Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first year and have been in Uni for about 5 weeks now. Already I'm starting to think whether I made the right choice coming here. Living here I can deal with, but the course itself is just something I can't handle. I knew that it would be challenging, but so far three of my four modules are not going into my head. I can't understand a single thing that's going on. I've asked for help but I 've found it useless. I keep hearing of peoples' stories on how uni wasn't for them and that an apprenticeship was a better way to understand my particular field of study. Yet, I feel that if I drop out I'll be disappointing my family (my dad couldn't handle GCSE's and my Mum couldn't handle A-levels. Both wanted me to go to uni to have a better chance than them).

What makes things harder is that my parents constantly say how proud they are of me and when I got accepted they wouldn't stop boasting about it. I feel that if I continue, I'll be forcing myself into a career I could possibly hate, whereas if I go on an apprenticeship I may enjoy the field more. Any advise on how to tackle my problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S359)
    I'm a first year and have been in Uni for about 5 weeks now. Already I'm starting to think whether I made the right choice coming here. Living here I can deal with, but the course itself is just something I can't handle. I knew that it would be challenging, but so far three of my four modules are not going into my head. I can't understand a single thing that's going on. I've asked for help but I 've found it useless. I keep hearing of peoples' stories on how uni wasn't for them aha apprenticeship was a better way to understand particular field of study. Yet, I feel that if I drop out I'll be disappointing my family (my dad couldn't handle GCSE's and my Mum couldn't handle A-levels. Both wanted me to go to uni to have a better chance than them). What makes things harder is that my parents constantly say how proud of me they are and when I got accepted they wouldn't stop boasting about it. I feel if I continue, I'll be forcing myself into a career I could possibly hate, whereas if I go on an apprenticeship I may enjoy the field more. Any advise on how to tackle my problem?
    There is no point in being in uni if you fail to learn. Get a paid job/apprenticeship with prospects, work your way up. It is your life, not your families. Why waste your own time and throw yourself into debt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S359)
    I'm a first year and have been in Uni for about 5 weeks now. Already I'm starting to think whether I made the right choice coming here. Living here I can deal with, but the course itself is just something I can't handle. I knew that it would be challenging, but so far three of my four modules are not going into my head. I can't understand a single thing that's going on. I've asked for help but I 've found it useless. I keep hearing of peoples' stories on how uni wasn't for them and that apprenticeship was a better way to understand particular field of study. Yet, I feel that if I drop out I'll be disappointing my family (my dad couldn't handle GCSE's and my Mum couldn't handle A-levels. Both wanted me to go to uni to have a better chance than them). What makes things harder is that my parents constantly say how proud of me they are and when I got accepted they wouldn't stop boasting about it. I feel if I continue, I'll be forcing myself into a career I could possibly hate, whereas if I go on an apprenticeship I may enjoy the field more. Any advise on how to tackle my problem?
    Hey,

All I can say is do whatever the **** you want to do. Just do something you want as well as being realistic. Uni will probably keep your options open and allow career movements depending on your background.

ReputationRep:
    I think before you make any decisions you should consider why you went to uni in the first place, you just might be having a little panic like many people do in their first while at uni. I understand that you said even when you asked for help it wasn't useful but many e-mail or speak to your lecturer and say you're particularly struggling and ask if they can help you/provide you with advice.

Also, maybe ask some people in your lectures and classes if they're clueless as well and if it's a mutual feeling amongst a few of you maybe it's the method in which your being taught which isn't effective.

In regards to your apprenticeship, I don't know what your studying but assuming you did A-levels or the relevant difficulty, it's a bit gutting to drop out since you got your A-levels specifically for uni. Well I guess it's not entirely a waste since you were educated but if the apprenticeship doesn't have really high entry requirements in terms of qualifications, it's a bit meh if you spent time doing A-levels to get into an apprenticeship which you don't even need them for and you got them specifically to go to university. However, that's just an assumption of your situation, I could be wrong.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.