58.00%
    Most of the time
    18.00%
    Sometimes
    8.00%
    Never
    16.00%

ReputationRep:
    So I've been using the bus a lot more recently, and always shout "thanks!" when I get off. However nobody else really seems to apart from the odd person. Is this less common than I thought it was?

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed it's not at all common in London but it is in West Yorkshire( where I live) and I always say thank you even if the bus driver is a douche

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheStudent19)
    So I've been using the bus a lot more recently, and always shout "thanks!" when I get off.
    There's no need to shout. Blimey.

I always praise the bus man when departing. 'I like your bald head' I may say on one occasion; 'You stayed very calm in that traffic jam very superbly' I may say in another.

ReputationRep:
    I do. Why shouldn't I? It's free and could motivate someone through their workload.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I usually say: thank you.
    I know that will seem alien to some people on TSR, but I suggest they google: manners.
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    Yes, I always do. It's a nice gesture
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I sometimes say: thank you very much
    But such occasions only occur if I feel the driver is of excellent standards.:yep:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A friend of mine is a lorry-driver. He could drive a thousand miles a day, be stuck in 3 hours of traffic and then arrive with the delivery to be told: "*look at watch* you're late". By about 20 mins. No thank you.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Davalla)
    There's no need to shout blimey.
    He didn't. He shouted "thanks!" :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Always. It's a simple phrase that can really make someone appreciate their job and generally just shows respect for your fellow people

I've noticed it tends to be more gloomy in the more southern regions though. I always remember in Coventry the buses had glass fronted booths that you had to slot the exact change into. You got no change if you put too much in? What kind of barbaric system is that?

ReputationRep:
    I always thank those i come across who provide me a service.

ReputationRep:
    I don't

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TheStudent19)
    So I've been using the bus a lot more recently, and always shout "thanks!" when I get off. However nobody else really seems to apart from the odd person. Is this less common than I thought it was?
    In our area I don't think no one says it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davalla)
    There's no need to shout. Blimey.
    Haha obviously I don't literally scream at the guy, but sometimes you have to be loud to be heard over the crying kid, the van behind that won't stop tooting and that one guy having a coughing fit in the corner. Busses can be noisy places!

ReputationRep:
    I try to as often as I can, however it isn't always possible (for example if the exit door is halfway down the bus and so away from the driver).

Banana

ReputationRep:
    It would be quite interesting to do a larger survey of this taking into account where people are from. I have a feeling that us Londoners have this sort of unwritten code where you never speak on public transport, and never make eye contact with the people around you. Busses and trains have to be the most awkward places! I wonder if thanking the driver is a lot more common elsewhere though which is why I don't see it happen too often here

ReputationRep:
    I always say thanks and I get so anxious on the lead up to getting off the bus because I have to talk to the bus driver again and little things like that make me anxious but then if I didn't say it, I'd feel rude and that would lead to more anxiety. I can't win

sometimes...
    When I am running for the bus and they stop it I always say thank you.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    everyone is always moody in the bus/train....so my mood drops too and even the bus driver looks like their gonna fall asleep

ReputationRep:
    Yeah - everyone does around here it's pretty here. its pretty routine nowadays -

ReputationRep:
    i tend to say thankyou or thanks lol

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.