Turn on thread page Beta

so, i've been greatly considering UoR as my first choice for university. it has everything that i'm looking for, and it was by far the best open day that i'd been to. the only trouble is that i'm an avid ice hockey fan. i've only played occasionally, but i'd love to join a team, but UoR doesn't have one, as far as i'm aware.

i'm just wondering 1. if anyone who knows the area is aware of where the nearest ice rink is, at least? if i can't play ice hockey, then at least i can skate. and 2. if anyone is even moderately interested in the sport, so that maybe i can start one if i get there?

this may seem like a lot to ask, as i know that ice hockey isn't exactly the most convenient sport, or even the easiest to set up, but it would be greatly appreciated.

thank you in advance!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by perfectpieces)
    so, i've been greatly considering UoR as my first choice for university. it has everything that i'm looking for, and it was by far the best open day that i'd been to. the only trouble is that i'm an avid ice hockey fan. i've only played occasionally, but i'd love to join a team, but UoR doesn't have one, as far as i'm aware.

i'm just wondering 1. if anyone who knows the area is aware of where the nearest ice rink is, at least? if i can't play ice hockey, then at least i can skate. and 2. if anyone is even moderately interested in the sport, so that maybe i can start one if i get there?

this may seem like a lot to ask, as i know that ice hockey isn't exactly the most convenient sport, or even the easiest to set up, but it would be greatly appreciated.

thank you in advance!
    Hi,

I am glad to hear you are thinking of Reading as your first choice, and you enjoyed our open day. I am really enjoying my time at Reading, so I'm sure you would too.

You are correct in the fact that we don't have an Ice Hockey club/team, which is a shame, as there is an ice-rink in Bracknell, which has an Ice Hockey team called the Bracknell Bees, though I'm not 100% if they have other teams for people of different levels, but its something to look into. Though you can definitely go ice skating there, as I went during my first year near Christmas, and when we went we got student discount. From just off campus you can get the X4 bus to Bracknell, and I think it takes between 40-45 minutes. Since its a reading bus, I think you can get a student ticket which doesn't make it too expensive at all.

Also at Reading we have the opportunity to create your own sports club or society, so once you get here you could look into that. If you find 49 other like-minded people to register an interest in an Ice Hockey club you could create the club!

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask me any other questions.

Emma
    3rd Year Human and Physical Geographer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perfectpieces)

thank you in advance!
    Hey, I'm a first year Reading University student, and I'm also an absolutely massive ice hockey fan. I don't play personally (although I do play field hockey at the university). I have a season ticket for my team, Basingstoke Bison, I go to home games every Saturday and a lot of away games. They won the league last year and are doing well this year, really nice fan community too (I volunteer at the club), amazing team and brilliant atmosphere at every game.
    I'm not sure how much you know about the English Premier League but also nearby are Bracknell Bees (technically closer but not the best rink or team, bottom of the league at the moment), Swindon Wildcats and Guildford Flames. I'm not exactly sure about playing but I know there are other teams around that play out of those rinks too, and there's often public skating/ ice hockey sessions on. If you have any other questions about ice hockey around here I can try to help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outofminds)

thank you in advance!
    Hey, I'm currently applying to Reading, with it as my back-up option. I play, and coach Ice Hockey and have already had my worry about the lack of team. When looking, Basingstoke is only just down the road, so that would definitely be do-able.
    But like someone already said, the Uni will help make a team and that has calmed me a lot as all of my Uni options have a rink and/or a team with them.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    I'm aware there is an Ice Hockey Society in the making hopefully it will be ready by the 2017/18 Academic Year

Mark
    Final Year Accounting and Management

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniofReading)
    I'm aware there is an Ice Hockey Society in the making hopefully it will be ready by the 2017/18 Academic Year

Mark
    Final Year Accounting and Management
    Hey, that's really interesting news, do you have any more information about this or know where I could find out more? Thanks

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.