Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    helene isn't doing much to show what LJMU has to offer. Sometimes Helene the best thing to say is nothing at all. "Let the people sing their stories and their songs" quite a favorite quote of mine, one because it is my aim to better my opponents and secondly it is my aim to gain a qualification worthy of pursuing a career in the sphere of politics, domestically or internationally.

ReputationRep:
    well obviously it has abit of reflection on the uni.
    you dont know me anyway haha i applied to liverpool uni and had the grades to get in but preferred the course at JMU =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaddyT)
    helene isn't doing much to show what LJMU has to offer. Sometimes Helene the best thing to say is nothing at all. "Let the people sing their stories and their songs" quite a favorite quote of mine, one because it is my aim to better my opponents and secondly it is my aim to gain a qualification worthy of pursuing a career in the sphere of politics, domestically or internationally.
    my aim wasnt to 'show what JMU has to offer' =s
    im not viewing this thread anymore, its quite pathetic people trying to 'pick' arguments over nothing and saying irrelevant childish comments *cough* laura.

btw, whos 'helene'???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xhelen1989x)
    haha you may think that but you know its true..cos it is! =]
    i know a few people who went to both liverpool and JMU and one that did psychology at JMU and one did it at liverpool and the one at JMU got a great job what she wanted near enough straight after she graduated, the one from liverpool is still trying hmmm.
    end of.
    Lets see the flaw in this argument, more students from UofL go into graduate level jobs and also jobs where there is a hell of a lot more competition; FACT.

As such, of course it is going to be 'harder' for a UofL student to find a job straight away, because they will be aiming for jobs which are harder to get, but that says nothing about their employability. An Oxbridge or LSE student may have to wait years to get a job at GoldmanSachs or whatever, but just because a Hope University student can get a job straight away say as a graduate booking clerk or such, doesn't mean that a Hope graduate is more 'employable' and certainly not that they will be 'happier' in their career.

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day this is just your opinion and as long as a person is happy and gets what they want out of their time at university it doesn't matter if it's a 'proper' one or not. Not everyone can, or wants to, go to a prestigious university.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, there will always be elitism. to an extent she's right, but only if she makes the most out of the superior facilities liverpool has for gaining employment.

With her attitude I doubt she will.

ReputationRep:
    Ive studied at both UofL and JMU and I have to say........JMU was absolutely appalling - but again, that is just my opinion!

ReputationRep:
    i believe to an extent the better a university is up the rankings can make a significant difference to the quality of the teaching; however this is can certainly not always be true, as every course Liverpool Uni has too offer does not guarantee a better teacher... there will be certain subjects by which LJMU will have a better teacher, or a better method of teaching.. but even still, it relies alot more on the enthusiasm of the student, if for instance the student isn't bothered yet manages to do well and does the better course with better teachers merely as a job to go into, not truly a passion, the likely hood is that he will be far less successful than the student who has great enthusiasm, yet has been not quite as successful and has ended up at the slightly lesser course, Also the course at the 'Higher standard' University, may not be specifically suited to the individual person, so.. in turn, not enjoying the course, and resulting in a worse grade than if they went to the 'lesser' university and thoroughly enjoyed the course, besides all exams are equal in terms of content, one university will not have 'easier' exams just because it is less renowned! they are after all run by boards which regulate the same level and content of exam for all universities. In terms of what an employer looks for, it is not purely the degree you have done, it relies heavily on the amount of experience you've had before around the subject, the grade you achieved at the degree you had chosen, And the amount of enthusiasm you express toward the subject!

ReputationRep:
    I study Japanese at John Moore's and I get **** all the time. Even from my dad! Me and my brother both chose to study at John Moore's but my mum got a masters and a phd from the University of Liverpool, so whenever he talks about it he says that my mum went to the "proper" university and that annoys me. He could be a little more supportive!

While JMU might not be viewed as favourably as University of Liverpool, I don't think someone should be looked down on for choosing to study there. There's always a reason for someone to have chosen a university. For example, I'm studying Japanese and there are very few places that do Japanese. I looked at all my options, looked at the courses and the cities and decided it was best for me to study at JMU. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made and I haven't regretted it for a second. I'm very happy with the course, the staff and I'm going on my year abroad in a place I've wanted to go for years! Life doesn't get much better!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 16, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.