Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok so im 23 years old left school with just 3 or 4 gcse went to college for a year ... dropped out started working a few *****y jobs here and there and just last year i found a job in security and i worked there for a year and 5 months ago the company closed down and i was made redundant since then i have just been laying around the house not doing anything and my mother is on the verge of kicking me out of the house if i dont find a job but with barely any experience or qualification how do i find a good job?

ReputationRep:
    maybe get another security job and study part time in the evenings etc. for something better ?

ReputationRep:
    Go back to college?

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you head back to college part time or something? Or maybe look at some sort of apprenticeship/training role? Most retail jobs do not require qualifications either.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you make an appointment to see the Careers Advisor in your local Job Centre? They would be able to help you make some sort of a plan for what might interest you work wise in the future. Oh and I know that you only need 4 GCSE's at Grade C to be allowed to do a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma. This takes two years and is equivalent to 3 A Levels. You get 200 hours work experience included in the qualification as well. Why not see what your local college offers in way of BTEC's ? Or if you don't have the required GCSE's an Adult Access course. It's worth 5 GCSE's at Grade C and 3 A Levels. Even if you never wanted to go to uni having those qualifications would open up lots of doors for you work wise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheStudent19)
    Why don't you head back to college part time or something? Or maybe look at some sort of apprenticeship/training role? Most retail jobs do not require qualifications either.
    For some reason i feel like at 23 ive burnt my bridges....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stinglikeabee)
    For some reason i feel like at 23 ive burnt my bridges....
    Buddy whether you're 23 or 53 you always have options. Don't allow yourself to get stuck in a rut, there's always a way to get to where you want to be. Do you have any contacts from your last job that can get you another security job? Is security even what you still want to do? Have you looked at other venues that are hiring?

Someone mentioned heading to the job centre. This might be an idea. Maybe temporarily you can whip up a CV and hand it into various shops to try to score some retail work if this suits you. You have a boatload of options if you're willing to make some compromises, and the job centre may be able to help you if you have a good idea of a career that actually interests you.

You're only young, don't feel like you're out of options mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheStudent19)
    Buddy whether you're 23 or 53 you always have options. Don't allow yourself to get stuck in a rut, there's always a way to get to where you want to be. Do you have any contacts from your last job that can get you another security job? Is security even what you still want to do? Have you looked at other venues that are hiring?

Someone mentioned heading to the job centre. This might be an idea. Maybe temporarily you can whip up a CV and hand it into various shops to try to score some retail work if this suits you. You have a boatload of options if you're willing to make some compromises, and the job centre may be able to help you if you have a good idea of a career that actually interests you.

You're only young, don't feel like you're out of options mate
    Thanks for the encouragement mate im going to stop being a lazy person and going to let go of the habits that have damaged my life

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.