Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, what are everyone's opinions on testing chemicals, medicines and other such pharmaceuticals on animals like beagles, rats and rhesus monkeys?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    For preservation of human life, no problem whatsoever.

Cosmetic testing on animals I disagree with.

ReputationRep:
    I also disagree with cosmetic but in the same respect - it's not like we can really do much about it after all.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by SilverActor2033)
    I also disagree with cosmetic but in the same respect - it's not like we can really do much about it after all.
    Ban animal testing for cosmetic purposes and force the companies to pay human volunteers. Or force companies who use animal testing to put a smoking type label on the front of products.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tubbz)
    Ban animal testing for cosmetic purposes and force the companies to pay human volunteers. Or force companies who use animal testing to put a smoking type label on the front of products.
    Well, one of the main reasons for using animal participants is to make sure it's safe-ish for human trials. For example thalidomide - has two optical isomers meaning it has two forms that are mirror images of each other but this makes them very different.
    One isomer provides relief from morning sickness in pregnant women.
    The other causes the child to be born with severe physical deformities.

At this point, animal trials were not available and as such, we delved straight into humans taking the drug.
    This is why we often require animal trials following on from animal and human cell trials.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by SilverActor2033)
    Well, one of the main reasons for using animal participants is to make sure it's safe-ish for human trials. For example thalidomide - has two optical isomers meaning it has two forms that are mirror images of each other but this makes them very different.
    One isomer provides relief from morning sickness in pregnant women.
    The other causes the child to be born with severe physical deformities.

At this point, animal trials were not available and as such, we delved straight into humans taking the drug.
    This is why we often require animal trials following on from animal and human cell trials.
    Valid point. But how does that affect the cosmetic industry? Unless it is medical research, animal test subject should not be allowed.

Back to my previous point. Ban cosmetic labs from using non-human test subjects. It's non essential research. (There is plenty of exploratory animal research done which is incredibly beneficial. I don't believe any of that requires hurting the animals)

ReputationRep:
    they should be tested on Brexiters

:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tubbz)
    Valid point. But how does that affect the cosmetic industry? Unless it is medical research, animal test subject should not be allowed.

Back to my previous point. Ban cosmetic labs from using non-human test subjects. It's non essential research. (There is plenty of exploratory animal research done which is incredibly beneficial. I don't believe any of that requires hurting the animals)
    Some companies use the loophole of medical research (such as botox as it's technically a medical procedure) to disguise cosmetic as medical.
    :/
    I agree wholly on the using cosmetics on humans as this is their specific design use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    they should be tested on Brexiters

:dontknow:
    Yep, the rhesus monkeys have a higher cognitive function than brexiters.

ReputationRep:
    For healthy/well-being I don't object to animal testing to much, but I vehemently oppose it for cosmetics. My views are similar to when it comes to meat consumption: only for your health/well-being, not to be consumed for pleasure.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by MasterJack)
    For healthy/well-being I don't object to animal testing to much, but I vehemently oppose it for cosmetics. My views are similar to when it comes to meat consumption: only for your health/well-being, not to be consumed for pleasure.
    It's kind of difficult not to be happy eating bacon, and I'm sorry but I will not stop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tubbz)
    It's kind of difficult not to be happy eating bacon, and I'm sorry but I will not stop.
    Yes... I would eat bacon for religious reasons! It's more about moral/ethical consistency to me. If I'm going to eat meat for my health, considering how ritual slaughter mandates throat-cutting, I would rather eat bacon.

ReputationRep:
    As far as cosmetics and cleaning products etc are concerned I think it should be illegal. There are already numerous products and thousands of ingredients on the market that have been shown to be safe, so I see absolutely no reason to be testing new ones on animals. Front line medical research however I can understand to some extent, as long as the scientists aim to reduce the suffering to as little as possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.