Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm half a term into A level geography with OCR (new spec) and we are doing the 'changing spaces, making places' topic - which to be honest feels like a joke! I can't see how it's supposed to relate to geography in any way, seems more like sociology? So far my lessons have been along the lines of 'Look at this photo, how does it make you feel?' 'What makes a place special to you?'. Lots of people in my class feel the same as me - anyone else wondering wtf is going on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Sorry for the late reply to this post. We are also studying the new OCR spec and my whole class feels the same. I believe it is because there is very little material for the teachers to prepare lessons with and so coming up with resources/practise questions is quite difficult. Now we are at christmas are you finding it any easier? I have had several meetings with my teachers and they are very helpful and things are slowly coming together but it is still the subject I am least confident in..

Merry christmas! x

ReputationRep:
    Hi pheebsdancer, since posting that I've also met with one of my teachers - she straight out admitted the department was really struggling to teach the content and she also told me about the lack of resources, so not very helpful in terms of getting on with the course but reassuring to know there is cause for my feelings! Like with you, my whole class feels pretty similar, so just hoping it does all sort itself out. Hope you had a good xmas and hope your geo gets better!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My class is struggling too. We all despise the topic (not helped by our teacher being dreadful). We all switch off in lessons as we honestly don's care about the topic AT ALL. Already 2 people have dropped out of the course, leaving me and one other. The only resource we have to go on is the specimen paper and that is going to be our mocks- its a complete joke!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, we're doing the weird new module thing too and what we've got from our mocks is to use the definitions and concepts from the textbook (like the 3 aspects of a brand or whatever) to make your answers less wishy-washy

ReputationRep:
    hey, im doing the new ocr geog spec too atm I'm going water cycle (earth's life support machines) and human rights. we have finished coastal landscapes and global migration.
    I think I'm the only one in my class who is finding revising/making notes a nightmare! I feel like the textbook doesn't explain the content well and I was wondering it anybody knows of any good resources/books that might be useful

ReputationRep:
    Well Geography is horrific for everyone. I am taking AQA Geography but it seems GCSE Geography is out to get everyone. I hate having have such detailed answers for 6 and 9 markers AND keeping it concise. Our teachers give us a mark a minute but with the amount you have to know how is it possible?

I just had a 32 mark test in 32 minutes if that makes you feel better.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how many of you this will help but for those doing OCR A level geography here is a link to my website which contains some revision material and is constantly being update.. www.bridgingthegap-alevels.com

ReputationRep:
    Hey pheebsdancer, I'm using the water notes right now to do some revision and although this is the first time I've looked at it, I love your website so far!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hating geography so much. I absolutely despise every aspect of it. Tried dropping it a few months ago but wasnt allowed and now i still feel like dropping it but at the same time i feel like i should just get on with it since im halfway through the course anyway? im so behind with all of it and i know i'll get a bad grade by the end of it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing OCR geography too, I can't motivate myself to do any work for it, I thought I'd really enjoy geography but I really don't. I haven't gotten higher than a C all year. Has anyone had any luck finding any good revision resources or anything?

ReputationRep:
    i have the same problem! there are no resources and to make it even worse i have to teach myself the course because of a mix up in my schools scheduling which meant i am busy in another class when geography is happening!! its very annoying as all i want to do is get a good grade and finish it as i have no motivation to study and i feel like i know nothing which makes me feel even more unmotivated i have tried a number of times to put resources on the website but they have all been declined for 'advertising' so im not sure what to do because i do have some help

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.

I'm assuming most of you will now be in A2, and whilst the CSMP topic was by far the most strange, I feel like the content of even the latter modules is somewhat odd.

I have a mock tomorrow morning, with the whole class struggling with at least a few aspects of the course.

I just wanted to gauge your feelings now the course has been running over a year and see how you felt about it

ReputationRep:
    So so so stressed! My mock went really badly because I didn't getting round to doing any revision. The papers are horrible - the fact that they expect you to write so many bloody essays drive me insane and yeah the textbook sucks... I've been trying to find some revision resources but it's so hard and I literally don't know so much of the content, there's just so much and so many case studies you're expected to know... >.> Almost given up and just hoping to resit next year

How have you been finding it?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I share my condolences.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I’m doing Edexcel Geography and content is understandable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olie212)
    So so so stressed! My mock went really badly because I didn't getting round to doing any revision. The papers are horrible - the fact that they expect you to write so many bloody essays drive me insane and yeah the textbook sucks... I've been trying to find some revision resources but it's so hard and I literally don't know so much of the content, there's just so much and so many case studies you're expected to know... >.> Almost given up and just hoping to resit next year

Hi Olie

Our class also had a mock before half term. Our teacher said OCR had just released a new set of papers over Christmas that she wasn’t expecting so I can only assume we have set the new paper.

In terms of that mock, the whole class feel like they struggled, some of the questions seem so ridiculous it’s baffling how it actually got accreditation. ‘How to past flows affect place making processes’? Wtf?

We are completing our coursework which is going dreadfully. How about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wellsy2000)
    Hi Olie

Our class also had a mock before half term. Our teacher said OCR had just released a new set of papers over Christmas that she wasn’t expecting so I can only assume we have set the new paper.

In terms of that mock, the whole class feel like they struggled, some of the questions seem so ridiculous it’s baffling how it actually got accreditation. ‘How to past flows affect place making processes’? Wtf?

We are completing our coursework which is going dreadfully. How about you?
    I think we had a different paper actually but it was one of the past/specimen papers but yeah that question does sound horrible.. I hated changing spaces making places

I completed my coursework after several breakdowns and I even went as far as to trying to drop geography haha, it really did drive me insane so I'm so glad I've got that off my back now.

I have two different teachers and with one of them we have just started revision and with the other one we are yet to finish trade (which I'm finding so boring) and then she's got to teach us Human Rights as well. Been having to do so many essays though in other subjects as well and its just a bit of an essay overload at the moment!

ReputationRep:
    oh god i can relate, changing places making spaces was the worst topic by far! Nearly finishing climate change and disease dilemmas, then its all over thank god!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olie212)

this is the most relatable thing i have ever seen

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 14, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.