Turn on thread page Beta

Why Cambridge has a higher rate of successul applicants than Oxford? watch

ReputationRep:
    I looked at some websites for the success rate of applicants and Cambridge overall had a bit more than Oxford.Does anyone know why?

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge are less arsey? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I think more people apply to Oxford because of the A*AA+ requirement for all Cambridge courses so Oxford reject more

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, for whatever reason there were ~2000 more applications to Oxford than Cambridge in 2015. It seems reasonable enough to suggest that the lower grade requirements of Oxford led more people to apply, although other factors (e.g. reputation) could have contributed.

It's also worth noting that Oxford offers ~200 fewer undergrad places per year than Cambridge, so Oxford would still have a lower success rate if both had equal numbers of applicants. However, this clearly isn't of much significance in the current difference.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Jess_x)
    I think more people apply to Oxford because of the A*AA+ requirement for all Cambridge courses so Oxford reject more
    Yep.

Also, I *think* (but haven't checked) Oxford may have more "speculative" international applicants due to their slightly higher brand recognition than Cambridge overseas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Yep.

Also, I *think* (but haven't checked) Oxford may have more "speculative" international applicants due to their slightly higher brand recognition than Cambridge overseas.
    Some (possibly) relevant stats. Last year, UK applicants to Cambridge had a 26% success rate, compared to 12.5% for non-UK applicants. For Oxford the figures were 22% and 9.5% respectively.

Not exactly rigorous analysis, but the relative success of international compared to UK applicants is quite a bit lower at Oxford (~0.41 compared to ~0.48), supporting your "speculative applicants" suggestion.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by TheMadScientist)
    Some (possibly) relevant stats. Last year, UK applicants to Cambridge had a 26% success rate, compared to 12.5% for non-UK applicants. For Oxford the figures were 22% and 9.5% respectively.

Not exactly rigorous analysis, but the relative success of international compared to UK applicants is quite a bit lower at Oxford (~0.41 compared to ~0.48), supporting your "speculative applicants" suggestion.
    Back of the net!

(Thanks)

ReputationRep:
    Back of the net!

(Thanks)
    But how come the international student admissions percentage is so much lower? Didn't know there was such a huge difference :/
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by IcedArizona)
    But how come the international student admissions percentage is so much lower? Didn't know there was such a huge difference :/
    Because many will apply for the "name" only but without the required entry requirements and/or good enough English to support a successful application.

ReputationRep:
    Because many will apply for the "name" only but without the required entry requirements and/or good enough English to support a succesful application.
    Oh well that reassures me - shouldn't be in that case at least. Thanks!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.