Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have 2 questions, which most likely have obvious answers.

Firstly, how do you express "I'll" as in someone holds a bowl in front of you containing soup and asks "do you want any soup" and you reply "I'll have a bit". Is it simply Ich werde? I'm just not sure, because you are saying you will, but it's only in a matter of seconds. I wondered if there is another verb to use in this instance, or if it's just a case of saying "ein bisschen"

Secondly, I've learnt the marker (not sure of the official name, that's what they are called the The German Handbook), adjective and noun endings for the cases now (next step: recognising which case to use!). I'm looking at an example for something else and it says "Ich bin gegen alle neuen Strassen" - why does it become Strassen? None of the noun endings have "-en". Is it plural dative?

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Hello to everybody! I have just registered in "The Student Room".I´m from Germany and will start studying this summer. Since it has been at least 20
    years that i have finished school and my studies require a good English reading knowledge I thought it a good idea to ask for help improving my skills.Being a native speaker for the German language ( thank heavens I didn´t have to learn that one as a foreign language ) I offer my help as well.Feel free to correct me whereever I make a mistake or could have said better. I´m looking forward to hear/read from who ever wants to.

grizzlybär

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Nein, du musst nicht. Aber du kannst.

Use whichever language you prefer, really...
    Hello to everybody! I have just registered in "The Student Room".I´m from Germany and will start studying this summer. Since it has been at least 20
    years that i have finished school and my studies require a good English reading knowledge I thought it a good idea to ask for help improving my skills.Being a native speaker for the German language ( thank heavens I didn´t have to learn that one as a foreign language ) I offer my help as well.Feel free to correct me whereever I make a mistake or could have said better. I´m looking forward to hear/read from who ever wants to.

grizzlybär

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grizzlybär)

grizzlybär
    Welcome to the forum

Why did you quote hobnob and highlight "musst"? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Good question, I don´t know. I am an absolut beginner with everything that has to do with computers.These are actually the first quotes, replies or whatever I have ever sent in my whole life. True to the motto "learning by doing" I clicked here and there and everywhere I guess this is how I got to hobnob what do you mean by "highlight "musst"?"
    o god I´m lost here I don´t know what I´m doing.
    Augen zu und durch!!

ReputationRep:
    Good question, I don´t know. I am an absolut beginner with everything that has to do with computers.These are actually the first quotes, replies or whatever I have ever sent in my whole life. True to the motto "learning by doing" I clicked here and there and everywhere I guess this is how I got to hobnob what do you mean by "highlight "musst"?"
    o god I´m lost here I don´t know what I´m doing.
    Augen zu und durch!!
    Haha kein Problem! It's OK to be a beginner, we all were once upon a time! Forget what I said about quoting hobnob and highlighting musst, since you didn't even mean it :p:

If you want to "quote" the person above you like I have done (i.e. make their message appear above your own in order to show you are responding to them, you simply press the "Quote" button in the bottom right corner of their post. You must have done this accidentally. Anyway good luck, I would say the learning curve is pretty small if you managed to navigate to this site and post here!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by wtid)
    I have 2 questions, which most likely have obvious answers.

Firstly, how do you express "I'll" as in someone holds a bowl in front of you containing soup and asks "do you want any soup" and you reply "I'll have a bit". Is it simply Ich werde? I'm just not sure, because you are saying you will, but it's only in a matter of seconds. I wondered if there is another verb to use in this instance, or if it's just a case of saying "ein bisschen"
    I'd just say "ja, aber nur ein bisschen, bitte"...? They don't actually teach you this in school, but using "werden" for the future is actually quite strong, and in normal conversation you'd say "ich gehe morgen zur Bank" rather than "ich werde morgen zur Bank gehen". I'm not entirely sure how the latter would sound to a German. Certainly saying something like "ich werde ein bisschen haben" would sound completely wrong.

(Original post by wtid)
    Secondly, I've learnt the marker (not sure of the official name, that's what they are called the The German Handbook), adjective and noun endings for the cases now (next step: recognising which case to use!). I'm looking at an example for something else and it says "Ich bin gegen alle neuen Strassen" - why does it become Strassen? None of the noun endings have "-en". Is it plural dative?

Cheers!
    No, it's accusative plural (because it follows gegen), but it could just as easily be nominative plural. The vast majority of feminine words end in -en in the plural, Straße included.

Welcome to the society. What are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtid)
    Haha kein Problem! It's OK to be a beginner, we all were once upon a time! Forget what I said about quoting hobnob and highlighting musst, since you didn't even mean it :p:

If you want to "quote" the person above you like I have done (i.e. make their message appear above your own in order to show you are responding to them, you simply press the "Quote" button in the bottom right corner of their post. You must have done this accidentally. Anyway good luck, I would say the learning curve is pretty small if you managed to navigate to this site and post here!
    Ha! Da bin ich wieder. Ich kann´s selbst kaum glauben. Die letzte Stunde habe ich damit verbracht meinen eigenen Kommentar zu suchen, dabei bin ich zufällig auf deine Antwort gestossen, frag mich nicht wie, aber das krieg ich auch noch raus. Ich finds toll, dass du prompt geantwortet hast, sonst hätte ich inzwischen entnervt das Handtuch geschmissen.Ich bin so ein Hinterwäldler wenn`s um Computer geht, das glaubt man garnicht. Shame on me.Antworte mir noch einmal, dann erkenn ich vielleicht ein pattern bitte!!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Also, a couple of small corrections, since you asked for them.

Hello to everybody! I have just registered on "The Student Room". (Computer terminology is difficult and illogical; don't let this worry you yet!) I´m from Germany and will start studying this summer. ("I start studying this summer" sounds more English. In the same way, you'd probably say "ich fange im Sommer mit dem Studium an", rather than "ich werde ... mit dem Studium anfangen".) Since it has been at least 20
    years since I finished school and my studies require a good English reading knowledge I thought it a good idea to ask for help improving my skills.Being a native speaker for the German language (better: "being a native German speaker") ( thank heavens I didn´t have to learn that one as a foreign language ) I offer my help as well.Feel free to correct me wherever I make a mistake or could have said something better. I´m looking forward to hearing/reading from who ever wants to.

grizzlybär

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)

Hello to everybody! I have just registered on "The Student Room". (Computer terminology is difficult and illogical; don't let this worry you yet!) I´m from Germany and will start studying this summer. ("I start studying this summer" sounds more English. In the same way, you'd probably say "ich fange im Sommer mit dem Studium an", rather than "ich werde ... mit dem Studium anfangen".) Since it has been at least 20
    years since I finished school and my studies require a good English reading knowledge I thought it a good idea to ask for help improving my skills.Being a native speaker for the German language (better: "being a native German speaker") ( thank heavens I didn´t have to learn that one as a foreign language ) I offer my help as well.Feel free to correct me wherever I make a mistake or could have said something better. I´m looking forward to hearing/reading from who ever wants to.

grizzlybär
    Maybe it depends where you're from :p: I'd say "I'll start..." or "I'm going to be starting...".

I'd just say "ja, aber nur ein bisschen, bitte"...? They don't actually teach you this in school, but using "werden" for the future is actually quite strong, and in normal conversation you'd say "ich gehe morgen zur Bank" rather than "ich werde morgen zur Bank gehen". I'm not entirely sure how the latter would sound to a German. Certainly saying something like "ich werde ein bisschen haben" would sound completely wrong.
    That's what I thought, that it implied a substantial time in future, good to have it confirmed.

No, it's accusative plural (because it follows gegen), but it could just as easily be nominative plural. The vast majority of feminine words end in -en in the plural, Straße included.
    Thanks! I assumed it would be something to do with the plural but it got me a bit confused.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have anything to add except for the question:
    "Ich werde morgen zur Bank gehen" is fine, but not often used. It sounds a bit like, well, 'gehobenes Deutsch' (Actually I have no clue how it's called in English - a higher level of German than colloquial language) and old-fashioned. Therefore "Ich gehe morgen zur Bank" is the most adequate form.

ReputationRep:
    Hallo! Thank you for your prompt reply and thank heavens I found it.This form of communication is completely new to me, but I promise I will do my very best to learn it as quickly as possible.I matriculated at the distance teaching university of Hagen for cultural studies.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by wtid)
    Maybe it depends where you're from :p: I'd say "I'll start..." or "I'm going to be starting...".
    Yeah, in all honesty, I'd probably say "I'm going to be starting studying", but that's quite colloquial (and quite a difficult construction). I'd never say "I'll start studying" in this context, it just sounds wrong to me. "I start studying" is definitely fine too though.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, in all honesty, I'd probably say "I'm going to be starting studying", but that's quite colloquial (and quite a difficult construction). I'd never say "I'll start studying" in this context, it just sounds wrong to me. "I start studying" is definitely fine too though.
    To be honest I'd be even more colloquial and say "I'm gonna" but that's not the point lol.

ReputationRep:
    Hey grizzlybär same here, I´m also a German trying (trieing? Nee, oder?) to improve my English... Would be great to have a personal stalker who corrects every single post I made, wouldn´t it?

I have a question, just read in the "would-you-like-these-muscles-thread" the word "bornyank" but didn´t find it in the dictionary.. What does it mean?

And generalebriety, you corrected it so:
    "I´m looking forward to hearing/reading from who ever wants to."
    Why the "ing"? I thought you can´t combine "to" and "ing" ?

Like everytime (or "like always" - wie immer?), feel free to correct my mistakes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gembarla)
    Hey grizzlybär same here, I´m also a German trying (trieing? Nee, oder?) to improve my English... Would be great to have a personal stalker who corrects every single post I made, wouldn´t it?

I have a question, just read in the "would-you-like-these-muscles-thread" the word "bornyank" but didn´t find it in the dictionary.. What does it mean?

Like everytime (or "like always" - wie immer?), feel free to correct my mistakes
    richtig

yank is a colloquial name for an American person. I assume it means someone who is stereotypically American, but it's not a real word (as far as I'm aware)

I think you're confusing something there, it's perfectly OK to combine "to" and "-ing" for things you will do in the future.

"as ever" is what you're looking for :p:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!!

I think you're confusing something there, it's perfectly OK to combine "to" and "-ing" for things you will do in the future.
    Probably, but I´m wondering because I´ve learnt (right tense? don´t think so but I can´t differenciate it) that you can do two things:
    Either you say (btw.; how do you pronunciate it? EIther like "I" and "mIami" or eIther like "Easter"? Because LEO pronounciates it like the second version but I´ve listened to it in movies and there they speak it like "I". Same with neither? I guess it´s just a dialect and depends on your area?). Write the beginning of the sentence again because the bracket was that long .
    So, either you say "I´m looking forward to hear from ......"
    or: "I´m looking forward hearing from .... " ?? That´s what I´ve learnt (btw., learnt oder learned? learnt was my feeling and I looked it up and there are both versions...)
    "I´m looking forward to hearing from ..... just sounds wrong in my head.... It disturbes my language-feeling. :rolleyes:

As ever () feel free to correct.....

ReputationRep:

The verb is: to look forward to, sich auf etwas freuen it's not the 'to' that indicates an infinitiv denk ich mal

ReputationRep:
    The verb is: to look forward to, sich auf etwas freuen
    Meinst du mich? In welchem Kontext jetzt?

ReputationRep:
    So, either you say "I´m looking forward to hear from ......"
    or: "I´m looking forward hearing from .... " ?? That´s what I´ve learnt (btw., learnt oder learned? learnt was my feeling and I looked it up and there are both versions...)
    "I´m looking forward to hearing from ..... just sounds wrong in my head.... It disturbes my language-feeling. :rolleyes:

As ever () feel free to correct.....
    I'm looking forward hearing from... makes no sense. You need the "to" in there... so I'm looking forward to hearing from...

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2013

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.