Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    There is no such as thing free speach, opposition members/innnocent people desperate or food are beaten and inflation is something like 2250%.

What needs to be done?

ReputationRep:
    Send him a packet of Monster Munch and a Twix.

ReputationRep:
    Annex Zimbabwe and call it Rhodesia again that's the best plan.

ReputationRep:
    If a company was failing this badly, they'd have administrators sent in by now.

Therefore, I am proposing a Commonwealth Administrator to be appointed to govern the territory.

I'm torn between doing this now (which would likely require military action) or waiting until Mugabe dies. Whatever does less harm to the general public.

ReputationRep:
    One of the incredibly rare occasions in the world where I advocate a military interventionist policy. The man, once great, has become a total lunatic, and people are beginning to starve to death. But any invasion should be in and out ASAP. That said, he's so old that he's likely to die in the very near future.

ReputationRep:
    Wait for him to die or step down. Either way, it won't be a long wait. The rest should sort itself out after that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilliwoo)
    Wait for him to die or step down. Either way, it won't be a long wait. The rest should sort itself out after that.
    We could always... you know... speed up the former a bit.

*conspirational nudge*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libertin du Nord)

*conspirational nudge*
    I heard he's rather partial to coital activities of the rough kind; that might be a way in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilliwoo)
    I heard he's rather partial to coital activities of the rough kind; that might be a way in.
    Ooh, I salute your double-entendre, sir.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libertin du Nord)
    Someone call for the GZC?

ReputationRep:
    The most obvious solution would be a military invasion (since sanctions wouldn't make much impact on a country with 100,000% inflation). Of course, we'd have to be prepared to stay there a while.

Sorry, Dionysus, you can't really invade and get in and out quickly. If you destroy a country's government and army you'll have to wait around until they can rebuild it. Otherwise you leave the country in anarchy which is, arguably, worse than Mugabe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    The man, once great, has become a total lunatic, and people are beginning to starve to death.
    Sorry, he was always a lunatic. Completely. Along with his North Korean allies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agamemnon)
    Sorry, he was always a lunatic. Completely. Along with his North Korean allies.
    Yeah but he was (apparently) anti-Imperialist, standing up to the evil West etc. And that weighs really really heavily in the "good guy" column

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniOfLife)
    Yeah but he was (apparently) anti-Imperialist, standing up to the evil West etc. And that weighs really really heavily in the "good guy" column
    I find nothing in him to admire. Did you know that he kept in place most of the security apparatus that was in power in the former Rhodesia? He kept the same white man who ran it before. He may be anti-Imperialist but he managed to turn Zimbabwe into even more of a place of suffering than it was before. He never had any intention of turning it into a democracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniOfLife)
    The most obvious solution would be a military invasion (since sanctions wouldn't make much impact on a country with 100,000% inflation). Of course, we'd have to be prepared to stay there a while.

Sorry, Dionysus, you can't really invade and get in and out quickly. If you destroy a country's government and army you'll have to wait around until they can rebuild it. Otherwise you leave the country in anarchy which is, arguably, worse than Mugabe.
    That would depend largely on whether there was any significant guerrilla resistance to the invasion. If there was, prolonged presence would be be futile - it would just turn into another Iraq. If the people greeted the invaders with open arms, then yes, it would be possible to leave a peacekeeping force to maintain order. As for destroying the government, I'm not so sure there is much of a government left to rebuild. You'd have to start from scratch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    That would depend largely on whether there was any significant guerrilla resistance to the invasion. If there was, prolonged presence would be be futile - it would just turn into another Iraq. If the people greeted the invaders with open arms, then yes, it would be possible to leave a peacekeeping force to maintain order. As for destroying the government, I'm not so sure there is much of a government left to rebuild. You'd have to start from scratch.
    Not to burst your bubble or anything but the US and UK forces were initially met with open arms by the Iraqis too.

You need to leave the troops in place until such time as the country (who'se security forces you have destroyed) are rebuilt. That cannot happen overnight. And devoid of any security forces anarchy will fill that void. So there is no way to have a short sharp invasion without having a prolonged military presence afterwards. Unless, of course, you don't mind leaving a mess behind.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing. The world has told us it doesn't want our intervention anymore. So **** 'em and let them sort their own mess out.

ReputationRep:
    Zimbabwee and Iraq can't really be compared. I think any action we take against Mr Psycho would not be met by much resisdence.
    We have a history with Rohdesia/Zimbabmay so maybe the UK can't take such a major role, but the people want change. Zimbabway is nothing like Iraq.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smashlite)
    Zimbabwee and Iraq can't really be compared. I think any action we take against Mr Psycho would not be met by much resisdence.
    We have a history with Rohdesia/Zimbabmay so maybe the UK can't take such a major role, but the people want change. Zimbabway is nothing like Iraq.
    The Iraqi people also wanted change. I think if the West went into Zimbambwee and messed it up like Iraq they would quickly feel unwelcome and we'd hear cries of Imperialism. If we'd got it right in Iraq at the beginning Iraq would be far far better now. But the two situations can be compared to some extent.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how some country wanting a militant black nationalist as leader, then not liking the consequences, requires us to do anything.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 21, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.