Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for a new book to read, prefferably a classic. I'd like to find an interesting one with a fast moving plot; I'm starting to lose faith in classics as most of them I've read contain a whole lot of waffle. Any reccomendations?

ReputationRep:
    Lorna Doone?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Honestly I enjoy all the waffle sometimes but I recommend Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. A great example of classical post-colonial literature.

ReputationRep:
    Novels can either be plot-driven or character-driven. The former lends itself to fast-paced stories; the latter to more character development and philosophical questions that interest the author. Classics tend to be character-driven: that's what makes them classics! The author has a message to communicate, and that it what lingers, not the actual story itself. The details lie in the waffle.
    Having said that, try 'Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde', 'Lord of the Flies', 'Fahrenheit 451', any of P.G.Wodehouse, 'Age of Innocence' and '1984'. 20th Century novels tend to be a bit less waffle-y than 19th Century ones.

ReputationRep:
    The Picture of Dorian Gray is a really good book if you like books that are pretty dark with themes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hagrid'sWand)
    Novels can either be plot-driven or character-driven. The former lends itself to fast-paced stories; the latter to more character development and philosophical questions that interest the author. Classics tend to be character-driven: that's what makes them classics! The author has a message to communicate, and that it what lingers, not the actual story itself. The details lie in the waffle.
    Having said that, try 'Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde', 'Lord of the Flies', 'Fahrenheit 451', any of P.G.Wodehouse, 'Age of Innocence' and '1984'. 20th Century novels tend to be a bit less waffle-y than 19th Century ones.
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    The Picture of Dorian Gray is a really good book if you like books that are pretty dark with themes.
    Two great books

ReputationRep:
    check out the english literary cannon,

ReputationRep:
    I really enjoyed The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists by Robert Tressell. Was long but not waffle-heavy.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    Dark with themes? so a story with gloomy narration? tell me a bit more to judge if it compatible with my taste for reading.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.