The Student Room Group

A*A*A predicted grades - what should my back up choice be?

I will be submitting my application for Law within the next 2 weeks and my choices so far are:

Cardiff (AAA - AAB)
Bristol (AAA)
Birmingham (AAA)
Leeds (AAA)
Swansea (BBB)

As I have got AAAC at AS in Geog, English Lit, Law, and ICT (in order) and have predicted grades of A*A*A after dropping ICT at AS, how low should my back up choice be? Do you think Swansea is too low, and should I replace it with an AAB university instead? If so, does anyone recommend any good law universities that require AAB I can look into?

I am aware your back up choice is your second choice. I am currently thinking that if I get offers, I would like to put either Bristol or Leeds as my first choice, and Cardiff my second. I put Swansea down originally in case I choose to put Cardiff as my first choice and needed a lower second choice. However, with my grades atm, I don't think I will do that as I'm fairly confident I can get at least AAA. As well as this, although I don't meet the requirements for contextual offers, my area is not far off (2/5 - 1 being the lowest) and so wouldn't this be taken into consideration by top universities when giving me an offer too?

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What our school told us was that we should have one aspirational choice (ie one grade above our predicted grades - in your case an A*A*A* uni...), two/three solid choices (ie our actual predicted grade or one grade below - in your case A*A*A to A*AA) and two safe choices (ie two/three grades below our predicted grades - in your case an AAA - AAB). Make sure you consider how confident you are of getting your predicted grades though! If you're predicted A*A*A, then a BBB is very safe, possibly too much so, BUT if you like the university and the course and whatnot, then there's no reason why you shouldn't put it down.
Original post by KatieHHH
I will be submitting my application for Law within the next 2 weeks and my choices so far are:

Cardiff (AAA - AAB)
Bristol (AAA)
Birmingham (AAA)
Leeds (AAA)
Swansea (BBB)

As I have got AAAC at AS in Geog, English Lit, Law, and ICT (in order) and have predicted grades of A*A*A after dropping ICT at AS, how low should my back up choice be? Do you think Swansea is too low, and should I replace it with an AAB university instead? If so, does anyone recommend any good law universities that require AAB I can look into?

I am aware your back up choice is your second choice. I am currently thinking that if I get offers, I would like to put either Bristol or Leeds as my first choice, and Cardiff my second. I put Swansea down originally in case I choose to put Cardiff as my first choice and needed a lower second choice. However, with my grades atm, I don't think I will do that as I'm fairly confident I can get at least AAA. As well as this, although I don't meet the requirements for contextual offers, my area is not far off (2/5 - 1 being the lowest) and so wouldn't this be taken into consideration by top universities when giving me an offer too?

If you're nearly ready to apply then apply with 4 choices leaving Swansea off.

By Christmas you'll likely have offers from some or most of your 4 choices and based on what they are you can decide whether you would prefer your 5th choice to be something riskier or an easier back up.
I think you can afford to be more aspirational. You have very good predicted grades, and I think you should apply to 2/3 A*AA universities. I think all of those universities in your original list are in clearing, so there's not much point applying to them directly to be your safe choice when you could just rely on clearing if you have to. That's why you can afford to be more aspirational.

Would you actually want to go to all of those universities? If not, don't apply. I was initially going to apply to Liverpool for Law which is ABB, but I decided against it because a) I wouldn't actually want to go if I actually got ABB, and b) it's in clearing, so if I missed my more aspirational firm I could always go to Liverpool through clearing, thus giving me more room for better universities to apply to first time round.

You should check whether you actually qualify for Cardiff's lower offer.

I personally think you shouldn't apply to any Law unis that ask for less than AAA (or AAB for contextual offer), because if push comes to shove you can always get into those same unis through clearing. I think your list should look something like this:

Durham (A*AA)
UCL (A*AA)
Bristol (AAA)
Birmingham (AAA)
Cardiff (AAA)

The exact unis can be changed but that's the sort of range I think would be suitable for someone with your grades. Of course, if it's simply a matter of preference and you already know what unis you like and don't care about them being ranked lower then just go for them.

If you're still really looking for a good AAB uni for Law then I would recommend Royal Holloway or Aston.
Hmm I think with those grades you should really look at Oxbridge/London unis/Durham
Reply 5
Take off Swansea, leave one or two AAA choices and put more aspirational choices! *cough Oxbridge*

I personally think Cambridge and maybe LSE/UCL should be added to your list, since you have amazing predicted grades, and are clearly more than capable of achieving WELL ABOVE BBB and AAB.
Original post by RedSquirrels
Hmm I think with those grades you should really look at Oxbridge/London unis/Durham

Original post by aminoff
Take off Swansea, leave one or two AAA choices and put more aspirational choices! *cough Oxbridge*

I personally think Cambridge and maybe LSE/UCL should be added to your list, since you have amazing predicted grades, and are clearly more than capable of achieving WELL ABOVE BBB and AAB.

She should apply to Oxbridge after the Oxbridge deadline, yeah?

London unis + Durham, Bristol, Notts etc are good shouts.
Original post by Jasaron
She should apply to Oxbridge after the Oxbridge deadline, yeah?

Oh **** forgot about that 😂😂 it's the 15th isn't it?
OMG I am in the same boat! Predicted A*A*A applying for masters in chemistry. As I am applying for masters some of these Unis will put me on the BSc if I get one grade lower. Was thinking about Nottingham but I am not a fan of Unis that are spread out on difference campuses.

Warwick is my top choice at AAA
Bristol A*AA
Bath AAA
Surrey AAB
Sussex AAB
I am doubtful I will get A*A*A more likely A*AA hence why no oxbridge
I got exactly the same AS grades and predictions so I decided my lowest uni offer would be AAB (Loughborough). Because I'm applying to Oxford I only put one A*AA choice (bath) and the rest AAA, which I'm praying to at least get this year.

In short I'd say go no lower than AAB unless one of the lower uni's really appeals to you since you seem very academically bright :smile:
Reply 11

As I have got AAAC at AS in Geog, English Lit, Law, and ICT (in order) and have predicted grades of A*A*A

I have the same AS grades and predicted grades as you and my highest entry requirement is A*AA and my lowest is ABB. I, personally, would rather use all 5 choices on universities that I'd really like to go to than using one for a uni that has quite low requirements. If you work hard, with those grades, you can definitely get more than BBB! x
Reply 12
I did not expect so many answers or for these answers but thank you! 😂 I will be definitely changing Swansea then for a much higher uni but I'm not sure about changing Cardiff as I really like it and it's only a 30-45 min drive. As I live in a area with a poorer and low HE background I never considered Oxbridge and it never appealed to me and I only actually know one person applying there! Now I got good predicted grades ( although I'm not sure I will get as high as that) I don't know what to do with them!! I'm starting to panic now that I should've applied for law by now though so wouldn't applying to top unis make it riskier?
Reply 13
Original post by helpme:)
OMG I am in the same boat! Predicted A*A*A applying for masters in chemistry. As I am applying for masters some of these Unis will put me on the BSc if I get one grade lower. Was thinking about Nottingham but I am not a fan of Unis that are spread out on difference campuses.

Warwick is my top choice at AAA
Bristol A*AA
Bath AAA
Surrey AAB
Sussex AAB

Isnt Bristol spread out on different campuses?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did not expect so many answers or for these answers but thank you! 😂 I will be definitely changing Swansea then for a much higher uni but I'm not sure about changing Cardiff as I really like it and it's only a 30-45 min drive. As I live in a area with a poorer and low HE background I never considered Oxbridge and it never appealed to me and I only actually know one person applying there! Now I got good predicted grades ( although I'm not sure I will get as high as that) I don't know what to do with them!! I'm starting to panic now that I should've applied for law by now though so wouldn't applying to top unis make it riskier?

That is precisely why you should have considered Oxbridge.
Reply 15
Original post by ageshallnot
That is precisely why you should have considered Oxbridge.

Why do you say that? Would I be more likely to be accepted by a top uni?
Why do you say that? Would I be more likely to be accepted by a top uni?

Oxford and Cambridge in particular bend over backwards to consider applicants from poor schools and disadvantaged socio-economic backgrounds - though it is too late to apply there this cycle. I am less sure about other top universities such as LSE and UCL. Bristol, Exeter and Southampton are among those who lower their offers for those in similar circumstances.

But overall I think you are setting your sights a little low.
Kingston!
Original post by mahmzo
Isnt Bristol spread out on different campuses?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its a city uni but I visited it and all the buildings are scattered around the city. They are not too far and because I have seen bristol, I feel more comfortable apply there instead of nottingham
Either your predicted grades have been unrealistically set by your teachers or you have bad decision making when it comes to choices..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending