The Student Room Group

Cut off

Going to be starting at a new waitrose on the 21st of november i dont really understand how the cut off dates work what is the retro and what is the payroll if someone could help me understand what my december pay will be
Original post by deb12
Going to be starting at a new waitrose on the 21st of november i dont really understand how the cut off dates work what is the retro and what is the payroll if someone could help me understand what my december pay will be

Can't tell you specifically for Waitrose, but the principle is this -

Getting paid is not straight forward, people are on different salaries, they get promoted, they have different pension calculations, they join, they leave etc etc. So the payroll clerk who sets up each employee's pay data has a deal of work to do each month to make these changes - with all the checking and double checking that is required. That means, for salaries t be paid at th end of the month, there is usually a cut-off day in the middle of the month, for changes to be made. Any changes made after that date are not actioned in that month, but hold over to the next month.

So if you join a large company with a complex staff structure after about 15th-18th of the month, the chances are you might not get paid at all, or you might not get paid correctly, until the end of the first full month of employment - when you will get that month's pay, plus the few days of the previous month.

So if you join Waitrose on 21 November, you may not be paid on the last working day of Nov. The Dec pay dy is usually brought forward to before Christmas, say the last working day before Christmas Eve, and in your case you will then get your Dec pay plus your little bit of Nov pay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending