Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, after coming to an open day and absolutely loving the uni I am applying to Loughbourgh to study Marketing in 2017 - i just wondered if any current students could give me some help/advice on the course itself but also my main worry about the sport/the town.

I love sport! But have only ever really done it recreationally and am worried realistically this is going to hold me back in terms of my uni experience e.g not being able to play on the team etc. I know the uni themselves promote that everyone can get involved but in reality is this really the case? Is it quite elitist?

Also what is the town/nightlife like? I've seen some threads claiming there is not much to do/can get boring?

Many thanks! Emma x
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Emmadaltonx)
    Hi, after coming to an open day and absolutely loving the uni I am applying to Loughbourgh to study Marketing in 2017 - i just wondered if any current students could give me some help/advice on the course itself but also my main worry about the sport/the town.

I love sport! But have only ever really done it recreationally and am worried realistically this is going to hold me back in terms of my uni experience e.g not being able to play on the team etc. I know the uni themselves promote that everyone can get involved but in reality is this really the case? Is it quite elitist?

Also what is the town/nightlife like? I've seen some threads claiming there is not much to do/can get boring?

Many thanks! Emma x
    Hi Emma

Glad you are thinking of studying here at Loughborough

Sport really is for all here. Of course we have all the elite stuff, but there is so much recreational sport on campus that you'll be fine from that point of view.

As for the nightlife, Loughborough is a town rather than a city, so there isn't the 24/7 thing going on in the town. However it is far from boring. There's loads to do both on and off campus in terms of nightlife and if you really do feel the need for a trip to a city, LSU regularly organise trips to Nottingham and Leicester which aren't 15 minutes or so away and also to London which is only 90 minutes by train.

It's up to how much you do or don't get involved, but there is always something going on here and I think most students would agree that boring isn't a word they use here.

Vicky

ReputationRep:
    As an individual with a phd masters hons distinction first class degree in loughborough uni - sport worries and nightlife I can safely say yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmadaltonx)

Many thanks! Emma x
    I was the exact same as you, but I can say its really amazing and I love it, the uni caters for recreational sport as well and most of my friends are the same as me and don't play sport competitively, needless to say there is a lot of sport going on but I don't play any type of sport but have got involved with all different kinds for fun,

In terms of nightlife it hasn't got what a city has to offer but I love it and wouldn't have it any other way. I love the union its like a massive club and has a family feel as you tend to know people when you go there and clubs and bars in the town are good as well. Having gone on lots of nights out in Nottingham as my friends go to university there I can say that I prefer loughborough nightlife!

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.