Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm currently in my AS year of College. I am new to what lies ahead with the application process for UK universities, however I have always aspired to study in the States. I have no idea where to start in research, or when I need to start the process, and whilst I am currently looking into this very early, I'd like to do whatever I can do to maximise my chances of success.

I'd also like to know the realistic chances of being accepted at a US Uni, and so I'll provide a little background behind myself:

I aspire to apply for a major in Computer Science, or a joint major in Computer Science and Mathematics. I am particularly interested in applying for NYU and/or Stanford.

GCSE Grades: 8 A*s, 4 As, 1 C.
    AS Predicted:
    - Mathematics: A,
    - Further Mathematics: A,
    - Computer Science: A,
    - Physics: A
    A-Level (Aspirational): 2 A*s, 2 As and an A/A* in the Level 3 Extended Project.

I am currently fundraising for a 2 week charity expedition to Uganda in July 2017.

I attend a Quantum mechanics session weekly at my college as this is another interest of mine. I enjoy programming, and have taught myself aspects of the languages Swift and C#; I intend to further develop this by working on an iOS app which I intend to eventually submit to the App store. I am also doing the British Informatics Olympiad and Senior Maths challenge this year.

I play piano at Grade 6, (Should be grade 7 by time of application) and have taught myself guitar in my spare time. I also sail as a hobby, and have a RYA powerboat qualification which allows me to get involved with children learning to sail. I have a passion for running and intend to run a half marathon next year.

With all that being said, what are the essential requirements for applying to a US Uni, I have heard a lot about het SAT examinations, and wish to learn more about them. I have the following questions:

1) What are the realistic chances of a UK applicant like myself being accepted at a US University?

2) When should I start thinking about applying to a US uni?

3) Financially, what are the costs of tuition and accommodation? For New York? Stanford?

4) What qualifications do I need to acquire for the US Unis? Are the very different from A-Levels? I've heard a lot about essays?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, I understand it is very vague and perhaps unclear, I suppose the concept of application is kind of overwhelming and I'd love to have some guidance. - Miles

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.