Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I do want to apply for a degree in Classics and English, my first choice is King's college London, but I have considered other universities in London and in Scotland as well. My question is, what job could I get with such a degree? Are people with this degree requested in the job market? Also, I've heard that there are a lot of racist people in England that won't offer me a job because I'm not British (I come from Italy), is this true?
    I'm a bit worried because I don't want to get a degree that couldn't give me a job in the future..in addition, I'm not even British!! Eventually, even If I don't graduate in Italian, could I teach Italian, being it my mother tongue?

Thanks a lot for your help and for reading xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any degree shows a high level of education and employers love that. My sisters friend did a degree in history and now is working In events management. The degree you have chosen looks interesting and a lot of employers would love that. You could go into what you want really, apart from jobs like dentistry and becoming a doctor (obviously) but getting a degree is the best thing you can do. English employers will employ you, the population in the UK is over 50 million, not everyone is racist in England, that's like saying every man is gay😂 It's not true. Get your degree and do something you love

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emeliaaaaa)
    Any degree shows a high level of education and employers love that. My sisters friend did a degree in history and now is working In events management. The degree you have chosen looks interesting and a lot of employers would love that. You could go into what you want really, apart from jobs like dentistry and becoming a doctor (obviously) but getting a degree is the best thing you can do. English employers will employ you, the population in the UK is over 50 million, not everyone is racist in England, that's like saying every man is gay😂 It's not true. Get your degree and do something you love

Thanks a lot!! I think I should study what I like and not what would be more useful, but again, I'm scared? 😂
    A friend of mine got his degree in law at Exeter more than one year ago and he couldn't get a job (he is studying for a master right now) because he told me that there is a lot of racism towards foreigners and that they tend to privilege the Brits and this honestly frightens me 😅

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What job do you aim to get after university? And btw, if you're worried about racism/xenophobia then London is a really multicultural place so I doubt your nationality would have any impact on employment there. Outside of London is obviously less multicultural but provided you have the necessary qualifications and experience then I don't think you should face too many problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarthaG_)
    Hi everyone,
    Also, I've heard that there are a lot of racist people in England that won't offer me a job because I'm not British (I come from Italy), is this true?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What a depressing thing to read. Are we really seen like that in Italy at the moment? Can you expand on what you've written?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JRKinder)
    What job do you aim to get after university? And btw, if you're worried about racism/xenophobia then London is a really multicultural place so I doubt your nationality would have any impact on employment there. Outside of London is obviously less multicultural but provided you have the necessary qualifications and experience then I don't think you should face too many problems.

Hi, I would like to teach Classics or Italian or maybe become a Lecturer at university, but I would literally love every type of job in the field of Arts & Humanities, I am very flexible!
    I hope so, I'm so scared!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    What a depressing thing to read. Are we really seen like that in Italy at the moment? Can you expand on what you've written?
    Hi! Yes, sadly..I'm very worried about my future because I am scared I will be object of insults or be underestimated because of my nationality.
    Here in Italy the situation is tragic, we are all shocked and confused because we've heard so many British people saying that they want to be alone and to bring back the British Empire without immigrants! Do they realize that we all come from the same place, except we were born in different countries? Does my blood give them the right to consider me less-worthy?
    I just love London and British culture in general and I've always wanted to come to the UK to live, study and work, contributing to the economic growth of this country, but now I have to admit that I feel a bit scared!
    I've worked hard for this purpose, I got IELTS exam with brilliant results and I don't want to waste the time and the effort spent in this, but there is always that shadow haunting me, it's the worst feeling ever!
    If you want to ask me something more about this matter, please, do it without hesitation ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I would like to teach Classics or Italian or maybe become a Lecturer at university, but I would literally love every type of job in the field of Arts & Humanities, I am very flexible!
    I hope so, I'm so scared!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well if you want to teach Classics then doing a degree in Classics will obviously be a necessity I'm sure being a native Italian speaker will be fine for teaching too, but you'll probably need to get a teaching qualification or equivalent first. You might want to check the legal stuff surrounding that.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot!! I think I should study what I like and not what would be more useful, but again, I'm scared? 😂
    A friend of mine got his degree in law at Exeter more than one year ago and he couldn't get a job (he is studying for a master right now) because he told me that there is a lot of racism towards foreigners and that they tend to privilege the Brits and this honestly frightens me 😅

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really wouldn't worry about that.if you have a degree and someone's else applying for the same job as you hasn't got a degree, you're more likely to get the job because of the experience. After your degree do some work experience, my brother did and that opened a really big window for him, he can go into a range of jobs im hoping to start university in September 2017

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emeliaaaaa)
    Not really, I apologise in advance if you think my reply is harsh. I'm graduating soon and I want to leave. I've been here about 10 years and looking forward to trying my luck elsewhere. I was also attacked post-referendum.

You might live in a quiet area, but in many English areas EU citizens are not welcome, quite the opposite. Of all the friends I have (of foreign or EU origin), only 2 are planning to stay in UK in the future. And the two who are staying only do it because they have British children (with British partners).

Sorry no, we are not welcome anymore and better we find some more grateful people elsewhere (my husband is British born and wants to leave too).

ReputationRep:
    It's funny how a thread about job prospects has morphed into a thread about post - Brexit impact on culture. I would have thought that if British schools had given foreign languages a lot more respect, Remain would have clinched the referendum by far. The only reason why Europeans living in Britain far outnumber Brits living outside of Britain is simply because of the country's, quite frankly, disgusting attitude towards languages other than English. They don't teach their kids other languages until age 11, and even then, the standard of teaching is just piss poor. (A gcse in a language only gives you recognition and understanding of the language, not any kind of fluency at all)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    It's funny how a thread about job prospects has morphed into a thread about post - Brexit impact on culture.
    eeeh I know. Even doing food shopping at Morrisons turns into some post-Brexit drama nowadays, especially with the current debate at the Supreme Court.
    I agree with you about the languages.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.