Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What is consciousness?

ReputationRep:
    Awareness of your surroundings?

ReputationRep:
    Awareness of your own existence and your surroundings. I think that it's also to do with thoughts and emotions, as it's that which distinguishes us from technology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren-x-)
    I think that it's also to do with thoughts and emotions, as it's that which distinguishes us from technology.
    I would argue there is nothing which actually distinguishes us from "technology" in that we could claim consciousness only for ourselves. But i guess we can only be sure if / when the singularity happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTungsten74)
    I would argue there is nothing which actually distinguishes us from "technology" in that we could claim consciousness only for ourselves. But i guess we can only be sure if / when the singularity happens.
    I guess some emotions we have, such as empathy, can't be experienced by technology? Though this is giving me flashbacks to the Channel 4 show Humans (which has season 2 coming out in a few days!!)

Haha, in a few hundred years we may just be a morph of human tissues/cells and circuit boards (and whatever else is in technology)

I also suggest watching Black Mirror on Netflix (S1 ep3, each episode is a different story so you don't need to watch the first 2 episodes) as they morph the two pretty well

ReputationRep:
    Give this a read:

http://edwardfeser.blogspot.co.uk/20...totle.html?m=1

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren-x-)
    I guess some emotions we have, such as empathy, can't be experienced by technology?
    Sure it could. If emotions can come from mere physical processes in the brain, it must surely also be possible from physical processes of artificial intelligence. Technology may not be conscious or be able to sympathise now, but if the brain can manage to do it confined to the laws of physical sciences, then i can only logically conclude we will manage to be able to accomplish it artificially as well. To disagree otherwise would surely require the belief in a "soul" or something which is impossible to replicate merely through the sciences.

ReputationRep:
    Sure it could. If emotions can come from mere physical processes in the brain, it must surely also be possible from physical processes of artificial intelligence. Technology may not be conscious or be able to sympathise now, but if the brain can manage to do it confined to the laws of physical sciences, then i can only logically conclude we will manage to be able to accomplish it artificially as well. To disagree otherwise would surely require the belief in a "soul" or something which is impossible to replicate merely through the sciences.
    Wow, that was really well said! It's interesting to think of it in that way

ReputationRep:
    Like you say, that depends on whether our emotions do come down to 'simply' physical processes.

Some would argue that our emotions are more than just firings of neurotransmitters. They are also influenced by things like our childhood, our 'personality' and our environment. People react differently in different settings, and perhaps no two people ever experience the emotion of 'sadness' in exactly the same way because of that.

Even something like pain, which we believe just comes down to C fibres firing and an involuntary reflex, is influenced by our surroundings, by our psychology and so much more.

ReputationRep:
    It's simply the result of the insular cortex doing it's thing, in mammalian brains anyway.

ReputationRep:
    You're a physicalist. There are 2 striking problems to this position:
    1) If you buy physicalism, it seems like you have to buy determinism too (goodbye free will)
    2) Problems around the nature of being are the hardest things for a physicalist to grapple with

[You were talking of emotions within A.I. but I'm going to talk as if you were talking of consciousness, generally]

'Mary's Room' is perhaps not a compelling anti-physicalist argument but what about this one:
    - Science explains phenomena that are functionalisable
    - Consciousness is not functionalisable
    Therefore, science cannot explain consciousness (Chalmers)

Let's assume you're right and we build some brain-like entity from which consciousness is somehow evident. Does that help us to explain what consciousness is? I don't think so. You could claim that with this artificial consciousness, we could experiment with it in an effort to get closer to what consciousness consists in. But we already have lots of data like that, from humans. And it doesn't help us explain how consciousness comes about or what it is.

A further problem, of course, is how to determine whether an artificial consciousness is authentic or merely a great fake. And it doesn't seem like you can answer that unless you have a good working definition of consciousness in the first place. So, you're back to square one.

ReputationRep:

Always nice to watch for a small word on consciousness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 571122)

Always nice to watch for a small word on consciousness.
    Biocentrism? Consciousness creates the universe? Wow!! If all living beings die, then the entire universe will be gone? Gee...Beyond my imaginations! :-)

Name:  1480889463687.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  36.8 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skunkboy)
    Biocentrism? Consciousness creates the universe? Wow!! If all living beings die, then the entire universe will be gone? Gee...Beyond my imaginations! :-)

Name:  1480889463687.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  36.8 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're still plugged in.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.