Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=noctivaga]Oxford is mentioned in LSE's undergraduate prospectus, Cambridge isn't, it's as simple as that, really. Surely, neither Oxford or Cambridge can be objective in their judgments of their relative brilliance, so we need a third party, which is where LSE conveniently enough steps in as our guiding hero and proclaims Oxford as the best university. Here is the direct quote from the prospectus: "If you prefer ... the traditions of dreaming spires, then LSE will not suit you."
    QUOTE]

Where is Oxford mentioned by name in that quote, and furthermore, the quote isn't talking about the academic standard of oxbridge; it is saying that if you like archaic collegiate unis you shouldn't apply to somewhere as modern as LSE. And may I point out that 'dreaming spires' just means the beautiful and historic buildings which are to be found in both Oxford and Cambridge (if it said 'the city of dreaming spires', then it would clearly be referring specifically to Oxford).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    Is this another test of etiquette Pol?
    No... This is just me being evil [evil grin]!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minta)
    (Original post by noctivaga)
    Oxford is mentioned in LSE's undergraduate prospectus, Cambridge isn't, it's as simple as that, really. Surely, neither Oxford or Cambridge can be objective in their judgments of their relative brilliance, so we need a third party, which is where LSE conveniently enough steps in as our guiding hero and proclaims Oxford as the best university. Here is the direct quote from the prospectus: "If you prefer ... the traditions of dreaming spires, then LSE will not suit you."
    Where is Oxford mentioned by name in that quote, and furthermore, the quote isn't talking about the academic standard of oxbridge; it is saying that if you like archaic collegiate unis you shouldn't apply to somewhere as modern as LSE. And may I point out that 'dreaming spires' just means the beautiful and historic buildings which are to be found in both Oxford and Cambridge (if it said 'the city of dreaming spires', then it would clearly be referring specifically to Oxford).
    I'd say it implies Oxford. When I went to Cambridge I was hard pressed to find many spires whereas in Oxford whenever you raised your head there was a jungle of spires to be seen.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what you want. Cambridge is a better place for me because I hate big cities (and Oxford seemed a bit dark and dreary when I went there, but that's just me). Also Cambridge's course is infinitely better for me than one of the Oxford ones would have been (and I get to have supervisions right where the structure of DNA was discovered, sooo cool) But putting bias aside - neither is really better than the other. Oxford, tragically, seems to have a better international reputation than Cambridge but part of my life's work will be to change that...

ReputationRep:
    Is Cambridge better than Oxford?

For teaching quality? Yes
    For research quality? Yes
    For chance of getting 1st/2:1? Yes
    For employability? Yes (miniscule)
    For accommodation? Yes
    For cost of living? Yes
    For global prestige? No
    For national prestige? No
    For library facilities? No
    For IT facilities? No
    For shopping? No
    For restaurants? No
    For nightclubs? No
    For bars? No
    For live bands? No
    For classical music? No
    For drama? No
    For art? No
    For politics? No
    For networking? No
    For journalism/media? No
    For an awesome university experience? - No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Is Cambridge better than Oxford?

For chance of getting 1st/2:1? Yes
    Can you tell us more about this? Would be interested to see some figures if you have them, or a link.

ReputationRep:
    Times & Sunday Times tables regularly give Cambridge ~90% getting 1sts/2.1s, Oxford around 85%. But... there's a lot more emphasis on sciences than arts at Cambridge, where proportions getting top grades are always higher. It also explains Cambridge's better employability rating - people going into scientific research directly related to their academic study, whereas the 'arty' world of law, management consultancy, publishing etc is a lot more Oxford dominated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Times & Sunday Times tables regularly give Cambridge ~90% getting 1sts/2.1s, Oxford around 85%. But... there's a lot more emphasis on sciences than arts at Cambridge, where proportions getting top grades are always higher. It also explains Cambridge's better employability rating - people going into scientific research directly related to their academic study, whereas the 'arty' world of law, management consultancy, publishing etc is a lot more Oxford dominated.
    Actually..i'll think you'll find law is Cambridge territory

G

ReputationRep:
    For pure academia, you would favour Cambridge.

But who cares about that? If you go somewhere for 3/4 years (even more if you do PHD) then you want a decent experience, and Oxford offers everything.

Academically, it's still superb.

You can't argue that the university experience at Ox is better than Cam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdasdagaga)
    no...
    Yes it is....been top of the tables for the past few years consistently.

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Yes it is....been top of the tables for the past few years consistently.

G
    I'm not talking about which is better on the academic tables, I'm talking about the number of Ox/Cam lawyers at top law firms. Fact: every magic circle firm accepts more Ox than Cam each year for training contracts.

ReputationRep:
    Am I uniquely qualified on this board to comment because I have been to both? I was an undergrad at Cambridge and am now a post-grad at Oxford.

I have to say I prefer Cambridge.

Most people apply to one or the other because they prefer the town (unless you are doing a course which isn't offered by the other, obviously). I come from a small quiet place so I prefer a small quiet place. But if i came from london i am sure i would find cambridge too quiet. When I went to open days at Newcastle and Birmingham no-one told me anything about the courses. They just went on and on about how many pubs, clubs and parties they went to. Total hell for a shy wallflower like me. So I didn't apply to these universities. Oxford is hardly raving but it's still very busy for me.

I have found my Oxford experience to be a very lonely one. I don't know whether this is to do with Oxford itself or more to do with the difference between being an undergrad and a postgrad. Or it could be due to being at a grad college? I don't know.

I find the clubs and societies at Oxford VERY competitive. Can't do anything for fun. For example, I just want to play in a band or orchestra which I can enjoy. I don't want to have to go through a very competitive audition and then practise for hours every night just to keep up. that would be torture. I was able to play at this level at Cambridge but at Oxford I haven't been able to find any suitable music society to join.

I can't really comment on the teaching aspects because I am not doing a taught course.

The one thing which I prefer in Oxford is that people don't make fun of my accent all the time like they did in Cambridge. I don't mean people in the university so much, but people in shops and stuff. For example, if I ever spoke to a cashier in Cambridge, I was almost bound to get ridiculed. The locals seems to think they are so clever or something. but this doesn't really happen in Oxford. Maybe this is because the Oxford community is more diverse?

Just my thoughts on it anyway. There is no right or wrong answer because what is right for one person isn't necessarily right for another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babyballerina)
    I have found my Oxford experience to be a very lonely one. I don't know whether this is to do with Oxford itself or more to do with the difference between being an undergrad and a postgrad. Or it could be due to being at a grad college? I don't know.
    For postgrad Oxford is utter ****!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    I'm not talking about which is better on the academic tables, I'm talking about the number of Ox/Cam lawyers at top law firms. Fact: every magic circle firm accepts more Ox than Cam each year for training contracts.
    Is that from a law degree though?? Or from the one-year conversion course after say...a degree in english?? You'd have to look at the statistics specific to an undergraduate law degree.

Plus...isn't Oxford a Jurisprudence course?? Whereas Cambridge is their law tripos??

G

ReputationRep:
    It's for Oxford vs Cambridge undergraduate degrees. I'm not talking about which law course is better, I'm sure Cambridge's is in fact, or whether they did a conversion course or not, I'm just saying more Oxford than Cambridge undergrads end up in magic circle firms.

ReputationRep:
    Is Oxford really that competitive with societies/clubs/sports etc.? You'd think it'd be much more relaxed, away from the academic pressures etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdasdagaga)
    Cambridge as a place seems to be very boring. Not to be Cambridge bashing, but when i went there, there was very little to do esp on the social side..e.g. lack of half decent clubs, together with pretty horrid weather, i was not impressed.
    Yes I do agree on that part, it just depends what you're looking for - But I'd be surprised if someone could say that the general university experience is better at Cam than Ox, as Ox is a city.

It does seem that overall, Oxford is stronger if you consider things outside academia, which I feel is important.

ReputationRep:
    For musical groups it is very competitive - basically they're top class standard, produce CDs and tour internationally, so it's often Grade 8 only. But it's very easy to start your own band. For clubs and societies if you want to chill out and enjoy it you can, it's if you want a committee post (President, Treasurer etc) it can get very competitive. And nasty!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    It's for Oxford vs Cambridge undergraduate degrees. I'm not talking about which law course is better, I'm sure Cambridge's is in fact, or whether they did a conversion course or not, I'm just saying more Oxford than Cambridge undergrads end up in magic circle firms.
    Fair enough...but seeing as i'm doing a law degree...it's gotta be Cambridge for me.

With regards to comments about the size of Cambridge...it's whatever suits each inidividual person...some people prefer Cambridge...some people prefer Oxford...Some people prefer Leeds cos it's probably got the best nightlife for students in the country...each to their own

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    Is Oxford really that competitive with societies/clubs/sports etc.? You'd think it'd be much more relaxed, away from the academic pressures etc.
    For elected positions it is, but if you want to join and be a normal member it's fine. Music is very competitive because of the standard of play; but than there's nothing anyone can do about that.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2004
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.