Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My parents also want me to do medicine at university, although I've firmly told them that I am interested in going down the computing route (in y11 atm). However, I have a lot of friends who are planning to do medicine, but when I further delved into their reasons as to why they wanted to do I discovered many of them have been heavily influenced by their parents. Not conforming to any stereotype, but a lot of them were asian as well. Have any of you guys ever experienced your parents wanting this as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metamorphic)
    My parents also want me to do medicine at university, although I've firmly told them that I am interested in going down the computing route (in y11 atm). However, I have a lot of friends who are planning to do medicine, but when I further delved into their reasons as to why they wanted to do I discovered many of them have been heavily influenced by their parents. Not conforming to any stereotype, but a lot of them were asian as well. Have any of you guys ever experienced your parents wanting this as well?
    I also know a lot of Asian children who had parents expecting them to take medicine, and many conformed. But I also believe some people do choose out of free choice. My parents generally wanted me to take something they considered would lead to a stable and high-paying job, such as economics or medicine, but I didn't feel like I had to listen to them, like many people do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loletta)
    My parents generally wanted me to take something they considered would lead to a stable and high-paying job
    Exactly my parents as well. I think that's a more common attitude amongst parents of medical students than forcing them to do medicine specifically.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    My parents honestly didnt care what I did as long as I was happy. My mum said to me that she would be happy with me doing an apprenticeship or degree, providing I was getting some good training for a career, I think she just didnt want me to end up jumping between jobs like a lot of people.

I come from a working class background, was never pressured to do well in school, I did everything of my own accord and Im now in second year of medical school. I have to admit a lot of people in medical school have parents who expect it of their children, or even try to influence their decisions.

ReputationRep:
    However, I have a lot of friends who are planning to do medicine, but when I further delved into their reasons as to why they wanted to do I discovered many of them have been heavily influenced by their parents. Not conforming to any stereotype, but a lot of them were asian as well. Have any of you guys ever experienced your parents wanting this as well?
    I certainly know a couple of people for whom medicine was chosen before they had even completed their GCSEs.
    Others had an interest in science and were pushed towards medicine, either consciously or subconsciously. Some of my closest friends have quit medicine 3/4/5 years down the line after realising that it was not for them and are much happier for it. I think it takes a lot of courage to do that. And to be honest, I'm not sure 18 is the best age to make such a life-changing decision when you have had little experience of the real world yourself and are ultimately relying on your parents experiences. Of course I know this doesn't apply for everyone, but this has been my experience so far from what I have discussed with other people.

That's the silliest reason ever.

ReputationRep:
    You should get work experience and then that will help you explain wanting or nkt wanting medicine

ReputationRep:
    A lot of parents think a career in medicine will bring lots of respect and money so they push their child to do that which is unfair. Just put your foot down and tell them what you really want to do.

I come from an asian family and eventually decided to do medicine out of my own will (ironic I know) but originally wanted to do something in engineering or maths. They weren't happy with that but after numerous arguments, they eventually gave in.

ReputationRep:
    Hell to the no. And if they'd tried to get me to do a course I didn't enjoy just for the "stability", I'd have laughed in their faces. I do medicine because I want to do medicine. My sister is studying theatre studies, and my other sister is going to do English, Media and Journalism. My brother is only 9, but is right now against any career in medicine/dentistry.

ReputationRep:
    No, I was the first person in my family to go in to medicine, and no-one from my school had been. A lot of family and teachers wanted me to go in to engineering. They were worried I'd not get in and be disappointed, and that was before all the hurdles like UKCAT BMAT and endless voluntary work people have to do today.

ReputationRep:
    Kinda but not really. But obviously asian parents always have the influence.

ReputationRep:
    I actually did not end up doing medicine because my parents persuaded me, not what you would expect haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    From what I have noticed a lot of peopel want to do medicine beacause their parents want them to do it. However, the majority of these people want ot study medicine themselves. Whether or not this is beacuse their parents have always given them that idea.. I do not know

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 28, 2016
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.