Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

I'm a penultimate student applying for 2017 summer internships in HR/Marketing. For most of the major places I can't seem to get past the psychometric tests (particularly numerical and reasoning). I've tried practicing online but the complexity of the questions and time constraints is very off putting.
    My plan at the moment is to wait for spring next year where smaller companies might hire interns without psychometric tests but I would like to have a chance at bigger companies hiring now.
    What have people done about going around this, are there any major places that wouldn't ask for numerical/reasoning tests or at least consider it in relation to your application?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r-t)
    Hi all

I'm a penultimate student applying for 2017 summer internships in HR/Marketing. For most of the major places I can't seem to get past the psychometric tests (particularly numerical and reasoning). I've tried practicing online but the complexity of the questions and time constraints is very off putting.
    My plan at the moment is to wait for spring next year where smaller companies might hire interns without psychometric tests but I would like to have a chance at bigger companies hiring now.
    What have people done about going around this, are there any major places that wouldn't ask for numerical/reasoning tests or at least consider it in relation to your application?

Thanks
    AssessmentDay is a good website with good advice.

With numerical reasoning tests, I'd say the key is to not be afraid of them. These tests require no real math knowledge. You need to know adding, subtracting, dividing, your times table as well as percentages and ratios.

They focus more on how you interpret data accurately and in a timely manner. It's mainly graphs and tables too - they follow a similar format, get used to this and you'll be fine.

Different companies deliver different tests, find out the company and their style before attempting them and you'll be good to go.

Logical reasoning tests (the many different forms) are really simple once it 'clicks' for you. My advice would be to take each object one step at a time to draw conclusions...

Is the line moving? Which way? Does the triangle above it move? Which way? Is there a connection?

It's hard to desribe, but when you practice these and take each object/variable on its own, they become really straight forward.

ReputationRep:
    If you really find them difficult, it's worth paying for tutorial packs that you can find online. I wouldn't normally recommend as not everyone can afford to pay, but if you're consistently having trouble passing them then you need to practice - and practice is really the only thing that will help.

Don't be put off applying to places because of the tests - the more you do, the more practice you're getting. If you only apply to places without tests you're basically just putting off the problem, since any grad schemes you'll want to apply to will likely have the tests.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have struggled with psychometric tests a lot as well - especially logical. I've failed many many applications before I started practising them. You can find many examples of tests online but just remember that not all of them will be of good quality! Don't go for unknown companies because that can only confuse you.
    With numerical tests questions never go beyond GCSE Maths level the struggle is with stress and time pressure; so make sure to go through the basic percentage, ratio, currency questions and can quickly read data from charts and tables. Then it's just practising the time management and not stressing too much.
    If you don't want to spend money have a look at free sample tests that some companies offer + your uni career services might offer some practice for free. I bought the logical tests with Graduates First and have been very satisfied so I'd recommend them.
    Good luck.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.