Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to be stick thin for the rest of my life. Never again will I be such a glutton. I will log my experiences here.

Edit: wishful blunder, I'm actually 17 stone.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck, key is consistency and time .

ReputationRep:
    On a 1600 kcal diet. Taken me a week or so to get used to it, but it's fine now. If I go over the limit I just go for a walk for as long as I need to burn off the excess calories. Gotta say I enjoy limitting my food as much as I enjoyed stuffing my face, there was no pleasure in eating before, I just did it so much.
    I started counting calories on Tuesday 25th October. Every day since then these have been my surpluses/deficits:

Target: 1,930 kcal
    (minus indicates I ate over the target, positive indicates a calorie deficit from that target)
    309, -183, -748, 139, 286, -291, -1329, -324, 414, -692, 101, -167, 57, 157, 86
    Target changed to 1600 kcals:
    -338, 53, 14, 112, -1177, -1163, 27, 7, -1093, 161, 109, 8, 163, 15 (today)
    Total of deficits: 2218
    Total of surpluses: 7505
    Excess calorie intake (from targets): 5287

So it seems I'm having a few seriously bad pig-out days. Hopefully I can fix that as time goes by. I need to find the cause of those pig-outs really, I didn't realise there were so many. So my next target is maintain a the current deficit for as long as possible.

Key to this is my current midnight routine, where I starve myself for most of the day and then eat a large meal just after midnight, then I wake up and don't feel that hungry, and try to maintain that for as long as possible preferrably the entire day, and then have bits and bobs to reach the target intake just before midnight, and go for any necessary walks.

If my calculations are correct I have averaged 1953 kcals per day over this period, which sounds a lot better than looking at the data, as I was probably between 3000 and 4000 before I started dieting.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Good plan.

That's what i'd recommend. Have just a piece of fruit or something to hold yourself off for as long as possible then a main meal at dinner time and you can even have a snack or so post dinner and be on target.

1 day a week you could have a maintenance day. The odd thing is ok but you have to keep tracking to keep yourself accountable.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mistletoe)
    On a 1600 kcal diet. Taken me a week or so to get used to it, but it's fine now. If I go over the limit I just go for a walk for as long as I need to burn off the excess calories. Gotta say I enjoy limitting my food as much as I enjoyed stuffing my face, there was no pleasure in eating before, I just did it so much.
    I started counting calories on Tuesday 25th October. Every day since then these have been my surpluses/deficits:

Target: 1,930 kcal
    (minus indicates I ate over the target, positive indicates a calorie deficit from that target)
    309, -183, -748, 139, 286, -291, -1329, -324, 414, -692, 101, -167, 57, 157, 86
    Target changed to 1600 kcals:
    -338, 53, 14, 112, -1177, -1163, 27, 7, -1093, 161, 109, 8, 163, 15 (today)
    Total of deficits: 2218
    Total of surpluses: 7505
    Excess calorie intake (from targets): 5287

So it seems I'm having a few seriously bad pig-out days. Hopefully I can fix that as time goes by. I need to find the cause of those pig-outs really, I didn't realise there were so many. So my next target is maintain a the current deficit for as long as possible.

Key to this is my current midnight routine, where I starve myself for most of the day and then eat a large meal just after midnight, then I wake up and don't feel that hungry, and try to maintain that for as long as possible preferrably the entire day, and then have bits and bobs to reach the target intake just before midnight, and go for any necessary walks.

If my calculations are correct I have averaged 1953 kcals per day over this period, which sounds a lot better than looking at the data, as I was probably between 3000 and 4000 before I started dieting.
    Not quite sure I follow your logic, here. From your food diary, you were struggling to remain within your target of 1,900KCal - out of fifteen days, you were over this target on seven on them - roughly half of the time. You were also 'under' your target by only 50/70 calories on a further two days - this is such a small number of calories that it's within the normal margin of error (weighing errors/composition differences etc). So out of 15 days, you ate either more than or roughly equal to your target on 9 of them.

With this in mind, it's not a terribly good idea to attempt to cut your target by another 300Kcal a day - it is rather setting yourself up for failure. I'm not trying to be mean here, but just to help you.

ReputationRep:
    Just started my own little diet a week ago after 18 months of raw gluttony. 15st6 need to be at 13st. 1720 cals a day but running well under (about 1300)

This is why I have no sympathy for fatties i am a fussy eater and dont like many healthy foods and its still a stroll in the park

ReputationRep:
    If I go over the limit I just go for a walk for as long as I need to burn off the excess calories.

The above elements to me sound potentially destructive and mentally dangerous.

Stay safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gone Revising II)
    The above elements to me sound potentially destructive and mentally dangerous.

Stay safe.
    Fasting is the new way of doing things, and I've practised it in the past, so it shouldn't be too bad for me. Hopefully I don't lose my gall bladder, but if I do suffer some kind of physical damage I will post it in this thread so you all know to avoid my technique :P by the way, my fast is only a target, very many times I do actually eat throughout the day, particularly if I didn't eat a large enough meal the night before.
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    Just started my own little diet a week ago after 18 months of raw gluttony. 15st6 need to be at 13st. 1720 cals a day but running well under (about 1300)

This is why I have no sympathy for fatties i am a fussy eater and dont like many healthy foods and its still a stroll in the park
    It's only easy if you're a thyroid body-type, where most of your fat is distributed around your body rather than one place.
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Not quite sure I follow your logic, here. From your food diary, you were struggling to remain within your target of 1,900KCal - out of fifteen days, you were over this target on seven on them - roughly half of the time. You were also 'under' your target by only 50/70 calories on a further two days - this is such a small number of calories that it's within the normal margin of error (weighing errors/composition differences etc). So out of 15 days, you ate either more than or roughly equal to your target on 9 of them.

With this in mind, it's not a terribly good idea to attempt to cut your target by another 300Kcal a day - it is rather setting yourself up for failure. I'm not trying to be mean here, but just to help you.
    I missed my targets, but I set my targets high enough for it to not be a problem. My excess was 5287 kcals over 29 days, which is only a 182 surplus per day.

ReputationRep:
    Fasting is the new way of doing things, and I've practised it in the past, so it shouldn't be too bad for me. Hopefully I don't lose my gall bladder, but if I do suffer some kind of physical damage I will post it in this thread so you all know to avoid my technique :P by the way, my fast is only a target, very many times I do actually eat throughout the day, particularly if I didn't eat a large enough meal the night before.

It's only easy if you're a thyroid body-type, where most of your fat is stored in your belly.

I missed my targets, but I set my targets high enough for it to not be a problem. My excess was 5287 kcals over 29 days, which is only a 182 surplus per day.
    I'm not convinced that you want any help from anyone, but your focus is all rather wrong here, I'm afraid. There's a bit of an obsession with counting and calculating calories. Fasting is a very bad idea without medical supervision and blood tests both before and during it and I'd urge anyone reading this not to consider it. You do sound like you have quite a dysfunctional relationship with food and weight and I really hope you can find someone like a dietician who could help you lose weight safely and with the long term in mind.

Incidentally, there's no such thing as a 'thyroid' body type.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    I'm not convinced that you want any help from anyone, but your focus is all rather wrong here, I'm afraid.

Incidentally, there's no such thing as a 'thyroid' body type.
    Explain what I should be doing then, I'm open to contrary ideas, my focus at the moment is just to have a calorie deficit but if you have recommendations then go ahead.

ReputationRep:
    Explain what I should be doing then, I'm open to contrary ideas, my focus at the moment is just to have a calorie deficit but if you have recommendations then go ahead.
    Rather than getting all hung up about calories, have a look at the overall shape of your diet. You've calculated your energy intake to a very high degree of accuracy, so you must have a food diary - this is the key to it. Making a few changes (swapping some foods, maybe looking at when you tend to eat) is a start of a long journey. Also, what about food and mood? Can you keep a diary of this - seeing if there's any correlations between certain moods or times of the day even and food intake?

Lots of small changes, introduced incrementally, add up to a big change over time. And remember than losing weight isn't the difficult bit: keeping it off is the challenge over the long term. Your approach of starvation/obsessive calorie counting might work in the short term, but is unsustainable, will result in you having learnt nothing about making good food choices, and will simply end up with you putting on all the weight you might lose back on and a little bit more to boot. And you don't want that.

Happy to help you further, either on this thread or via PM.

ReputationRep:
    lol

I practised intermittent fasting from Jan - Sep 2012.

It's the things that you are saying that I had issue with not necessarily what you'd like to do. I don't really want an argument, 'Reality Check' has to an extent expressed this.

I genuinely wish you the best of luck though.

Do you lift?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gone Revising II)
    Do you lift?
    No. I used to. I didn't want to be top-heavy and wanted to be good at cardio so I stopped, that's when I got fat. So it didn't really work out too well.

However, I don't want muscle, because it needs to be fed and I hate eating so much. I think when I reach near my target weight I will start doing half-marathons or cross-country.

ReputationRep:
    Hello in here...:hello:
    Was just browsing. How did fasting go? I really like intermittent fasting, and I think it's a shame that people so readily dismiss it out of hand. I think it's backed up by some decent research. It really works for some people.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.