Turn on thread page Beta

Apparantly women work more than men in general when unpaid work is included lol. What do you think are the best ways to tackle this though apart from more paternity leave.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37767411

ReputationRep:
    Much like the pay-gap statistics thrown around, I imagine this too has been calculated by ignoring important features of work.

And I always find it amusing to read statistics like these, yet I guarantee if I asked a woman and a man in the exact same role in the exact same office with the exact same family life and the exact same amount of experience how long they worked and for how much, they would probably tell me the same amount.

(Original post by Inexorably)
    Much like the pay-gap statistics thrown around, I imagine this too has been calculated by ignoring important features of work.

And I always find it amusing to read statistics like these, yet I guarantee if I asked a woman and a man in the exact same role in the exact same office with the exact same family life and the exact same amount of experience how long they worked and for how much, they would probably tell me the same amount.
    They probably would, there will be grey areas as to what constitutes work. I can imagine the extra hours for women include housework stuff like changing bedding, patting creases out of things and folding pillowcases. Or maybe men don't take as long with the jobs because women get interrupted with phone calls/talk more etc so the jobs get prolonged. I don't know it's a difficult study to do.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.