The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Jools
I think this concludes the thread - Cambridge if you want something small and quiet, Oxford if you'd prefer something a bit livelier and busier.

What's surprised me is so many people saying that because they've lived in the countryside they'd want that at still at uni... I've practically lived in the country (small town of 9,000) and thought it was completely boring, dull and dead, which is why I'm now attracted to the bright lights of the city.

Just because I don't like Judge Jules doesn't mean I don't like lively and exciting things Jools :P. I just don't think you can judge a uni by what djs have played there.
babyballerina
Jools - I know where you live

:eek: :wink:
Acaila
I just don't think you can judge a uni by what djs have played there.

I was taking the piss with the Judge Jules comment, it was after ASNaC saying how irrelevant nightlife is to "the university experience".
Reply 63
{bows} My apologies then.

However if Europe ever play at Cambridge I won't be saying it's irrelevant :biggrin:
JUSTaGIRL
That's nonesense. Some of my best friends are graduate students, the JCR and MCR are quite well-integrated at my college, and my faculty is quite heavily biased towards graduates' academic needs. Oxford offers some of the best graduate courses in the world, particularly in the humanities.

Maybe just my college then. They're odd. We sarcastically renamed them "Fun-CR" and they adopted it.
Reply 65
Jools
I think this concludes the thread - Cambridge if you want something small and quiet, Oxford if you'd prefer something a bit livelier and busier.

What's surprised me is so many people saying that because they've lived in the countryside they'd want that at still at uni... I've practically lived in the country (small town of 9,000) and thought it was completely boring, dull and dead, which is why I'm now attracted to the bright lights of the city.

I think that pretty much describes me too. I live in a small town of maybe 2,000 people, with a disproportionally large number of old people, hotels, and touristy shite, and it's pretty boring to tell the truth. I hadn't really thought about this before, Cambridge just never really appealed to me I guess, it just seemed boring.

Now I've just got to hope I get the results I need to get in - 13 days to go!
calumc
13 days to go!

Didn't realise it was that close... I wonder which exam board's gonna mess up, I think it's AQA's turn... (jinx :tongue: )
Reply 67
Jools
Didn't realise it was that close... I wonder which exam board's gonna mess up, I think it's AQA's turn... (jinx :tongue: )

It's 23 days still in England/Wales. Which is even better!
Reply 68
calumc
I think that pretty much describes me too. I live in a small town of maybe 2,000 people, with a disproportionally large number of old people, hotels, and touristy shite, and it's pretty boring to tell the truth. I hadn't really thought about this before, Cambridge just never really appealed to me I guess, it just seemed boring.

Now I've just got to hope I get the results I need to get in - 13 days to go!

I live in a town of 5000 which is dull boring and I want to get out of it asap. But I still love Cambridge.
Cambridge is not THAT little. The population is about 100,000 I believe. One Olympic stadium full :smile:
Reply 70
It's bigger than I was expecting to be honest :eek:
Population of Cambridge in 2001 = 108,863

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/pyramids/pages/12ub.asp

Population of Oxford in 2001 = 134,248

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/pyramids/pages/38uc.asp

I didn't know that. I just googled for it. Interesting.
Reply 72
In response to the whole clubbing and DJ thing with Judge Jules.... i really don't like that sort of music or clubbing....so i couldn't care less whether or not Cambridge has any clubs or where judge jules has been. But if that is your sort of thing..then i can understand why you'd choose oxford over cambridge.

As long as there are relatively famous acts doing gigs in cambridge from time to time....i'm happy :tongue:

G
Reply 73
gzftan
In response to the whole clubbing and DJ thing with Judge Jules.... i really don't like that sort of music or clubbing....so i couldn't care less whether or not Cambridge has any clubs or where judge jules has been. But if that is your sort of thing..then i can understand why you'd choose oxford over cambridge.

That's very much my feeling. But if things like that are important to you, obviously Oxford is the place to be. Personally, so long as there are some night clubs, I'm not worried, but then again I grew up in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, where there are only four clubs, so I am used to having a limited selection of late night entertainment.
Reply 74
ASNaC
That's very much my feeling. But if things like that are important to you, obviously Oxford is the place to be. Personally, so long as there are some night clubs, I'm not worried, but then again I grew up in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, where there are only four clubs, so I am used to having a limited selection of late night entertainment.

I've heard of the Corn Exchange....are there any other live venues in Cambridge...or is that the main one??

G
Reply 75
gzftan
I've heard of the Corn Exchange....are there any other live venues in Cambridge...or is that the main one??

G

There's a few, but the Corn Exchange is the only really big one. Ben Folds is playing there in November, so I'm incredibly jealous of anyone going.
Reply 76
RxB
There's a few, but the Corn Exchange is the only really big one. Ben Folds is playing there in November, so I'm incredibly jealous of anyone going.

Fair enough..just looking at the site now...Maroon 5 in fresher's week...wow...that'd been cool...sold out though.

G
Reply 77
gzftan
Fair enough..just looking at the site now...Maroon 5 in fresher's week...wow...that'd been cool...sold out though.

G

The other main venues are The Junction, the Man On The Moon and the Portland Arms. The Junction's a bit smaller and the Moon and Portland are a lot smaller, so you're unlikely to see Black Sabbath at any of them.

London's close, though.
Reply 78
RxB
The other main venues are The Junction, the Man On The Moon and the Portland Arms. The Junction's a bit smaller and the Moon and Portland are a lot smaller, so you're unlikely to see Black Sabbath at any of them.

London's close, though.

Cheers for the info! :smile:

Not a big black sabbath fan though :tongue:

G
Reply 79
I thought I'd like Oxford before going up there because I wanted the bigger city, but when I got there I just felt really out of place, like Oxford was deliberately trying to be different and really enforce upon you its heritage and the fact that it's a university town. In contrast, despite being pretty much built up around the colleges, I felt that Cambridge had moved on more. Therefore Cambridge is better :smile:.

Latest

Trending

Trending