The Student Room Group

New A Level Further Maths 2017

The A Levels are becoming linear which means all exams must be taken in the same year. But it's not clear whether this must be done in year 13.

So if a student is doing both maths and further maths, would it be possible for the student to do the maths A Level in year 12 i.e. take all of the maths exams at the end of year 12, and then take further maths in year 13?
Original post by 0-)
The A Levels are becoming linear which means all exams must be taken in the same year. But it's not clear whether this must be done in year 13.

So if a student is doing both maths and further maths, would it be possible for the student to do the maths A Level in year 12 i.e. take all of the maths exams at the end of year 12, and then take further maths in year 13?

I don't see why not. As it's just time. This is how double maths already works.

Not sure if additional further maths is being reformed...
Original post by 0-)

Yes you can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maths is Life
I don't see why not. As it's just time. This is how double maths already works.

Not sure if additional further maths is being reformed...

Additional further maths will no longer exist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Not only can you do this, but then you could retake the Maths A Level at the end of year 13 if it didn't go as well as hoped. You'd have to retake all exams, of course, which would be a lot of work, but the option is there.
Original post by Pangol
Not only can you do this, but then you could retake the Maths A Level at the end of year 13 if it didn't go as well as hoped. You'd have to retake all exams, of course, which would be a lot of work, but the option is there.
TBH, it really isn't that much work if you're on top of the FM side of things. (I did this, as did many of my cohort, and it really wasn't any kind of stress at all).
Reply 6
Original post by gdunne42

Do you know if it will be common for schools to do it like this from 2017 i.e. maths in Y12 and FM in Y13?

The alternative is to take all maths and further maths exams at the end of Year 13, which sounds like a lot.

I know that FM has been designed so that it can be taught in parallel with maths so I'm thinking that some schools will do it this way.
Reply 7
Original post by 0-)
Do you know if it will be common for schools to do it like this from 2017 i.e. maths in Y12 and FM in Y13?

The alternative is to take all maths and further maths exams at the end of Year 13, which sounds like a lot.

I know that FM has been designed so that it can be taught in parallel with maths so I'm thinking that some schools will do it this way.

Each school will have their own way of dealing with this, but in general, it is much harder for smaller schools to run things this way. The regular maths students will have to be split into those doing further as well and those who are not, with each group needing a different teacher or class. Small schools will simply not be able to afford to do this. Schools with entire further maths classes of moderate size would find it easier.
Original post by 0-)

Some schools will do one in Y12 and the other in Y13. Indeed the full A level exams will be set in the first year of the new specification because feedback was that this was needed.
One possible issue is that some universties have insisted in the past that you meet their entry requirements with three full A levels in the same exam period.
Additional further maths will no longer exist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does anyone know why?
Is it because it's too much content for schools and it's just pointless as you can pretty much skip the first year of a degree...
Reply 10
I wanted to take Further Maths but only for AS since I don't think I will be able cope with it at A2, but now I'm not going to take it at all because that isn't possible. Did anyone here do Further Maths at A2? How hard is it, or how can I prepare for it if I'm in Year 11 at the moment?
Original post by Moppet
I wanted to take Further Maths but only for AS since I don't think I will be able cope with it at A2, but now I'm not going to take it at all because that isn't possible. Did anyone here do Further Maths at A2? How hard is it, or how can I prepare for it if I'm in Year 11 at the moment?

There is nothing in the new specifications to prevent you from taking an AS In further maths.
Working hard to master every aspect of GCSE maths will prepare you well to study A level maths and further maths. Some people have the opportunity to study extra maths qualifications that introduce some of the A level content such as Additional Maths (OCR) or a further maths GCSE/level 2 certificate. If your school offers that opportunity take it, but if not it isn't essential.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DFranklin
TBH, it really isn't that much work if you're on top of the FM side of things. (I did this, as did many of my cohort, and it really wasn't any kind of stress at all).

In my days, (a long time ago) it was very political.

My school forbid us to take A-Level maths in the Lower Sixth because they said
no matter what grade you achieved, you'd have to declare it on the UCCA (yes
UCCA, not UCAS!) form.

Not sure if that were entirely true but it did mean the school would look less good in the league tables if you only got a B, so they maximised your chances of
getting an A by delaying until the Upper Sixth to take it.

However, that meant you had to take both the A-Level and Further (plus any
other S-Levels / STEP) in the same year.

In the end I had 15 hours of maths exam within a space of 2 weeks!

There is nothing in the new specifications to prevent you from taking an AS In further maths.
Working hard to master every aspect of GCSE maths will prepare you well to study A level maths and further maths. Some people have the opportunity to study extra maths qualifications that introduce some of the A level content such as Additional Maths (OCR) or a further maths GCSE/level 2 certificate. If your school offers that opportunity take it, but if not it isn't essential.

Additional FM is not exactly a new area of maths devised in the last 20 years or so but added so it enabled students that
followed the modular system could do more maths and get extra credit for it.

MEI had the widest syllabus as far as I could remember, encompassing pure, applied, stats, numerical and engineering
statics, (though no discrete and markov processes in stats).

It was spread over two papers for A-Level and 2 for FM, so you only got 2 A-Levels out of it, instead of 3.

Think London board allowed you to take Pure Maths A-Level, Applied Maths A-Level and Stats A-Level, in order to gain
3 A-Levels.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by dugdugdug
In my days, (a long time ago) it was very political.

My school forbid us to take A-Level maths in the Lower Sixth because they said
no matter what grade you achieved, you'd have to declare it on the UCCA (yes
UCCA, not UCAS!) form.

Not sure if that were entirely true but it did mean the school would look less good in the league tables if you only got a B, so they maximised your chances of
getting an A by delaying until the Upper Sixth to take it.

However, that meant you had to take both the A-Level and Further (plus any
other S-Levels / STEP) in the same year.
I think in general if you were going to take an S-level, you needed to take the A-level at the same time. (Certainly true for my cohort, hence 3 of us retaking A-level maths despite already having a grade A in it. I think the school had little hesitation declaring the 'A' grades for both sittings, as well!).

In the end I had 15 hours of maths exam within a space of 2 weeks!
Yeah, ~18 hours here (from memory; might have been more). But other than having S-level M+FM on the same day (*), it wasn't that stressful. Of course, by the same token, the M+FM A-levels were pretty trivial if you were working at S-levels, and realistically, a 2.5 hour exam was more like 90 minutes of actual work, and an hour of increasingly idle checking.

Edit: Just thiking back, at that time the Tripos was 12 hours over 2 days. Part III was 18 hours over 4 days.

Think London board allowed you to take Pure Maths A-Level, Applied Maths A-Level and Stats A-Level, in order to gain
3 A-Levels.
In my time it was M (Maths with Mechanics), FM and Maths with Stats. Maths with Stats and M shared the pure material, so no-way was taking all 3 "worth" 3 A-levels, but it was generally counted as them. (I actually did this, but more because I took Maths with Stats quite young, and no-one had quite worked out that "that's a dead-end A-level, you'll need to retake with Mechanics so you can do the S-level and the FM exam".

(*) M + FM S-level on the same day is probably the most exhausting exam experience I've endured - considerably worse than the Tripos. I ended up having to write an answer out again during the second exam because I'd written so much my handwriting was falling apart. Fortunately I had a good 7 answers, so in the end I decided I was at diminishing returns and left early.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DFranklin
I think in general if you were going to take an S-level, you needed to take the A-level at the same time. (Certainly true for my cohort, hence 3 of us retaking A-level maths despite already having a grade A in it. I think the school had little hesitation declaring the 'A' grades for both sittings, as well!).

Yeah, ~18 hours here (from memory; might have been more). But other than having S-level M+FM on the same day (*), it wasn't that stressful. Of course, by the same token, the M+FM A-levels were pretty trivial if you were working at S-levels, and realistically, a 2.5 hour exam was more like 90 minutes of actual work, and an hour of increasingly idle checking.

Edit: Just thiking back, at that time the Tripos was 12 hours over 2 days. Part III was 18 hours over 4 days.

In my time it was M (Maths with Mechanics), FM and Maths with Stats. Maths with Stats and M shared the pure material, so no-way was taking all 3 "worth" 3 A-levels, but it was generally counted as them. (I actually did this, but more because I took Maths with Stats quite young, and no-one had quite worked out that "that's a dead-end A-level, you'll need to retake with Mechanics so you can do the S-level and the FM exam".

(*) M + FM S-level on the same day is probably the most exhausting exam experience I've endured - considerably worse than the Tripos. I ended up having to write an answer out again during the second exam because I'd written so much my handwriting was falling apart. Fortunately I had a good 7 answers, so in the end I decided I was at diminishing returns and left early.

There was something "wrong" with MEI.

S-Levels were meant to be based on the A-Level syllabus but more challenging questions but somehow S-Level contained partial diff, which was not found in the A-Level, nor FM!

Also not sure why S-Level (even nowadays, AEA) FM was discontinued.

My FM "applied" paper was over 3 hours, where you could freely choose any 7 from 18 questions, 9 were stats, 9 applied. It was commonly known out of the 9, there were 2 easy questions, 2 mid and 3 difficult ones, so effectively you could choose all 4 easy and 3 mid questions.

HOWEVER, my school only taught stats, meaning our choice was severely limited. It wasn't until I met someone from another school, who was taught all both stats and applied, did I realise how cheated my classmates and I were.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest