persönlich nichts getan, und im Moment mache ich ein bißchen Revision für meine Prüfungen nächstes Woche:eek: Hast du Prüfungen?:afraid:

ReputationRep:
    And krank with a small 'k' cos it's an adjective

ReputationRep:
    Eeeeek sorry just had to say something... bisschen, not bißchen... sorry, it just really irks me for some reason haha. Also Woche is feminine but I know you know that
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Fleece)
    Eeeeek sorry just had to say something... bisschen, not bißchen... sorry, it just really irks me for some reason haha. Also Woche is feminine but I know you know that
    Bißchen is right according to the old spelling...

ReputationRep:
    That's quite alright dear We're here to learn after all:teeth: Heh...there're a small number of words which I can never get the gender of for some reason, Woche being one of them (because I have nächstes Woche implanted in my mind no doubt:p:) and Film being another, though I'm hoping after my coursework that I'll remember - it's masculine!!!:p:

And yeah...my teacher teaches with a mixture of old and new spelling rules:/ She's verry verry ghey!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Bißchen is right according to the old spelling...
    Well yeah, but that's my point..it's the OLD spelling. It's now wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Well yeah, but that's my point..it's the OLD spelling. It's now wrong.
    Is it now completely wrong though to use the old spelling system? I mean, forgive me, but I prefer using my "ß" for some reason:p: Plus, I never know when to use it and when not to, because I know some modern words can use the "ß". Not sure which though:p: Bring back old German!!!

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously people will know what you're on about if you use the old spelling, but technically it's wrong, and I know I get marked down at uni if I use the wrong spelling system.

General rule is if it's a short vowel sound then it's a 'ss', and if it's a long vowel sound it's an ß. I'd suggest researching it properly though if you really wanna know, as I just tend to know automatically so don't really know any hard and fast rules!

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously people will know what you're on about if you use the old spelling, but technically it's wrong, and I know I get marked down at uni if I use the wrong spelling system.

General rule is if it's a short vowel sound then it's a 'ss', and if it's a long vowel sound it's an ß. I'd suggest researching it properly though if you really wanna know, as I just tend to know automatically so don't really know any hard and fast rules!
    Yeah, I will do, thanks I've seen one web page on the net which was absolutely massive on it. It really didn't give me much will to live, so I pressed the cross at the top right of my screen:p: Laziness, I suppose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gooner1592)
    Yeah, I will do, thanks I've seen one web page on the net which was absolutely massive on it. It really didn't give me much will to live, so I pressed the cross at the top right of my screen:p: Laziness, I suppose
    Hahah yeah articles on such things tend to be excruciatingly dry. It'll come with time no doubt.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

Yeah, that's all it is. If it's a long vowel (or a diphthong), it's ß; otherwise, it's ss.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure there's probably exceptions though? Just to be awkward, like..

ReputationRep:
    *Closes eyes* I don't wanna know *peaks*:ninja:

Heh:p: I sure hope it comes with time:p: Don't want to be laughed out of the country on my year abroad, do I?:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gooner1592)
    *Closes eyes* I don't wanna know *peaks*:ninja:

Heh:p: I sure hope it comes with time:p: Don't want to be laughed out of the country on my year abroad, do I?:p:
    Haha, well you'll be doing more speaking than writing, so I'm sure you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    Haha, well you'll be doing more speaking than writing, so I'm sure you'll be fine
    Well with my disgustingly French-sounding German accent, I just can't win:p: I'll be crucified:afraid:

ReputationRep:
    Haha that'll prob work to your advantage - for some reason all the Germs I meet seem to love a french accent :P

ReputationRep:
    Haha that'll prob work to your advantage - for some reason all the Germs I meet seem to love a french accent :P
    :p: Yaay! Now is my stereotype right in saying that German women sound really deep-voiced?

ReputationRep:
    Haha actually that's not too wrong..I remember distinctly noticing it on the train one day.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2013

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.