Turn on thread page Beta

Why do so many people fail GCSE science? watch

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people I know that are really smart and scientific failed science with a D. Literally half my friends failed. Why is science so damn hard!!!!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Thelabtatpast)
    Lots of people I know that are really smart and scientific failed science with a D. Literally half my friends failed. Why is science so damn hard!!!!
    In GCSEs in general I don't think most people care that much or have the drive or motivation to revise, or even know how to revise etc. Time is probably spent doing other things on top of that, science is made up of 3 disciplines so it requires you to do well overall between those 3, which isn't easy!

ReputationRep:
    Normally people fail because:
    • They didn't prepare enough.
    • Their ability isn't high enough, or
    • There were mitigating circumstances ongoing at the time.

ReputationRep:
    What? Is it really that hard? But if people find it hard my guess is that because you actually need to learn quite a few facts, you can't make anything up. Whereas with maths (if you're naturally good) then theoretically you could methodically work through it. And with english/ rs and other essay based subjects you can kind of make up half of what you write!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    In GCSEs in general I don't think most people care that much or have the drive or motivation to revise, or even know how to revise etc. Time is probably spent doing other things on top of that, science is made up of 3 disciplines so it requires you to do well overall between those 3, which isn't easy!
    "Time spent doing other things" is just procrastination! Which is exactly what I did last year for my GCSE's!

ReputationRep:
    but it's so eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaasy!!!!11!!!1!one

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how they can be really scientific if they failed science? The papers were not that hard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    I don't understand how they can be really scientific if they failed science? The papers were not that hard!
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by comradecrusader)
    but it's so eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaasy!!!!11!!!1!one
    Yes I agree that it is not hard, but you have to respect the fact that different people possess different strengths and weaknesses. Some people find english hard, some science,, or maybe maths...

ReputationRep:
    I passed Core and additional at C giving me 2 GCSE's of my 4. No revision.

ReputationRep:
    People were probably revising on what they had been taught in class. They would read the exam and wouldn't find anything related to what they revised for. Also, some people are brilliant in class, they get good marks on homework and class work and are very bright, but in exams, they may be very anxious and then fail, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I agree that it is not hard, but you have to respect the fact that different people possess different strengths and weaknesses. Some people find english hard, some science,, or maybe maths...
    english isn't a subject and chemistry isn't a science btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    urm the only science is physics... idk what else you're talking about m8

ReputationRep:
    It tends to be the less independent people who fail, the type who don't know what exam board they're on and which revision guides to get. They usually just don't use the resources properly.

ReputationRep:
    English is one of the core subjects you must take at GCSE. WTF? Of course chemistry is a science!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    English is one of the core subjects you must take at GCSE. WTF? Of course chemistry is a science!!!!!
    urm chemistry is not even a subject, it's basically media studies. also gcses are just a tool of the bourgeoise to keep the youth from thinking critically and realising that capitalism is not a valid economic system as it exploits workers for the personal gain of the landed gentry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2016_GCSE)
    I passed Core and additional at C giving me 2 GCSE's of my 4. No revision.
    we can all tell your a genius

ReputationRep:
    Well, I love the idea of science - learning about the world and space and all that, but the way my school teaches it just makes learning all this fascinating stuff a boring chore. They repeat lessons on the same things and it makes me frustrated, especially in biology, which is my favourite science. We had two lessons about the contents of the cell, which I found irritating as I knew it before the first lesson.
    I don't really try in Science anymore as it's boring and not challenging and all so samey samey at my school. Maybe your friends felt the same way as I do?

ReputationRep:
    urm the only science is physics... idk what else you're talking about m8
    It always makes me laugh when Physics teachers say this. +1 :P

ReputationRep:
    Troll a different forum please. Thank you.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.