Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got ABBBU at AS. The U been in maths. I am somewhat confused to what unis will see. I have been told that they wont see the U and they will just see predicted grades. I have also been told they will see U and the other grades, alh whats predicted.
    Help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxJaninexX)
    I got ABBBU at AS. The U been in maths. I am somewhat confused to what unis will see. I have been told that they wont see the U and they will just see predicted grades. I have also been told they will see U and the other grades, alh whats predicted.
    Help!
    Basically your tutor / subject teachers will send off your predicted grades to the uni's, not the actual grades. You've only really got to persuade your teacher you caan get the grade your aiming for in maths, so you get the prediction you want. Only Cambridge and Oxford (the bofs call it oxbridge :cool:) will be able to see your actual grade.

ReputationRep:
    ...oh and, congratz on the grades there :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Im dropping maths, for many reasons. Will this make a difference.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You could decline the grade which would be like never having done it...

ReputationRep:
    If you're not taking Maths on to A2, then you don't put anything. You haven't achieved a grade in Maths, so have no qualification in it. If you are taking it on to A2, then it would simply go down as 'Pending' and your teacher would supply a predicted grade.

And actually, its only Cambridge that know your actual grade. Oxford are as oblivious as the rest.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right. Thanks a lot everyone!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3232)
    And actually, its only Cambridge that know your actual grade. Oxford are as oblivious as the rest.
    That changes as of this year (thats for attempting to humiliate me!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forté)
    That changes as of this year (thats for attempting to humiliate me!)

You must get humiliated extremely easily, and the 2008 Oxford application form does not contain any section to separately enter qualifications. They simply use the UCAS form along with every other university apart from Cambridge which has a separate form asking for UMS scores in each module. Which means that Oxford are just as oblivious about uncertificated qualifications as the rest.

2008 Application form is here:

http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/forms/pdfs/OAF.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3232)
    You must get humiliated extremely easily, and the 2008 Oxford application form does not contain any section to separately enter qualifications. They simply use the UCAS form along with every other university apart from Cambridge which has a separate form asking for UMS scores in each module. Which means that Oxford are just as oblivious about uncertificated qualifications as the rest.

2008 Application form is here:

http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/forms/pdfs/OAF.pdf
    Apologies *takes note of adversaries username*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3232)
    If you're not taking Maths on to A2, then you don't put anything. You haven't achieved a grade in Maths, so have no qualification in it. If you are taking it on to A2, then it would simply go down as 'Pending' and your teacher would supply a predicted grade.
    so basically lets say i got a B in AS MATHS.Im not planning on taking it to A2
    However im not happy with having a B in As so im declining it.I retake it in january.The admission asks me for 3 full A Levels and 1 extra As.That extra AS is the one that im declining.If i do that,can i put
    AS Maths-Pending?
    You are saying "You haven't achieved a grade in Maths, so have no qualification in it."But that doesnt sound right to me.If what you are saying is right,then univ will believe that you are only doing 3 A Levels without an extra AS (If you choose to decline ur AS).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy87)
    so basically lets say i got a B in AS MATHS.Im not planning on taking it to A2
    However im not happy with having a B in As so im declining it.I retake it in january.The admission asks me for 3 full A Levels and 1 extra As.That extra AS is the one that im declining.If i do that,can i put
    AS Maths-Pending?
    You are saying "You haven't achieved a grade in Maths, so have no qualification in it."But that doesnt sound right to me.If what you are saying is right,then univ will believe that you are only doing 3 A Levels without an extra AS (If you choose to decline ur AS).

The bit you quoted at the end was specifically referring to the OP who got a U in their Maths AS, which doesn't count as a grade and therefore isn't a valid qualification (ie with a certificate). In your situation you would put the AS down as 'PENDING - January 2008'.

ReputationRep:
    ^ word. 'U' means ungraded and therefore it will not be certified.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.