Telling my partner I want to work abroad for a year after graduating Watch

5845forest
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi there. Thanks for reading.

I'm a final year student studying French and Japanese, and it's come to that dreaded time in my life where I have to start considering what I would like to do after university.

For my year abroad, I spent 1 month in France doing an intensive language course at a university, before going off to Japan for the year to study Japanese there for 1 year. I really enjoyed my time in both France and Japanese and my Japanese has really improved, but as a result of such an intense focus on Japanese for a whole year, I don't have much confidence in using my French, particularly orally.

I've been thinking for a long while, and I've come to the conclusion that, in order to use my languages competently in a professional context, I need to move back abroad and really start to continue improving my speaking skills. The plan would be to move back to France and apply to either be a ALT through the British Council, or apply to be a lecteur at a partner university.

I Should add that I'm considering a career in teaching- a career in which I believe having strong speaking skills is really important. Furthermore, I've read that since I'd need to return to France for a few months anyway to be let onto the course( I've read you need to have spent at least 3 months in the country of the language you intend to teach).

The problem is that I'm in a committed relationship with someone who I love very dearly. He stayed with me throughout the year abroad, and we've both realised we want to be together. It's all very well that I say I want to move abroad for a year to improve my French, but being in a relationship means that you can't be selfish anymore, and expect my partner to just wait for me all the time. The year abroad was very hard for us both, and even though I'm considering moving back to France only for professional development reasons, I'm terrified of telling him what I want to do, and I don't want to put him through the hardship of another year abroad.

So my question is, should I completely abandon my thoughts of returning to France to improve my French, or do it anyway, and hope he understands? If anyone has been in a similar situation, I'd love to hear their story.

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
pmc:producer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You need to talk with him.

You seem committed to your own professional development and seem to have made your mind up - you want to go.

With that, don't risk resenting him by staying - instead work with him to make it work. France isn't even two hours away on a plane!

Could he go with you? Could you take turns coming home at weekends and spending holidays together?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (314)
65.97%
No (162)
34.03%

Watched Threads