Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm going through the nerve wracking process of finishing off my personal statement and UCAS... I'm on a gap year at the moment as I basically had some very disappointing grades in AS and thought I could do better. I re-sat my AS grades with my A2s and achieved Psychology (A*) English Literature (B) Spanish (B), I'm not the happiest as I was aiming for A*AB.

Anyway, I am very very interested in psychology, specifically social psychology so decided to apply for social science/sociology at university. The issue i'm facing is that the course I really want to apply for at UCL (social sciences) is AAB and says you need to have a B in GCSE Maths and I got a measly C I'm scared to apply for it with my current grades as I don't think I will be offered a place. I also like the look of Science and Society at UCL which is AAB-ABB but it has a lot of philosophy of science - would this even tie in well with my interest for sociology?

I feel as though I'm veering towards the Science and Society degree as there is a higher chance of acceptance, but I am scared I will not be happy... What I'm asking is; is there a way I could retake 1 or 2 units in Spanish and English and re-take my Maths GCSE? Would this mean I could be offered a conditional place at UCL for Social Sciences?

I'm coming to you guys for help as my school has honestly been ridiculous in helping me, they don't even reply to my emails.

Sorry for rambling... Any advice would be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    If they say B at GCSE at that is what they want, and with a C you will just get rejected. However, you can resit GCSEs as a private candidate (ie. do the revision yourself) - ask at your nearest college or at another school if your old school are not being helpful. Most Unis will accept GCSE resits (and A level module resits) - but some wont (usually 'top' RG Unis like UCL ...) so check carefully before you commit yourself to this.

It might be worth you looking at other subjects beyond just psychology. Look at Childhood Studies (http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...bsc-childhood/), or Applied Social Science (http://www.york.ac.uk/study/undergra...ocial-science/) or Social Policy (https://www.brighton.ac.uk/courses/s...-bsc-hons.aspx) or a Social Science with Spanish (Year Abroad?) (http://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/underg...-a-language-ba).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by revolutioning)
    So I'm going through the nerve wracking process of finishing off my personal statement and UCAS... I'm on a gap year at the moment as I basically had some very disappointing grades in AS and thought I could do better. I re-sat my AS grades with my A2s and achieved Psychology (A*) English Literature (B) Spanish (B), I'm not the happiest as I was aiming for A*AB.

Anyway, I am very very interested in psychology, specifically social psychology so decided to apply for social science/sociology at university. The issue i'm facing is that the course I really want to apply for at UCL (social sciences) is AAB and says you need to have a B in GCSE Maths and I got a measly C I'm scared to apply for it with my current grades as I don't think I will be offered a place. I also like the look of Science and Society at UCL which is AAB-ABB but it has a lot of philosophy of science - would this even tie in well with my interest for sociology?

I feel as though I'm veering towards the Science and Society degree as there is a higher chance of acceptance, but I am scared I will not be happy... What I'm asking is; is there a way I could retake 1 or 2 units in Spanish and English and re-take my Maths GCSE? Would this mean I could be offered a conditional place at UCL for Social Sciences?

I'm coming to you guys for help as my school has honestly been ridiculous in helping me, they don't even reply to my emails.

You would be best off emailing UCL admissions and seeing if they will consider any fresh retakes. Otherwise I would say don't go for a second best course just to try and get into UCL, 3/4 years is a long time to spend on a degree you didn't really want to study so do look at other unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by revolutioning)

Hi,

I study at the University of Sheffield and there are two courses, Applied Social Sciences and Quantitative Social Sciences which may appeal to you. The entry grades for both are ABB. Also, if you're nervous about not enjoying it, the benefit of these courses is that they're really flexible so you can pick from a huge selection of modules from a number of departments (For example: sociology, politics, education and more (they're all listed on the webpage)) so you should be able to find modules you enjoy each year. Anyway, if you have any questions feel free to ask. Good luck with deciding

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2016
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.