Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello to all!

Today I got my AS grades. I got high B in chem. high B in English Lit. C in Bio and an D in Physics. Gutted and rather shocked.

So, I'm dropping Physics and I'll be picking up AS Politics instead.

I'll be carrying on Chem, English Lit and Bio. With 1 resit in Chem, 1 resit (coursework) in Bio and 2 resits in Biology. (some in Jan, some in June)

Anyway, I won't be applying to Universities this year. But people say I should apply (for law). But I see no reason. My AS grades will be weak compared to others. SO MY PLAN IS that I do all my a-levels and apply next year whilst taking a gap year where I might do some voluntary work or paid work to gather funds. What do you guys/girls think?

Hafzal x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hafzal)
    Hello to all!

Today I got my AS grades. I got high B in chem. high B in English Lit. C in Bio and an D in Physics. Gutted and rather shocked.

So, I'm dropping Physics and I'll be picking up AS Politics instead.

I'll be carrying on Chem, English Lit and Bio. With 1 resit in Chem, 1 resit (coursework) in Bio and 2 resits in Biology. (some in Jan, some in June)

Anyway, I won't be applying to Universities this year. But people say I should apply (for law). But I see no reason. My AS grades will be weak compared to others. SO MY PLAN IS that I do all my a-levels and apply next year whilst taking a gap year where I might do some voluntary work or paid work to gather funds. What do you guys/girls think?

Hafzal x
    Sounds like a good idea to me :yy: Just make sure you think it through though, i mean, this is kinda your life we're talking about here...:rolleyes:

Why is there no reason to apply this year?^o)

ReputationRep:
    Might be a better ideain fact to apply this year you know, only defferred entry. Which virtually works out the same as what you've planned, only you've secured your place more than a year in advance. At least that way you can end up applying to an additional 5 uni's the following year, in a worse case scenario.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstinx)
    Why is there no reason to apply this year?^o)
    Dont think he knew about deffered entry application...till i came on the scene of course...(lol i kid)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forté)
    Dont think he knew about deffered entry application...till i came on the scene of course...(lol i kid)
    I did. However, If I applied for deffered entry and I don't make the grades I don't think the Uni's will be sympathetic (I'm applying to Uni's that ask for AAA/B)

Then you can reapply but if you do make the grades then you have a gap year free of university applications to do what you like.

ReputationRep:
    I did. However, If I applied for deffered entry and I don't make the grades I don't think the Uni's will be sympathetic (I'm applying to Uni's that ask for AAA/B)
    Lets work with that scenario. You apply to the upper end of uni's, and get conditional defferred offers. If you miss the grade, perhaps you might not be able to go. But with your game plan, you'll only end up applying to uni's lower down the spectrum as a result.

If you intend to retake some of your modules, in a worse case scenario, during your gap year, that sorts this problem, but applying 1 year earlier doesnt cost you anything at all. If anything, you gain experience of the whole procesdure (especially personal statement writing, which wont be easy i dont imagine after you've left school) and so in a worse case scenario your better prepared for an application the following year.

If you apply this year, and pass, its all well and good. If you apply this year and fail, you either phone up and see if they will still accept you, or you just apply again after retaking modules From the countless seminars ive attended, i got the impression they treat defferred entry applicants slightly more favourably than the normal ones, in any case!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forté)
    Lets work with that scenario. You apply to the upper end of uni's, and get conditional defferred offers. If you miss the grade, perhaps you might not be able to go. But with your game plan, you'll only end up applying to uni's lower down the spectrum as a result.

If you intend to retake some of your modules, in a worse case scenario, during your gap year, that sorts this problem, but applying 1 year earlier doesnt cost you anything at all. If anything, you gain experience of the whole procesdure (especially personal statement writing, which wont be easy i dont imagine after you've left school) and so in a worse case scenario your better prepared for an application the following year.

If you apply this year, and pass, its all well and good. If you apply this year and fail, you either phone up and see if they will still accept you, or you just apply again after retaking modules From the countless seminars ive attended, i got the impression they treat defferred entry applicants slightly more favourably than the normal ones, in any case!
    Thanks for your advice. However, the law schools I'm thinking of applying to (Warwick, UCL, Bristol etc) do not accept re-sits. So, I'm really confused right now

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your advice. However, the law schools I'm thinking of applying to (Warwick, UCL, Bristol etc) do not accept re-sits. So, I'm really confused right now
    In what sense do you mean they dont take resits? If you apply this year and fail (i feel bad repeating that word lol) i mentioned you could resit modules. Howeverthat would mean launching another application all together, to your uni's. So, as far as their concerned your just another applicant applying for a place on one of their courses. If anything, im sure if they remember your name from the previous year (which is highly unlikely i might add) you'll have some sort of advantage...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forté)
    In what sense do you mean they dont take resits? If you apply this year and fail (i feel bad repeating that word lol) i mentioned you could resit modules. Howeverthat would mean launching another application all together, to your uni's. So, as far as their concerned your just another applicant applying for a place on one of their courses. If anything, im sure if they remember your name from the previous year (which is highly unlikely i might add) you'll have some sort of advantage...
    As in they don't accept a re-sit applicant from the 2year time frame needed to complete both AS and A2.

For example, from Warwick University:

Do you consider applicants offering resit A Level grades?

Only if the applicant was adversely affected by circumstances beyond their control.

ReputationRep:
    As in they don't accept a re-sit applicant from the 2year time frame needed to complete both AS and A2.
    hmmm i see your confusion. I think its definately worth calling up the admissions office's for those particular uni's though, just to fully clarify.

But if it turns out what you've said is true, which it probably is, then i see why applying after completing A" would be ideal.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.