Turn on thread page Beta

The UK: Do you really want to work here? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Well there aren't that many 0of them, we have the best employment rate in Europe, if not the world.
    But there are enough to make a big difference! It would also stop the cheats and hence save £10s millions per year.

Glad to find someone who sees the good in the UK. Did you hear that by 2020 the UK will overtake Germany as the economic superpower of Europe? Quite a huge leap when you consider how this country was economically in the 70s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Widowmaker)
    People with A-levels only beware, they are not really recognised in the U.S. as my aunt found out, she is now a cleaner and used to work in a hospital. I.B's are much better as they are internationally recognised.
    Probably depends on the A-Levels though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by risk-is-good)
    But there are enough to make a big difference! It would also stop the cheats and hence save £10s millions per year.

Glad to find someone who sees the good in the UK. Did you hear that by 2020 the UK will overtake Germany as the economic superpower of Europe? Quite a huge leap when you consider how this country was economically in the 70s.
    And that we are just a small island.

The UK is a good place to be, though I fully understand rob's reasonings in the first post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metallicafan)
    As much as I love the UK, I'd much rather go live/work in the US, the general lifestyle and attitude over there seems a lot better, and we get ripped off with EVERYTHING here in Britain
    agree whole heartdly...not the US...France

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Widowmaker)
    People with A-levels only beware, they are not really recognised in the U.S. as my aunt found out, she is now a cleaner and used to work in a hospital. I.B's are much better as they are internationally recognised.
    Alevels are much more respected in the US than their high school diploma.

ReputationRep:

Most projections like this should be taken with a pinch of salt. I would be more concerned with the present - City insurance companies and investment houses becoming secondary in the global market.

Several conflicting messages are circulating about the future of Britain's economy. Nobody knows the answers.

Having said that though, the recent press has amazed me - mobile phones worth 4% of Britain's GDP (growing to 6% imminently), Branson having £4bn of new planes on order, or with an option to buy. Continuing roadworks and transport schemes...

ReputationRep:
    Things like the escalating house prices are worrying, but apart from that, I think that the UK is a top class country. The only other place I'd like to work in is the USA, for the experience, and that it seems to have loads of things going for it, and ( most probably my mistaken view) more money lying around, andless extortionate prices. From what little I know of it now, given the choice, to settle there, I'd take it.

Yes, I do want to work in the UK, but I will also work abroad because I feel that the experience of living in other countries is a great one.

I lived in the US for a while, and whilst many things were great about the country, there were things that were far from great.

Britain is not perfect; no country is. But Britain is still one of the greatest nations to live in. I think that the media here really likes to print the bad news rather than the good.

There is a reason why just as many French people live in the UK as British people live in France. Thousands and thousands of Aussies, New Zealanders, Spanish, German, South African, Portuguese, Scandanavian and many other nationalites decide to call the UK home every year. And no, they are not here for the benefits.

However, I am very annoyed with the Defence, Crime and Asylum policy that this government is pursuing. Political Correctness will be the death of the UK, and we should take a leaf out of America's book and look after our own rather than others.

Britain needs to believe in itself again.

I thought a major reason that the USA is flourishing now is because it knows how to use( can't think of a better word ) the immigrant population very well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Most projections like this should be taken with a pinch of salt. I would be more concerned with the present - City insurance companies and investment houses becoming secondary in the global market.

Several conflicting messages are circulating about the future of Britain's economy. Nobody knows the answers.

Having said that though, the recent press has amazed me - mobile phones worth 4% of Britain's GDP (growing to 6% imminently), Branson having £4bn of new planes on order, or with an option to buy. Continuing roadworks and transport schemes...
    Of course. But I would rather hear that Britain will continue to expand than not as it gives people a reason to be hopeful.

Britain has a huge mobile phone market; something that the previous governments have done right in supporting the industry in its infancy period. Vodafone has been such a good company for Britain's economy.

So sad that this industry is the exception and not the rule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    And that we are just a small island.

The UK is a good place to be, though I fully understand rob's reasonings in the first post.
    True. The OP has valid points when comparing the UK to the US.

ReputationRep:
    Britain has a huge mobile phone market; something that the previous governments have done right in supporting the industry in its infancy period. Vodafone has been such a good company for Britain's economy.
    Isn't Vodafone-Airtouch a US registered company?

EDIT: Apologies, it clearly isn't - a rare British entity, in a mobile telecoms world, increasingly dominated by Hutchison Whampoa, NTT DoCoMo et al.
    Although it's US/Asia operations generate significantly more revenue than on these shores - but then that's to be expected, I guess.

The Government has made an absolute killing out of the telecoms industry - ripping them off for 3G licenses on an unprecedented scale, taking 40% of their profits in corporate tax, fining them incessently through OFTEL, effectively kickstarting the handsfree market by vehicle legislation...the list goes on.

ReputationRep:
    There are worse places than the UK, but I don't see myself here in 10 years' time. I certainly want to see more places around the world before I make a commitment to any country. Plus, the really insular attitude some Britons have annoys me.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose in terms of funding and facilities the USA is the best market for my "industry". But on a personally level, the UK has the most advantages.

ReputationRep:
    I can't understand why anyone would want to work elsewhere.

Personally working somewhere foreign wouldn't make me feel successful at all, success can only feel good when you can show it off to the people you've known all your life. For me, I only want success in my homeland, without it it's like being a failure.

Sure house prices are high, the weather isn't sunny often (so what, at least we've got pretty cobbled streets and English culture, meaning less yobs than Ibiza come to visit). Also, remember folks the grass aint always greener on the other side.

Mod Expression - Strong Language Violation - Post Amended to Remove Profanity.

ReputationRep:
    I'm intending to move to somewhere around Vancouver because its just such a beutiful area (British Columbia that is) and there are likely to be better prospects for Computing type employment in that area.

see this is the thing, although our house size is big already, i reckon we would be able to live in a palace if we moved to say america or south africa

would be nice for a change although i do like this country, its my home

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    success can only feel good when you can show it off to the people you've known all your life.
    Not really...you should be happy because you're happy with yourself, not because other people are in awe of your accomplishments. I certainly don't want to hang around the same place all my life trying to impress people just because they've known me a long time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    Not really...you should be happy because you're happy with yourself, not because other people are in awe of your accomplishments. I certainly don't want to hang around the same place all my life trying to impress people just because they've known me a long time.
    I see what you're saying, and maybe I mean other English folk too. I know you should be happy with yourself, but it feels a lot better when you've been successful where you were born? Maybe it's just me. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    I see what you're saying, and maybe I mean other English folk too. I know you should be happy with yourself, but it feels a lot better when you've been successful where you were born? Maybe it's just me. :cool:
    Nah, it's not just you. I understand what you mean...people like to show that they've done better than everyone else around them, but...well, anyone showing off makes me uncomfortable, so I really prefer being happy with myself.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.