Love123443
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
'Water is used to break down many complex molecules by hydrolysis, for example proteins to amino acids?' I dont understand this? So proteins needs water to break down to amino acids? It doesnt make sense
lowkey-loki
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
ImageBasically, as you know proteins are long strings of amino-acids joined in a chain with so called 'peptide links'. The amino acid has a -COOH and a -NH2. Out of this if you take a water molecule out the nitrogen and carbon will bond. If you add a water molecule the reverse can happen. The carbon will take back an OH from H2O and the H will go back to nitrogen. When that happens the molecule has been hydrolysed. This won't happen if you just put proteins in water, to add or remove water to a molecule like a protein you also need an enzyme. An example could be maltase hydrolysing maltose. There a picture but i recommend the khan academy videos on it.
username2199397
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It des make sense. You need to revise condensation and hydrolysis reactions

Condensation is a reaction that links monymers of amino acids to form polypeptides aka proteins.
By doing this reaction it removes h20 moleules.

To break the bonds between the monomers and make the protiens into amino acids we reverse the reaction by adding h2o moleuces back to it -- this process/reation is called hydrolysis.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Had lockdown impacted your relationships?

Yes, my partner and I are struggling (26)
8.02%
Yes, my partner and I broke up (23)
7.1%
Yes, it's hard being around my family so much (71)
21.91%
Yes, I'm feeling lonely isolating alone (40)
12.35%
No, nothing has changed (101)
31.17%
No, it's helped improve my relationships (63)
19.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed