Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey guys

what was your score on the sample LNAT... on www.lnat.ac.uk

thanks

jay

ReputationRep:
    man when i try access it it says : "You are not authorized to view this page".. u sure ugot the website right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by portugal)
    man when i try access it it says : "You are not authorized to view this page".. u sure ugot the website right?
    i got the same response

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seana)
    i got the same response
    Ditto, but it seems to work when I type in:

http://www.lnat.ac.uk/index.html

ReputationRep:
    all it takes is one muppet to ruin a poll. I got 20 , but was annoyed that they don't give any explanations to the answers at all...

ReputationRep:
    I got 19.

Which questions did people find easy/hard? I didnt think that the children's books one was difficult at all, but mucked up the trade union question. I was happy with my performance overall, especially as the five other people going for Law who I know from school and extracurricular stuff got 13, 15, 12, 11 and 16. The funny thing is... the test seperated them out exactly as I thought it would.

ReputationRep:
    I was gonna try and do it...but it seemed far too much effort seeing as my brain hasn't been used since the 28th June. Sorry...if i ever get round to doing it..i'll let you know what i get.

G

ReputationRep:
    I must admit I did some preparation which I found valuable, I the notes my brother used when he was applying for master's courses in the US. The advice was simple common sense alot of the time, but it was useful just being told it. E.g. I shut myself in a quiet room and used every minute alloted, didn't rush etc... Did you use the full time? I can't believe they are using the phrase impervious to preparation, I'm convinced it will make a difference and I'm going to try to get hold of as much practice material as possible. I'm sure it has helped me already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellokitty2)
    I must admit I did some preparation which I found valuable, I the notes my brother used when he was applying for master's courses in the US. The advice was simple common sense alot of the time, but it was useful just being told it. E.g. I shut myself in a quiet room and used every minute alloted, didn't rush etc... Did you use the full time? I can't believe they are using the phrase impervious to preparation, I'm convinced it will make a difference and I'm going to try to get hold of as much practice material as possible. I'm sure it has helped me already.
    Have you looked at any critical thinking material yet??

G

ReputationRep:
    I bought the AS level critical thinking recommended course book - waste of money!! not much there to help practice lnat style readinging questions. It is a good intro to logic, but there are not going to be those sort of questions on the lant unless the testers make the test completely different to the sample.

If www.cataga.co.uk don't come out with their book before September, then I'm going to get my aunt in the US send me a load of prep/practice books on sale there!

there is a real limit to both the type of questions they can ask and the way they can ask them on these tests. if we all work hard at this UK-learning students will do very well on this thing.

ReputationRep:
    I bought the AS level critical thinking recommended course book - waste of money!! not much there to help practice lnat style readinging questions. It is a good intro to logic, but there are not going to be those sort of questions on the lant unless the testers make the test completely different to the sample.

If www.cataga.co.uk don't come out with their book before September, then I'm going to get my aunt in the US send me a load of prep/practice books on sale there!

there is a real limit to both the type of questions they can ask and the way they can ask them on these tests. if we all work hard at this UK-learning students will do very well on this thing.
    Was that the Roy Van den Brink-Budgen one??

G

ReputationRep:
    Alec Fisher, Critical Thinking: An Introduction

ReputationRep:
    Alec Fisher, Critical Thinking: An Introduction
    Oh right..i used 'Critical Thinking For Students' by Roy van den Brink Budgen, 3rd edition. I found it went through all the theory very well...easy to read too.

If you're interested..ISBN: 1-85703-634-4

Lemme see if i can dig up some site that i used to practice CT question before i took the exam.

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Lemme see if i can dig up some site that i used to practice CT question before i took the exam.
    Here we are...you'll have to follow the links i'm afraid though

http://www.sirbernardlovell.s-gloucs.sch.uk/home2.htm

Click on 'Post-16 Centre' on the Left toolbar, then 'Learning Resources'.

Then click on 'Key skills' and the CT stuff is on the right hand side of the page. I hope this helps you.

G

ReputationRep:
    im doing law at uni in sept, and although im very glad i didnt have to do the lnat (too many exams already!!) i think it is a bit of a mockery of the intelligence of a 18 year old student. those getting less than 20 probably do not have the sufficient english skills to be doing the majority of degree courses and succeeding. also, unis like APU which ask for CDD would currently accept the weaker students who may enjoy law, but those getting that type of grades next year will not get in. i think the lnat is a total waste of time and money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiccarpet)
    im doing law at uni in sept, and although im very glad i didnt have to do the lnat (too many exams already!!) i think it is a bit of a mockery of the intelligence of a 18 year old student. those getting less than 20 probably do not have the sufficient english skills to be doing the majority of degree courses and succeeding. also, unis like APU which ask for CDD would currently accept the weaker students who may enjoy law, but those getting that type of grades next year will not get in. i think the lnat is a total waste of time and money.

Have you actually looked at and tried to answer the paper?

ReputationRep:
    CDD? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    What will be vastly entertaining is when everyone who has 3A's gets 24/24...

Fabulously entertaining if you ask me..

What about if someone predicted 3 E grades gains 24/24 and the candidate with 3 A's gets only 6?

I wonder which they favour more? The LNAT or A levels?

Anyone else ensuring they apply to a couple of Unis that are steering clear of this idea? Is there a definitive list of participating Unis yet?

Dreama xxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreama)
    What about if someone predicted 3 E grades gains 24/24 and the candidate with 3 A's gets only 6?

I wonder which they favour more? The LNAT or A levels?
    Interesting idea. Although what if they opened it up for those predicted slightly less by one grade than their usual criteria (AAB/ABB etc), yet perform much better than others say on AAA?

ReputationRep:
    I think the whole thing is regressing the Admissions process...

Law should be about who you are, your values, your passion and your need for justice; that is after all the essence of Law.

Instead of moving toward Interviews, and more detailed Personal Statements, or personal essay work on firm beliefs...

We are moving toward a rank list of numbers.

Instead of "Who paid more for their education?" We are entering "Who paid more for their 'Pass The LNAT' book." :rolleyes:

Dreama xxx

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 3, 2004

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.