The Student Room Group

Edexcel gcse history 9-1 (exam 2018)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by hgj1121
so i'm currently in year 11 about to do gcse in less than a month now (thankfully the history papers are in june). for history i'm doing medicine through time for paper one, american west and elizabeth for paper two, and weimar and nazi germany for paper three. we did a mock on paper one in june of year 10 and i got 7 and did paper two in december of year 11 and i got 7 and just did a mock on paper three last week and got 9!!! our school grade boundary is pretty high i would say. you had to get 85% to get 7 and 90% to get 8 and 95% to get 9 but i'm sure they will lower the grade boundary as they need certain amount of people getting 9s. i have a question, how much does each paper worth? if that makes sense.. so are each papers 33.3% of your gcse or is one more important than the other?
our year doesnt get above a 6, do your teachers make the exams?
Reply 21
Original post by post3
our year doesnt get above a 6, do your teachers make the exams?

we haven't got our physical paper three mock back yet as some people in our class didn't do the test (because they were ill) so we only received the marks. we will be feeding back the paper next monday so will update you later but I'm pretty sure that the paper was the edexcel specimen paper/sample assessment that they put out. I don't understand why your paper only goes up to grade 6 because it's not like you have foundation or higher for history papers so it should allow you to achieve the full potential of getting a 9. Check if you do edexcel first and check if it says "specimen paper" on the front of the test and finally check if it was the full paper because yours could've been half of the paper maybe? For the nazi paper ours was out of 52 and included question 1, 2, 3a, 3b, 3c and 3d and it lasted it 1h20min. Also check that maybe your class did badly? Like no one got above 6? Ask your teacher for that. Check those factors and if yours is the same as mine then I don' see why yours goes up to 6.
Reply 22
Original post by anonymous72
what do you do after you have made all your notes there aren't much past papers only sample papers
I suggest going to your teacher and asking them for some. Edexcel have most of their practice papers locked so only teachers can access them. So if your teacher is kind enough and is not planning to use them for a mock, then they should give it to you.
Original post by PrincessAna
I’m doing medicine, Elizabeth, weimar/nazi germany and Cold War 😴it’s hard

my guy
you're the first person I've met doing the exact same thing as me
Original post by rubenkabir
my guy
you're the first person I've met doing the exact same thing as me

I'm doing the exact same
Reply 25
good luck everyone tomorrow
I just started studying for the crime and punishment exam yesterday...hope it goes well
Original post by edexcel=tears
I know this is for Y10 but I wanna contribute; I'm Y11 so I get to suffer first! I'm doing Crime/Punishment, Elizabeth, Weimar/Nazi Germany and Cold War. I quite like things I'm doing but I find C/P quite hard, the topics feel so brief that I don't fully understand them. Cold War was my favourite and easiest topic to do.

truss me. how did you find todays exam
I found it calm apart from the 8 mark source question which I rushed in like 7 minutes. The 20 marker was calm as my teacher predicted fielding brothers to come up and we did a practise 12 mark q on it. It was similar in what you had to say for the 20
Have you seen these audio lessons before on education umbrella? Myfriends school used them for Macbeth but not tried history ones, hoping someone here has
education umbrella might help for Nazi germnay, they got a few series like it. Posted in here about it already but can't tell if it went through
Reply 30
I'm currently in year 10 and I'm doing medicine through time, Weimar and Nazi Germany, Anglo-Saxon and Norman England and the cold war. I have a mock on Anglo-Saxon and Norman England and the first 9 years of the cold war... ngl I actually have no clue how to revise for it so do u guys have any tips??
Original post by Mosope17
How are you finding history? I am not sure if we all do the same thing but we are currently doing Later medieval crime and punishment

I am studying:
medicine through time
medicine on the British sector of the western front
American West
King Richard and King Jhon
Original post by niachh
I'm currently in year 10 and I'm doing medicine through time, Weimar and Nazi Germany, Anglo-Saxon and Norman England and the cold war. I have a mock on Anglo-Saxon and Norman England and the first 9 years of the cold war... ngl I actually have no clue how to revise for it so do u guys have any tips??

Can only help with Cold War and Weimar (as they were the ones I did for my gcse)
To revise I made flashcards with questions from each paper (e.g: a narrative question for Cold War on the conferences between 1943-45, 8 marks) by picking a big event and a question type for that paper (and then bullet pointed answers).
Seneca learning is also really good for history:yep:
we've finished Elizabethan England and will finish medicine at the end of year 10
Original post by niachh

see if there are any revision sessions at your school, thats what i do and it really helps me. also just a tip for the exam, dont trust the examples of impacts,
THEY ARE LIES!!!!!! thats what my history teacher said anyway.
Is anybody else doing:
Crime and Punishment
Elizabeth
Cold War
USA

??
Have you got the mark scheme, for conflict in the Middle East? Got the exam tomorrow.
Original post by Shanizzle
This is for yr 10 students who are doing Edexcel history this is to help eachother and share resources and any questions you haveI know there are forums for yr 10 but this is specifically for edexcel history

Hi! do you remember which questions were on your Paper about Anglo Saxon and Norman England?
What do you think the hardest topic is?
In my opinion, Weimar Nazi Germany
I'm doing Medicin through time, Russia and the USSR, Cold War, and Henry VIII. My only advice is REGULARLY REVISE. History is now one of those subjects with a heap of content to get through so you cannot at all costs leave revision until the holidays or until a couple of months before the GCSE exams. There is simply too much. For those of you asking to do Geography or History: I took both and am a level 9 in both; in Geography, however, I got 96% on the 2018 papers in my mocks, yet in History I got on the grade boundary of a level 9. I would recommend Geography since the content is easier to learn and so long as you fully know the case studies and fieldwork, you will be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest