The Student Room Group

John Lewis or Selfridges ?

Poll

Which company would you take a Christmas temp with ?

Hi,

I have recently attended interviews for both John Lewis and Selfridges for christmas temp.

I have been made an offer from both, with the hours being after collage. I was hoping that people would offer their opinion on which company I should go for and why?
Reply 1
Hi, what was your Selfridges interview like? I have one coming up :smile:

I worked at John lewis as a Christmas temp last year, it was a great experience and generally all the staff are lovely too and really help you to be comfortable

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Cameron19
Hi,

I have recently attended interviews for both John Lewis and Selfridges for christmas temp.

I have been made an offer from both, with the hours being after collage. I was hoping that people would offer their opinion on which company I should go for and why?

Draw up a list of pros and cons for yourself, as one store can be vastly different to another store. John Lewis does have a good reputation as an employer though.

1) Who pays better?
2) Who offers better hours?
3) Any overtime available for extra money?
4) Commuting/time costs?
5) Employee discount- when does it kick in, how much?
6) Any opportunity to be kept on?
7) What work will you be doing?

Consider the people who interviewed you as they will be your colleagues. Were they fun? Easy to get along with?

Just a few things to consider.
Self ridges apparently pay really well however John Lewis is known to be a great employer. Do you know the rate of pay for them both?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by sighsigh
Hi, what was your Selfridges interview like? I have one coming up :smile:

I worked at John lewis as a Christmas temp last year, it was a great experience and generally all the staff are lovely too and really help you to be comfortable

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

I applied last Wednesday, as a Christmas Sales Associate for Food and Fashion. That night, I received an email from the recruitment consultant asking me to come for the group interview the next day (that's most likely why I did not have to complete a video interview or any online tests) and that I had to prepare for a 'Myself presentation'.

I researched the company, and revised at school regarding their history. My interview was at 5:00pm and I arrived at the team entrance at 4:45pm. We sat in the front reception and two consultants came and took our photos and passports. We sat down and were lead to a meeting room. There was around 5/6 managers
who introduced themselves. We sat in tables and the hiring manager led a video about the stores history; then half the group were to do their group presentations and the other half the 1:1 interviews first, I was in group 1 and there were 5 other candidates. We were taken in another room and there was two managers; the main hiring branch manager and a department manager. We sat and they asked who wanted to go first, I did, to show I was confident (though I really wasn't) I spoke for 2 minutes using my prompts and it went surprisingly well. Then I watched the other candidates. When we were done we were lead to outside the 1:1 meeting areas.

In the mean time, you sit with the other candidates and everyone was really lovely, it was not at all competitive and everyone spoke about their presentations and current jobs. I was last in to the 1:1 interview and we just sat on a sofa and for around 10 minutes discussed availability and departments. If, like you said, you've worked at John Lewis, you'll be fine, I had no experience !. Then we were walked out the store.

I can promise it is actually a really enjoyable experience, just be yourself because all their doing is assessing if you're the right candidate for their company, which is in a very busy environment.

Good Luck! and just be confident, research the company, and have examples.

* something to note is they may not put you in the requested department.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending