Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Fiddlesticks, I've cocked up the poll - for 'else', read 'elsewhere?'.

I know that holidays can be a misrepresentation of common realities, but with every foreign sojourn that I undertake, I feel more and more desirous to escape this place, for pastures new!

It is my dearest intention to make full use of the UK education system before engaging in mercenary toil in the City for a few years, and then fleeing these lands.

I see this place purely as a platform - to greater things. A few things to muse over:

- High Taxes
    - **** Weather
    - Crippling Cost of Living
    - Several Poorly Rewarded Professionals
    - Roadworks Everywhere
    - Filthy Streets

What do others think? I've noticed a few other threads closely linked to the topic at hand, but perhaps not quite as explicit as this;

(For all responses, be aspirational but realistic. Responses such as "CEO of Citibank, whilst living in Maui for half the year" belong in the realms of fantasy, this is a thread for realists).

As a follow up to the poll:

2. Do you want to live (& work) here for the rest of your professional career?

3. If no, where do you want to live (& work), when and why?

ReputationRep:
    As much as I love the UK, I'd much rather go live/work in the US, the general lifestyle and attitude over there seems a lot better, and we get ripped off with EVERYTHING here in Britain

ReputationRep:
    I want to be a physicist in an academic institution.
    Financially, I would certainly be a lot better off in the US - both for funding for research, and salary-wise.
    However, I'm not sure the academic environment would be as nice there - it's just something I've heard. And I'm not sure how I would feel about living in a country with the death penalty.
    Other considerations are Europe and Australia/New Zealand.

good question, the house prices here are so expensive, i mean the houses in america are so much bigger than the ones here for a cheaper price.

ReputationRep:
    I've been to quite alot of places but never found anywhere I can imagine calling home. Since I'm initially going to be heading down the financial sector route it looks like I'll be keeping put in London as I'm not too fond of Paris or Frankfurt. However I'm going to New York later this year and it could change my mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    And I'm not sure how I would feel about living in a country with the death penalty.
    It shouldn't be a problem, so long as you behave yourself.

good question, the house prices here are so expensive, i mean the houses in america are so much bigger than the ones here for a cheaper price.
    Relatively speaking, they are much cheaper. I look at some Canadian relatives of mine, who do average, middle-management jobs. And yet they live in a massive house near York University (Canada) - on three floors with a games room in the basement and a separate pool. In Southern Africa, most middle class families can and do have servants, swimming pools etc.

I suppose it's different to Continental Europe, where a lot of people tend to rent apartments in cities - but they get better weather, work less hours and have nicer cities.

I would rather live on this backstreet in Barcelona, than most the backstreets in the UK inner cities...
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Our taxes aren't that high.

In fact, they're rather low.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Our taxes aren't that high.

In fact, they're rather low.
    I would refute this.

The average Briton spends every day from 1 January to 30 May working for the tax collector

And for what - patchy schools, patchy healthcare and the worst transport network in Western Europe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    I would refute this.

The average Briton spends every day from 1 January to 30 May working for the tax collector

And for what - patchy schools, patchy healthcare and the worst transport network in Western Europe?
    You forget the moeny spent on roadworks :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I would refute this.

But comapre us with other countries and British tax rates in the 60s - the top band was nearly 90%!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    You forget the moeny spent on roadworks :rolleyes:
    I could think of nothing more profitable than becoming a road contractor.

Everywhere I go there are 'Diversion', 'Roadworks' or 'Road Closed' signs - pavements and road surfaces are torn up like discarded paper. And yet there is often not a single workman in sight.

Everything I read or hear points to new transport developments - motorway widening, private motorways, Crossrail, Chargezone expansion/new projects, Underground expansion et cetera, ad infinitum - and I haven't even mentioned the national railways.

Three things can be assured in this mire of public transport 'developments' - prohibitive costs (in the development and execution stages), unnecessary delays and, in several cases, negligable benefits to the public.

The only thing that this country hasn't cocked up is airline travel.

ReputationRep:
    Fiddlesticks, I've cocked up the poll - for 'else', read 'elsewhere?'.

I know that holidays can be a misrepresentation of common realities, but with every foreign sojourn that I undertake, I feel more and more desirous to escape this place, for pastures new!

It is my dearest intention to make full use of the UK education system before engaging in mercenary toil in the City for a few years, and then fleeing these lands.

I see this place purely as a platform - to greater things. A few things to muse over:

- High Taxes
    - **** Weather
    - Crippling Cost of Living
    - Several Poorly Rewarded Professionals
    - Roadworks Everywhere

What do others think? I've noticed a few other threads closely linked to the topic at hand, but perhaps not quite as explicit as this;

(For all responses, be aspirational but realistic. Responses such as "CEO of Citibank, whilst living in Maui for half the year" belong in the realms of fantasy, this is a thread for realists).

As a follow up to the poll:

2. Do you want to live (& work) here for the rest of your professional career?

3. If no, where do you want to live (& work), when and why?
    Yes, I do want to work in the UK, but I will also work abroad because I feel that the experience of living in other countries is a great one.

I lived in the US for a while, and whilst many things were great about the country, there were things that were far from great.

Britain is not perfect; no country is. But Britain is still one of the greatest nations to live in. I think that the media here really likes to print the bad news rather than the good.

There is a reason why just as many French people live in the UK as British people live in France. Thousands and thousands of Aussies, New Zealanders, Spanish, German, South African, Portuguese, Scandanavian and many other nationalites decide to call the UK home every year. And no, they are not here for the benefits.

However, I am very annoyed with the Defence, Crime and Asylum policy that this government is pursuing. Political Correctness will be the death of the UK, and we should take a leaf out of America's book and look after our own rather than others.

Britain needs to believe in itself again.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and Britain needs to be cleaner!

Get all of the people who are on the dole and can work pick up litter, deal with graffiti etc for their benefit payments!

ReputationRep:
    Britian isn't that bad, let me quote Bill Byson:

"Here is a country that fought and won a noble war,, dismantled a mighty empire in a generally benign and enlightened way, created a far-seeing welfare state - in short, did nearly everything right - and then spent the rest of the century looking on itself as a chronic failure.

The fact is that this is till the best place in the world for most things - to post a letter, go for a walk, watch television, buy a book, venture out for a rink, go to a museum, use the bank, get lost, seek help, or stand on a hillside and take in the view."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by risk-is-good)

Get all of the people who are on the dole and can work pick up litter, deal with graffiti etc for their benefit payments!
    Well there aren't that many 0of them, we have the best employment rate in Europe, if not the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Well there aren't that many 0of them, we have the best employment rate in Europe, if not the world.
    Because 25% of the population does road works!

ReputationRep:
    People with A-levels only beware, they are not really recognised in the U.S. as my aunt found out, she is now a cleaner and used to work in a hospital. I.B's are much better as they are internationally recognised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by risk-is-good)

Indeed, British cities are some of the dirtiest around. For all the hi-tec vans and gadgetry that dustman in Britain seem to have compared to elsewhere, the streets are filthy!

On the Continent, all manner of food vendors, restaurant satellites, bistros, cafes are to be found on pavements - and yet there is hardly any litter as a result. A look around London, Birmingham, Leeds etc. would paint a different picture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    Because 25% of the population does road works!
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Widowmaker)
    People with A-levels only beware, they are not really recognised in the U.S. as my aunt found out, she is now a cleaner and used to work in a hospital. I.B's are much better as they are internationally recognised.
    I know several people with A-levels doing very well for themselves in the US.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.