Turn on thread page Beta

RAF.. Opportunities to progress from airman? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

So I've decided that a career in the RAF seems like something I would like to pursue. I'm particularly interested in the intelligence analyst and intelligence officer roles. However I'm not sure whether to apply for an airman role or an officer role.

I have a maths degree but having read online about the application process I'm a bit intimidated, especially by the filter interview for an officer position. I'm also worried that an officer position for me may be biting off more than I can chew at this stage, I don't consider myself a natural leader yet but could see myself being ready after gaining experience.

I'm wondering is it common for graduates to enter as airmen? I feel I would like to gain some experience as an intelligence analyst and then progress towards an intelligence officer position. Is this a viable plan?

Any advice appreciated!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    It's a plan. Not a great plan and likely to take a very long time.
    The general split at entry to the Armed Forces is graduate and non-graduate, Officer and enlisted being the split roughly along those lines. Moving up from enlisted to commissioned is a hard thing to do and takes several years to achieve. Other than getting some basic knowledge of the way the military works and the role of people, joining as an Airman is not all that useful 'experience' as far as going for a commission is concerned.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with ProStacker that if you're looking to be an officer during your career it's worth going for it straight off the bat and not joining as an airman. If you're unsuccessful at OASC then consider other alternatives.

I disagree however regarding the graduate split as I feel it's massively changed in even the last 12 months all the LAC's posted to my Squadron have degrees and the vast majority of junior ranks out qualify the SNCO's and JO's. The difference in my job (Air Traffic) is the junior ranks may not have a high natural aptitude so can't be a controller or may be like OP lacking that leadership/guile/confidence demanded of a manager.

That being said, aim high go for the Officer role first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilikepepsi)
    I feel I would like to gain some experience as an intelligence analyst and then progress towards an intelligence officer position. Is this a viable plan?
    Possible, not all that likely though.

In the year I went through IOT they recruited 10 IntOs. 8 of us came through as direct entrants, ie, straight from civvy street. Only 2 were ex-rankers. Those proportions will be broadly similar these days.

By putting yourself in the position of having to apply from being an ex-ranker you're putting yourself into a far smaller pot from which to be selected.

So is it possible? Yes. Is it likely? Not hugely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilikepepsi)
    Hi everyone,

So I've decided that a career in the RAF seems like something I would like to pursue. I'm particularly interested in the intelligence analyst and intelligence officer roles. However I'm not sure whether to apply for an airman role or an officer role.

I have a maths degree but having read online about the application process I'm a bit intimidated, especially by the filter interview for an officer position. I'm also worried that an officer position for me may be biting off more than I can chew at this stage, I don't consider myself a natural leader yet but could see myself being ready after gaining experience.

I'm wondering is it common for graduates to enter as airmen? I feel I would like to gain some experience as an intelligence analyst and then progress towards an intelligence officer position. Is this a viable plan?

Any advice appreciated!
    Hi,

Having successfully finished the application process for IntO, I thought I would add my two cents.

The process does look quite daunting from the outset, but once you get started it very much is one step at a time, which allows you to focus on each stage individually. I wouldn't be put off purely by the application process if the officer route is what you want, there is a lot of good information here and elsewhere online to help you through it!

Also I am a non-graduate, I didn't find it negatively impacted my application in the slightest, I got the impression they were looking for life experiences/achievements/potential rather than if you have a degree or not. Likewise just because someone has a degree it doesn't mean they are a step ahead, there is a lot more to the application than that.

Happy to try an answer any questions you have, also have a proper search around this site and others as I found it invaluable for my application.

All the best.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.