The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Student life and Nightlife at York

So I really like the course at York and I have just recived an offer from them but i am still deciding and it has come down to the student life and nightlife. Does anyone know much about it and can give me some advice?
Hiya,

Congrats on the offer! If you're wondering about student life, have a look through our Student Voices blogs - hopefully they'll give you an idea about what it's like to be a student here at York.

I was a student here and in my experience, the student life is really good at York. There is so much to get involved with and a great campus community - the way the campus is set out, you always bump into people you know (although some people say that's not always a good thing!). You can have a look at our student life pages for a flavour of the things on offer!

In terms of nightlife, whilst it's no Manchester or Leeds for clubbing, there are still several club nights sponsored by our Student's Union (YUSU), which are good fun, and absolutely loads of fantastic small independent bars and pubs. From cocktails to real ale to gin, you'll find little places all over the city which are absolute gems. I know the nightlife is a worry for many people before they come, but those worries are almost always put aside once you're here. Of course, if you're really into bigger clubs, Leeds is only 20 minutes away by train, and trains run until around 2am, and restart at 5am.

I think one of York's greatest assets is that there really is something for everybody, whatever you like to do. If you don't drink, that's absolutely fine - my housemate used to come on nights out and have as much fun without touching a drop. If you like to drink, well, you're spoiled for choice and there are plenty of student deals around. It's inclusive and friendly and most students here absolutely love it - so much so they find it hard to leave (like me, so I didn't).

I hope this has been helpful - if you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask :smile: I can always put you in touch with a current student who can answer any more specific questions you might have!

Katie
University of York
York

Quick Reply

Latest