Turn on thread page Beta

Creative writing when you have mental illness? watch

Is there anyone here who writes creatively and also suffers with mental illness? I have anxiety, OCD and possibly depression. I've been doing creative writing for years but in recent years I have struggled to write and pretty much everything else. I really want to write more but I struggle to do anything really and with writing it's so difficult for me to just sit down, get out my writing and work on it and keep working on it for more than two minutes and almost every day. It's kind of getting me down further because there are all these things I want to do but I just end up watching tv and looking on the internet. With nanowrimo coming up and researching writers, I just want to be in that position of writing and obviously it's difficult for everyone but I can't seem to find any long-lasting advice for me to be more productive in things including my writing. When I try to talk to people who don't suffer with mental illness about things like writing they just don't understand and can be quite critical

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Is there anyone here who writes creatively and also suffers with mental illness? I have anxiety, OCD and possibly depression. I've been doing creative writing for years but in recent years I have struggled to write and pretty much everything else. I really want to write more but I struggle to do anything really and with writing it's so difficult for me to just sit down, get out my writing and work on it and keep working on it for more than two minutes and almost every day. It's kind of getting me down further because there are all these things I want to do but I just end up watching tv and looking on the internet. With nanowrimo coming up and researching writers, I just want to be in that position of writing and obviously it's difficult for everyone but I can't seem to find any long-lasting advice for me to be more productive in things including my writing. When I try to talk to people who don't suffer with mental illness about things like writing they just don't understand and can be quite critical
    I have some anxiety/depression issues. They don't really get in the way when it comes to creativity but all the sedatives I take DO. This **** killed off my creativity, completely. Can't live with them, can't live without them...........

ReputationRep:
    100% understand. Depression sucks the life out of me like a hoover. The thing is, I do English Lit with Creative Writing at uni, so having the deadline for a piece of writing helps me find the motivation. I always feel really awkward though because most of the other people doing Creative Writing have like, notebooks full of poetry and short stories, and then I'm just the odd one out who spent most of her life with no motivation to even live.

Personally, I find that reading poetry/short stories/novels actually make me want to write. Whenever I read some poetry, I end up writing a poem. If that doesn't work, maybe you could try using story cubes?

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm sorry that this is late, as I know you posted this about two weeks again.

Anyway, as someone who has been struggling with anxiety and depression for over five years now, and in terms of getting anything practical done I'm in a constant battle between my anxiety and depression. My depression is telling me I'm not good enough, yet having no motivation to follow through because I'm so unmotivated (because the emotional aspect really does drain you physically). And then there's anxiety, which is telling me: IF YOU DON'T DO THIS WORK YOU WILL FAIL AND YOU WILL NOT GET INTO UNI AND YOU WILL NOT GET A GOOD JOB BLAH BLAH BLAH.

And yeah, it's difficult. In terms of your own development of writing, even though it's difficult to find that motivation, but going on the internet and watching tv/movies isn't a bad thing. Sometimes that's how I find my best motivation. (It's a personal thing, I guess). What is it that you enjoy about writing? You must be doing it because there are aspects you enjoy within it. Just focus on why you enjoy, what you want to get out of it. I know you're going through a bad time emotionally, but sometimes writing can be a brilliant way to express your repressed emotions and release them in this healthy way.

I'm sorry if this hasn't been much help.

I wish you luck for the future

(Original post by catqueen123)
    Hello, I'm sorry that this is late, as I know you posted this about two weeks again.

Anyway, as someone who has been struggling with anxiety and depression for over five years now, and in terms of getting anything practical done I'm in a constant battle between my anxiety and depression. My depression is telling me I'm not good enough, yet having no motivation to follow through because I'm so unmotivated (because the emotional aspect really does drain you physically). And then there's anxiety, which is telling me: IF YOU DON'T DO THIS WORK YOU WILL FAIL AND YOU WILL NOT GET INTO UNI AND YOU WILL NOT GET A GOOD JOB BLAH BLAH BLAH.

And yeah, it's difficult. In terms of your own development of writing, even though it's difficult to find that motivation, but going on the internet and watching tv/movies isn't a bad thing. Sometimes that's how I find my best motivation. (It's a personal thing, I guess). What is it that you enjoy about writing? You must be doing it because there are aspects you enjoy within it. Just focus on why you enjoy, what you want to get out of it. I know you're going through a bad time emotionally, but sometimes writing can be a brilliant way to express your repressed emotions and release them in this healthy way.

I'm sorry if this hasn't been much help.

I wish you luck for the future
    Thank you for the reply, I'm sorry to hear how you have been feeling have you been to the doctors? Also have you told your school/college, they may be able to offer you extra support and longer exam time?

Recently, I've written more than I have in a while through doing nanowrimo (not sure if you've heard of it, if you do creative writing it might be good to check out) but I haven't been writing every day and I'm still finding it difficult to do reading and playing games which I used to love

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you for the reply, I'm sorry to hear how you have been feeling have you been to the doctors? Also have you told your school/college, they may be able to offer you extra support and longer exam time?

Recently, I've written more than I have in a while through doing nanowrimo (not sure if you've heard of it, if you do creative writing it might be good to check out) but I haven't been writing every day and I'm still finding it difficult to do reading and playing games which I used to love
    I've never really considered telling my college about it, I wouldn't know how to even go about initiating that conversation. (I'm one of them people who just keeps it quiet sort of thing).

I just searched up about nanowrimo and it sounds like something I'd like to do myself, so thank you for introducing it to me.

I'm not the best with advice, but I guess trying to write when you can is good in a step to progress, plus doing nanowrimo sounds like a solid way to do that. Overall, I think something to consider that you shouldn't try force your writing either. Overthinking can cause it too be more stressful than it really is. Writing shouldn't be a chore, and in fact if it's something you enjoy doing (yet lack the motivation) try what I do and find writing prompts. There's a lot of these on
    Pinterest, so you should definitely try them out. Usually they just include examples of dialect, setting, openings etc. I believe they'd be useful

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.