Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So im in my final year and have to do a dissertation this year. I've done a substantial amount of reading and will be starting an outline plan soon. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to get a 2:1 or 1st? How did you plan out your timescales and try and keep ontop of the dissertation without becoming lenient?

ReputationRep:
    Bumping for other people to answer!

ReputationRep:
    I can only tell you what not to do

Borrow all the books u need and stack them against 1 wall of your room. Read them starting a week before hand in.

Write up the thing at 4am on the due day (after a party, of course) and get it in before the deadline of 12 noon.

Then go back to bed. zZz..............

That's what I did. Got a good score and got my degree.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Contact your supervisor a lot, hassle them if you must. Make notes of what they say and take it on board as they are often the ones who mark it.

ReputationRep:
    In short - just work hard. If you don't like a part or a section, it is better to rewrite it to extant in which you will be satisfied with it. Also, as it was previously mentioned try to establish a good and productive relationship with your supervisor. Don't be afraid to participate in discussions with him/her; don't just agree with everything he says, try to question his arguments if you disagree. From what I've seen during my master, most supervisors welcome such attitude.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Best piece of advise I can give, start early, work on it whenever you can. Speak with your supervisor and get advise as and when you need it. When I did mine I started very early on it and used my supervisor as much as possible. I got a 2.1 on my dissertation which I was really happy with, as my dissertation was the hardest piece of work I did at university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by zakiah nasir)
    So im in my final year and have to do a dissertation this year. I've done a substantial amount of reading and will be starting an outline plan soon. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to get a 2:1 or 1st? How did you plan out your timescales and try and keep ontop of the dissertation without becoming lenient?
    If you haven't already, I suggest you visit the dissertation thread and ask for some advice on there. You're bound to get some students who are in the same or similar situation as you:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4218232

ReputationRep:
    your plan really needs to be what works for you (e.g. I holed up in my room for 3 days straight and wrote my entire dissertation up but most people would probably prefer to do a couple hours a night for a few weeks)... make sure you plan to have the whole thing finished at least a couple weeks in advance then you have plenty of time if things go wrong

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.