The Student Room Group

If Trump is elected, will he be able to do anything drastic?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oldercon1953
For Republicans to oppose Trump now is one thing, to oppose him after being elected is something else.
Keep this in mind; if it looks like Trump is going to be successful in " draining the swamp ", something every American wants, he will go down as a true revolutionary President. NO ONE will want to be on the record as opposing him except, like I said, the most far-left whack jobs in Congress.
Trump has now committed to executing a number of actions upon taking office; immigration reform, removing the cap on defense spending, etc. My guess is, the more he remains true to doing what he promised, the more the American people will back him and all the more reason why those up for mid-teerm election won't want to appear as obstructionist

I'll have to have a look at the US Constitution again tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure he won't be able to impose term limits by executive order and I'm sceptical that there is legislation existing that would be able to be used as the basis, consequently were looking at, at the very least, an act of congress to implement it, if not a full blown constitutional amendment. There are certainly better ways of solving the apparent problem, the simplest would be for people to actually bother voting in primaries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 2016_GCSE
I have no issue with Trump. You guys need to go see all the stuff Hillary has done!

Why don't you enlighten us on 'all the stuff' that she's done??

Hillary's not great but she definitely trumps Trump. At least she has political experience..
Original post by Jammy Duel
I'll have to have a look at the US Constitution again tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure he won't be able to impose term limits by executive order and I'm sceptical that there is legislation existing that would be able to be used as the basis, consequently were looking at, at the very least, an act of congress to implement it, if not a full blown constitutional amendment. There are certainly better ways of solving the apparent problem, the simplest would be for people to actually bother voting in primaries.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The President COULD NOT impose term limits by executive order. Wish it was that easy.
Term lengths are set in Article One of the Constitution. When changes are needed to an Amendment or an Amendment is to be repealed,(Prohibition for example), the old original Amendment is left in place and the modifying Amendment is added to the complete list of Amendments at the end of the Constitution as a new Amendment. I'm sure I could have said that better.
Fortunately, term limits are a pretty straight forward concept. Nothing in Article one will have to be changed which makes the process a lot less complex. It's like an addendum would be added to the Amendment. I'm WAY out of my league here. Maybe someone who actually knows could help out. In your last sentence you mention solving the, "apparent problem"???? by people voting in primaries.
My support for term limits is a desire to eliminate some of the entrenched corruption in Gov. No one should set in a seat of power, at any level, for life.
Original post by Lh030396
At least she has political experience..

You do realise that his is the big attraction for a great number of Trump voters.
The utter contempt for most of the political class is one of her biggest draw backs.

Edit.

Hahaha and in a case of perfect timing i have just gotten a notice on my phone from The Guardian (18:42hrs Friday 28th ) that the FBI are looking again at Clintons Email server as something new has come to light. New emails eh? I wonder if it comes from Wikileaks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Why don't you enlighten us on 'all the stuff' that she's done??

Hillary's not great but she definitely trumps Trump. At least she has political experience..

Many of the things she's done are simply, questionable, not illegal. Two of the most recent however, should disqualify her as President. Having a private e-mail server is clearly illegal. At the very least she should lose her security clearance. If she was in the military it would have happened the same day it was discovered. The second thing turns my stomach. She stood over the caskets of the seals who were murdered at Benghazi and lied to the nation, saying the cause was a result of a bullsh--. video when she had already told several people another story. Then she denied there was no stand-down order given when there was a quick response team of seals just twp hours away in Italy.

She also sold consideration and influence while S.o.S.

Trump, as far as I can see, was suppose to have grabbed some women crotch 30 years ago.
Gimme a break.
Original post by caravaggio2
You do realise that his is the big attraction for a great number of Trump voters.
The utter contempt for most of the political class is one of her biggest draw backs.

Edit.

Hahaha and in a case of perfect timing i have just gotten a notice on my phone from The Guardian (18:42hrs Friday 28th ) that the FBI are looking again at Clintons Email server as something new has come to light. New emails eh? I wonder if it comes from Wikileaks.

Contempt for the political elite? But Trump is elitist as well!! He was born into immense wealth and has absolutely NOTHING in common with the average working class American!!

Same thing with Nigel "I'm down with the working class but don't let me spend too much time with them because I need to get back to the mansion and the foreign wife" Farage!! They couldn't give a damn about the average Joe. It's all a load of political propaganda bull****!

Trump is quite simply on a power trip. He wants to be president for the sake of being president. Something to tick off the bucket list before he croaks it. If he makes office you'll see how truly clueless he is. If he doesn't make president he'll throw all his toys out of the pram like he did when he didn't win the Emmy LMAO!

Just Trump being in the running for president in the first place demonstrates how truly *beep*ed up 21st century American politics really is!! Just you wait, it will be Tan Mom who will be in the running next...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JapanNet
If Trump is elected, will he be able to do anything drastic?

Freakenomics did an interesting analysis in their programme, How much does the President Really Matter?

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/freakonomics-radio-how-much-does-the-president-really-matter/

The nub of it was that in terms of home policy, not much. The president can indeed put forward legislation, but it is for the houses of congress and senate to push it through and they are generally so balanced that it is hard to get anything controversial through.

However, where damage can be done is in foreign policy. Given the nature of international dependency, trade and war, saying the wrong thing can have big repercussions.
Contempt for the political elite? But Trump is elitist as well!! He was born into immense wealth and has absolutely NOTHING in common with the average working class American!!

Same thing with Nigel "I'm down with the working class but don't let me spend too much time with them because I need to get back to the mansion and the foreign wife" Farage!! They couldn't give a damn about the average Joe. It's all a load of political propaganda bull****!

Trump is quite simply on a power trip. He wants to be president for the sake of being president. Something to tick off the bucket list before he croaks it. If he makes office you'll see how truly clueless he is. If he doesn't make president he'll throw all his toys out of the pram like he did when he didn't win the Emmy LMAO!

Just Trump being in the running for president in the first place demonstrates how truly *beep*ed up 21st century American politics really is!! Just you wait, it will be Tan Mom who will be in the running next...

Your British class consciousness is showing. If you didn't know Trump had a lot of money you would never guess it by his demeanor, would you. You surely wouldn't know it from his speech. A lot of you, in my opinion, can't wrap your heads around the idea that a guy can have as much money as God and still be an ordinary Joe. We do have a class of people who have money and act like it but we don't call them, "elites", we call them as-holes.

All politicians are on a power, ego trip. So what. But I don't think this is Trumps motivation for running.
Trump is just an average American who did well in business with a deep sense of patriotism and a desire to not let his country slip any deeper into the swamp. I wouldn't care if Trump bought every vote with a 20 dollar bill for everyone who votes for him. Obama bought his votes with free telephones and promises of free everything. What's the difference? There is no difference.
Trump has pissed in everyones Cheerios and the entire establishment on both sides are scared to death he'll get elected.
(edited 7 years ago)

Your wrong. It's not an abundance of money that creates elitists. Hobos are elitists. A lot of Hobos and a lot of rich people feel that the laws and constraints that apply to everyone else don't apply to them. Trump is too civic minded to feel that way. Can't you tell from the words he uses? Compare Hillary's programmed politispeak to Trumps everyday vocabulary. Hillary's words are not her own. Every sentence she says in public has been distilled and tailored for a politician. She gives a speech and while you understand every word, you don't have any idea what her intentions are. Compare this to Trump who owns every word he speaks. He's not going to enhance border security, he's going to build a wall.
Reply 29
End the fed!

Get assassinated.
Original post by Rhaenys10
Exactly

The term lame duck President simply refers to a sitting Presidents last 6 months or so in office after his successor has been elected. If the President elect is of the other party he's a little more lamer.

However, the lamer he is the less he gives a sh-t. A Pres. can do a lot of damage with executive orders before leaving office, especially if he knows the opposing majority stands a good chance of unraveling his legacy. It's going to be interesting to see what comrade obama comes up with when he's thrown out of our White House.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending