Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zo Zo)
    Obviously her issue is with you and not the uni. She's probably just one of those people who always has to make herself think that she's better than everyone else.
    There's nothing wrong with JMU, yeah Liverpool uni is higher ranked but who gives a ****? Rankings are a load of bull anyway. It just has more academic subjects and not really any subjects to do with the arts.
    I do drama so I get a lot of "oh that's not a proper degree" comments and stuff. Just ignore it, each to their own, every degree is hard in it's own way.
    Hey!

Iv just recieved an Unconditional at JMU to do drama, and i was just wondering how you find the course?

Also, i was also wondering if you have any idea what its like living in lennon Studios as iv been allocated a room there

As for all this crap about JMU not bein a proper Uni... all i can say is i started Nottingham Uni last September, and it was absolutely rubbish, i hated it. JMU seems to be a highly commendable uni, and (obviously) i would rather go there than the University of, hense why i never even applied there haha!

Andy x

ReputationRep:
    get it up them, i had offers from both the university of liverpool and john moores but i decided that I wanted to go to john moores. the reasons for me choosing john moores were completely because i didnt want to put in loads of work from january until the end of sixth form. my offer from liverpool was like BBC and john moores was only 200 points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaddyT)
    get it up them, i had offers from both the university of liverpool and john moores but i decided that I wanted to go to john moores. the reasons for me choosing john moores were completely because i didnt want to put in loads of work from january until the end of sixth form. my offer from liverpool was like BBC and john moores was only 200 points.
    So......your saying you went to JMU because you couldn't be bothered trying?

Gee, what a way to big up your uni.....

ReputationRep:
    it wasn't an intention to big up my uni, i had the offers i thought about it and asked myself how much effort do I want to put in? selfishly I said no to effort. I can still go to john moores knowing that I could have went to the uni of, secondly I talked about small class sizes which can be beneficial to learning as it makes the teacher/student relationship more personal...

ReputationRep:
    it wasn't an intention to big up my uni, i had the offers i thought about it and asked myself how much effort do I want to put in? selfishly I said no to effort. I can still go to john moores knowing that I could have went to the uni of, secondly I talked about small class sizes which can be beneficial to learning as it makes the teacher/student relationship more personal...
    I go to the University of Liverpool and regularly have seminars of two students + tutor

Surely if you are going to go to university then you should put as much effort in as possible to do as well as you possibly can otherwise; what's the point? Just get a job/start a career.

ReputationRep:
    ok oddjob, you clearly know everything.

ReputationRep:
    *Sigh*

Way to go in re-affirming the prejudices and negative bias everyone in this city harbours towards JMU students......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oddjob39A)
    *Sigh*

Way to go in re-affirming the prejudices and negative bias everyone in this city harbours towards JMU students......

is it really that important to you for everyone to feel jmu isn't a proper university? my whole life has been turned upside down at the moment and your greatest problem is arguing about the status of a university, is there really any significance to this argument? honestly, there so much more that is worth debate and criticism.

ReputationRep:
    is it really that important to you for everyone to feel jmu isn't a proper university? my whole life has been turned upside down at the moment and your greatest problem is arguing about the status of a university, is there really any significance to this argument? honestly, there so much more that is worth debate and criticism.
    No it doesn't and I never said that I did! I was simply asking why the hell you would just 'not bother' and settle with a less-renowned uni when you could have tried and gone to a much better one! (in terms of teaching, job opps., research etc)

That's all I was asking; I simply don't see why you would want to do that

3 weeks before my A2 exams my father died and I was made homeless; I still worked hard, put the effort in, got the grades and went to Liverpool. I just don't understand your attitude, if I can do it; so can you. I suppose it all comes down to what matters to you in life, but the way I see it; if your going to get into thousands of pounds worth of debt make it worth it and go the best uni you possibly can. (I'm not saying everyone should go to Oxford; I mean in relation to your ability. If JMU is your ability then great, but I get the impression that you could have got into Liverpool if you wanted to, it's illogical to settle for less)

ReputationRep:
    You're right, I could have went to Liverpool or Leicester and again you're right about opportunities can be frowned upon in comparison to say another job applicant in contest with myself who studied at a more renown university however, John Moores I think has the most undergrads in Liverpool and a firm hold on a respectable figure of post graduates - this can only reflect on where John Moores want to go and it could be possible that in 10 years time the university may be more respected.

I admire your courage for overcoming the bereavement, i can't imagine how hard that could of been.

ReputationRep:
    I don't even know why people bother with this university elitism *******s anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Because no matter what anybody says, there IS a difference.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously this elitism rubbish will always exist but JMU is not a rubbish university. In my case the course was better than a more elite university, in JMU's Japanese department the teachers actually seemed to care about the students whereas in Edinburgh the impression I got was the Japanese department was only there because they feel they should have it. I could be wrong but I got the impression they didn't really care.

So all this talk of 'settling' for a lower university is just rubbish. If you like the university and how your course is laid out then that's all that matters. Sorry this looks like a rant but probably like most people here it gets annoying to hear 'why didn't you go to X university instead?'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Debs)
    Obviously this elitism rubbish will always exist but JMU is not a rubbish university. In my case the course was better than a more elite university, in JMU's Japanese department the teachers actually seemed to care about the students whereas in Edinburgh the impression I got was the Japanese department was only there because they feel they should have it. I could be wrong but I got the impression they didn't really care.

So all this talk of 'settling' for a lower university is just rubbish. If you like the university and how your course is laid out then that's all that matters. Sorry this looks like a rant but probably like most people here it gets annoying to hear 'why didn't you go to X university instead?'
    Didn't JMU have to close down a load of departments and courses, including Japanese? Either that or they had to suspend intake or something, I dunno, I might be getting mixed up.

And I only said 'why didn't you go to....' because the poster said he COULD have gone to a better uni. he just didn't want to work that hard, as such he settled for JMU. All I was saying is that if you COULD go to a better uni. you should always do it, based on the assumption that if you want to go to university = you should go to the best you can get into; for your ability.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they did close down some language courses the other year but they reopened them last year. There is a rumour floating round that the Japanese course is getting shut down because the main lecturer is leaving to go back to Japan. That's just in the one department though.

It wasn't an attack at you cause you're quite right that the other poster has a bad attitude. It's more a general annoyance.

ReputationRep:
    Just because Liverpools 'above' JMU in the league tables doesnt mean its miles better and youve got waaaay more chance of getting a job. to be honest if someone from liverpool got a first and someone from jmu got a first if the person from jmu had more experience, was a nicer person and less cocky they'd probably get the job =]

actually...quite a few of my friends dropped out of liverpool uni cos they said it was crap...but i don't know anyone who's dropped out of jmu...suprising =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xhelen1989x)
    Just because Liverpools 'above' JMU in the league tables doesnt mean its miles better and youve got waaaay more chance of getting a job. to be honest if someone from liverpool got a first and someone from jmu got a first if the person from jmu had more experience, was a nicer person and less cocky they'd probably get the job =]

actually...quite a few of my friends dropped out of liverpool uni cos they said it was crap...but i don't know anyone who's dropped out of jmu...suprising =]
    I'm sorry, but everything in that post is complete crap.

ReputationRep:
    haha you may think that but you know its true..cos it is! =]
    i know a few people who went to both liverpool and JMU and one that did psychology at JMU and one did it at liverpool and the one at JMU got a great job what she wanted near enough straight after she graduated, the one from liverpool is still trying hmmm.
    end of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oddjob39A)
    I'm sorry, but everything in that post is complete crap.
    i totally agree!!! wtf sounds like helen is the smug one!! bull******

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xhelen1989x)
    haha you may think that but you know its true..cos it is! =]
    i know a few people who went to both liverpool and JMU and one that did psychology at JMU and one did it at liverpool and the one at JMU got a great job what she wanted near enough straight after she graduated, the one from liverpool is still trying hmmm.
    end of.
    that is not a reflection on the uni. rather a reflection on your 'friend'. I have nothin against LJMU but its ppl loike u that give it a lower reputation

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 16, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.