Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I dunno if anybody else experienced this - but i had a completly hopeless teacher for one of my subjects - infact he was a total moron. We recieved no notes, the teaching was sparse and of a reeeeeally poor standard.
    I had to slog my guts out (and pay for a tutor) to substitute the er, lack of teaching in this subject !
    I propose that if your teacher is a dosey moron - you should be entered for a special module entitled moron studies - and if you achieve reasonable marks in said subject taught by said moron you should recieve 50 UMS !!
    I hate the way that grades are largely achieved according to the standard of teaching provided - as this is for most, a lottery !! A culturally biased lottery at that ....

Just a rant ...... but all who agree say ayeeee

ReputationRep:
    Well did you complain about said teacher? If not, there's not really anyone you can blame except yourself imo.

ReputationRep:
    I attended the third-highest-ranked grammar-school in the U.K.

Actual 'teaching' was elusive and sporadic, even there. So, seconded.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    :rolleyes:

Silly.

ReputationRep:
    You can't rely on teachers IMO, I always check the syllabus myself to make sure that the teacher has gone over everything and most of the time, they've left huge gaps.

ReputationRep:
    oh dont worry, said teacher was complained about more than 2wice !

Im not saying the teachers do all the work - or that they should - im just saying that the work is much more managable when you have a good teacher !!

I did put in the extra slog and i did get an A so im not complaining really, but not everybody was as resourceful as I, and a decent teacher would have been good for them !

Its unfortunate that some peeps dont have access to teachers who inspire is all im saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bangler)
    oh dont worry, said teacher was complained about more than 2wice !

Im not saying the teachers do all the work - or that they should - im just saying that the work is much more managable when you have a good teacher !!

I did put in the extra slog and i did get an A so im not complaining really, but not everybody was as resourceful as I, and a decent teacher would have been good for them !

Its unfortunate that some peeps dont have access to teachers who inspire is all im saying.

Ah fair enough then. Yeah it is a shame when teachers don't inspire.

ReputationRep:
    Aye! We had two teachers for Chemistry. One would have us copy out of a large text book every lesson until we all had our own written copy. He would set us extra work to be copied out of the book, but the book was NOT to be taken off the school premises. We were not to interrupt any of his lessons if we wanted a book or to bring one back. Nightmare! The other one dictated out of a work book that used to belong to my approximately forty-ish, maybe forty-five Biology teacher. Boring doesn't even BEGIN to cover it.

ReputationRep:
    I had amazing maths and physisc teachers.....but that computing teacher of mine was a total "know it none"...
    OMG we all failed computing bad lol

ReputationRep:
    Write a petition, get it signed by everyone in the year and hand it in to the headmaster. Didn't work for us but maybe you'll get lucky.
    Simple way to get around crap teachers. Throw away your notes and buy yourself a revision guide and some textbooks. GCSE chem mocks using class notes - 60%, GCSE chem using revision guide - 98%

ReputationRep:
    My Maths department messed up quite bad...I was the only person who passed (A), EVERYONE else got a U! I feell really sad for people though but i ddi see it coming, the teachers were all so relaxed despite the fact the class didnt start unit 3 (M1) until two weeks before exam. The highest grade ive heard about in that module was 4/100

But then its not always thier fault. The class seemed to think the teachers shoudl deliver everything to them on a plate and maths especially isnt a subject like that. it really is a case of practice makes perfect and my fellow students didnt grasp that.

ReputationRep:
    My Accounting teacher was a b*tch. Her teaching methods were so rubbish, hardly anyone knew anything (apart from the total nerds) and then she would put people on the spot and tell them off when they didn't know the answer. It's like "if you don't teach us properly, how the ****** are we supposed to know?!"

Anyway, I only really noticed how crap she was when i was revising before the exams. Had some really ****e revision materials. She gave us test papers to do over the holidays but no answer script!! How the hell are we supposed to know if what we are doing is right if we don't know what the answer is or no one is there to mark it?!

Im dropping it this year, so don't care about her anymore. I still got a D which I am proud of (considering the teaching).

I experienced some moron lolz, but just had to make my own notes.

ReputationRep:
    I think loads of people have trouble with teachers. My stats/decision modules for maths was entirely self taught, because the teacher seemed to think that it was good enough to cover the whole unit in 2 weeks and nobody understood it. Most of my Biology AS is also self-taught because one of my teachers was absolutely useless - he'd give us sheets after sheets, and tell us to fill in worksheets/make posters/do presentations - anything other than teach it to us properly. My other teacher was reasonably OK until he passed away, then everything was pandemonium because they couldn't find a replacement teacher. We were stuck in a limbo for about 5 months. German? Don't even get me started. My teacher told us the wrong information for our oral exams because she had misread it and told us about the A2 oral exam instead of AS. The other one forgot to teach us a topic.

So all in all, I have been taking my education into my own hands for a while now :p:

(Original post by Excalibur)
    I think loads of people have trouble with teachers. My stats/decision modules for maths was entirely self taught, because the teacher seemed to think that it was good enough to cover the whole unit in 2 weeks and nobody understood it. Most of my Biology AS is also self-taught because one of my teachers was absolutely useless - he'd give us sheets after sheets, and tell us to fill in worksheets/make posters/do presentations - anything other than teach it to us properly. My other teacher was reasonably OK until he passed away, then everything was pandemonium because they couldn't find a replacement teacher. We were stuck in a limbo for about 5 months. German? Don't even get me started. My teacher told us the wrong information for our oral exams because she had misread it and told us about the A2 oral exam instead of AS. The other one forgot to teach us a topic.

So all in all, I have been taking my education into my own hands for a while now :p:
    Yeah I experience the same thing in many of my lessons, especially the dreaded slide shows!! thats why I think some bright people who should do well don't normally do well in As or A-levels because the teaching is lacking.

ReputationRep:
    my English teacher gave us not one single note
    i had to borrow notes from students in the other English class, and i had to research alot of notes online..i got a B in the end

chemistry,my teacher was c**p...there was 11 people in my AS class...and 7 of them got E's and U's..including me..however one boy did get a C..it does depend on the teacher but the student has to put the work in aswell.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.