The Student Room Group

unconditional offers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Karen gibbons
My daughter got a conditional offer in November from a good uni & then received an unconditional offer from the same uni in january. I think once some uni's receive all their applications they then go through them & make unconditional offers to their best applicants. So it's worth waiting before confirming you're choice of uni.

Or worth NOT waiting, if as noted above you want to retain the chance to go into adjustment!
Reply 21
Original post by Artjen
Or worth NOT waiting, if as noted above you want to retain the chance to go into adjustment!

You should never rush into firming/insuring your choices, but you raise an interesting point...

Let me ask @PQ, can a candidate with an Unconditional If Firm offer ask the university to remove the unconditional element so they can Firm and still retain the option of Adjustment for Results Day?
Original post by jneill
You should never rush into firming/insuring your choices, but you raise an interesting point...

Let me ask @PQ, can a candidate with an Unconditional If Firm offer ask the university to remove the unconditional element so they can Firm and still retain the option of Adjustment for Results Day?

They could ask - but once it's been made UF then a university can only reverse that with UCASs assistance (and many aren't willing to ask) - the only independent action a university can take for a UF applicant is to place them straight into Clearing (a release process).

So anyone wanting to firm an offer that's "unconditional if firmed" but doesn't want it changed from a conditional offer would need to contact the university BEFORE firming to make sure their wishes are understood and that it would be possible. Once the offer is updated to UF then options are very limited.
Original post by jneill

Original post by PQ
They could ask

From the university's point of view, of course, the trap has been sprung and the goal attained: they have an adequate candidate that cannot escape no matter how good the result, and a solid basis for all the budgeting, accommodation and place allocation work of the summer.

I can see no reason for a university to give this up.
Reply 24
Original post by PQ
They could ask - but once it's been made UF then a university can only reverse that with UCASs assistance (and many aren't willing to ask) - the only independent action a university can take for a UF applicant is to place them straight into Clearing (a release process).

So anyone wanting to firm an offer that's "unconditional if firmed" but doesn't want it changed from a conditional offer would need to contact the university BEFORE firming to make sure their wishes are understood and that it would be possible. Once the offer is updated to UF then options are very limited.

Great - so if they are planning on Adjustment they don't need to "rush" to Firm an offer in case it might change to UF, but they do need to ask the university not to make it UF at all.

Reply 25
If I had a conditional offer and I firmed it and then the uni turned it unconditional (without stating their intention to do so) I would have a go at suing them for breach of contract! they have changed the conditions of the offer after I have accepted it!
Original post by SamihaTahsin
I got 3 unconditional offers and 2 are pending. Suppose I get unconditional offers from those 2 as well, how much time do I get before I reply?

from which unis did u get unconditionals?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending