Turn on thread page Beta

how to figure out what to do with your life/your career? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm so stuck. I've just started A Levels but I don't know whether I want to be a physicist, writer or historian, business person etc. If you've been through a similar experience, how did you navigate it? How do you figure out what you want to do as a degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunweirdo)
    I'm so stuck. I've just started A Levels but I don't know whether I want to be a physicist, writer or historian, business person etc. If you've been through a similar experience, how did you navigate it? How do you figure out what you want to do as a degree?
    Here's my advice. I'm not sure what kind of a person you are and that makes it hard for me to tailor my advice to you exactly but here's what I think. Use Year 12 to explore, there are hundreds of programmes that give you days of work experience, some even paid, where you can find out whether that job is for you. If you want help, PM me and we can search together. I am the best google'er ever. I assure you, there are opportunities for you to work out what you want to do. Clearly going to Sixth Form is not the issue, some people don't know in general and in my opinion waste two years when they could have made money and explored life to find out.

It sounds like you've got interests and talents left right and centre and I'd say try keep your options open as much as possible. This is perfectly normal. Until of course you can no longer avoid commitment and have to choose. If you believe in fate or whatever you believe in, you will end up becoming one of those one day, to which I believe your experience will hopefully help you decide.

(Original post by X_alwayssmiley)
    Here's my advice. I'm not sure what kind of a person you are and that makes it hard for me to tailor my advice to you exactly but here's what I think. Use Year 12 to explore, there are hundreds of programmes that give you days of work experience, some even paid, where you can find out whether that job is for you. If you want help, PM me and we can search together. I am the best google'er ever. I assure you, there are opportunities for you to work out what you want to do. Clearly going to Sixth Form is not the issue, some people don't know in general and in my opinion waste two years when they could have made money and explored life to find out.

It sounds like you've got interests and talents left right and centre and I'd say try keep your options open as much as possible. This is perfectly normal. Until of course you can no longer avoid commitment and have to choose. If you believe in fate or whatever you believe in, you will end up becoming one of those one day, to which I believe your experience will hopefully help you decide.
    Thats quite a lot of words. However if you read between the lines, all you get is a blank post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laomedeia)
    Thats quite a lot of words. However if you read between the lines, all you get is a blank post.
    My post won't show up or my advice was useless?

The latter.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.