Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I graduated uni in July 2016. Moved out of student accommodation mid-July into a house with my boyfriend (who is doing his PhD full-time, therefore a student). Will be here until the end of November.

Just received a council tax letter saying I need to pay 700 pounds worth of tax from period July-March 2017.

I didn't know international students/graduates even pay tax?? And why is it such a large amount??

Anyone experience this before or have any advice?

Cheers.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Kay_LaDope)
    Hi,

I graduated uni in July 2016. Moved out of student accommodation mid-July into a house with my boyfriend (who is doing his PhD full-time, therefore a student). Will be here until the end of November.

Just received a council tax letter saying I need to pay 700 pounds worth of tax from period July-March 2017.

I didn't know international students/graduates even pay tax?? And why is it such a large amount??

Anyone experience this before or have any advice?

Cheers.
    Most people pay council tax. You will be exempt whilst actually a student, but will be liable for the period from your degree ending. Council tax is based on the house, so depends how big your house is; mine is £150 per month so actually £700 for July-March is pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    Being international is irrelevant. All students are exempt from council tax and all non students have to pay. As soon as there is one non students living in a residence then it is liable for council tax. You stopped being a student in the summer and so the property has been liable for council tax since then. Your partner could have claimed an exemption which would have given you a 25% single person discount but I'm not sure this can be applied retrospectively.

ReputationRep:
    The cost of Council Tax is based on the value of the house. The system can be unfair to renters, who do not benefit from the capital value of the house but still have to pay a large council tax based on its value. That's just how it is.

Full-time students do not have to pay council tax. You can get an exemption letter from your institution. This applies to graduate and undergraduate students. Where there are two people in a household, and only one is a full-time student, you are entitled to a 25% single person discount on the bill.

doodle_333 is right in the analysis, I think. Once you had graduated in July 2016, you were obviously no longer a full-time student, and by moving in with your boyfriend, a charge on the property arose. As only one of the household, you, were liable for CT, you could have claimed a 25% discount on the bill (and still might be able to, but you need to check with the council on this). If the household now still only comprises one liable person for CT, then you can continue to receive a 25% discount. However, do not delay in paying any demands, even if they seem grossly wrong - you could end up in court if you do not pay a council tax bill.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.