The Student Room Group

help

hello. Im callum. not good at english. my teacher sets me a question, and if i dont do it. 1 hour detention... but idk what to write. pls help

Starting with this extract, write about how Shelley presents the importance of love and acceptance to society. Write about:• how Shelley presents the monster’s need to be loved and accepted in this extract• how Shelley presents the importance of love and acceptance to society in the novel as a whole.
I think you need to ask your teacher for help or get a tutor
@Matrix123 help pls x
Original post by JollyKingfisher
I think you need to ask your teacher for help or get a tutor

half term... due first day back
Original post by callum_20011
@Matrix123 help pls x

Heyy :smile:

So, I assume the first question is solely focused on the extract whilst the second one is Frankenstein in general. Do you have any quotes from anywhere, not in the extract, that relate to love and care with Frankenstein? They will be useful for the second question. :yep: I can try and help you write an answer once you find those, if you want? It won't be that great though as I didn't do this one at GCSE, and my English in general wasn't all too great.

As for the first one, see which phrases in the extract you could pick out and talk about.

What structure do you use at school? At my school we did PEEL but some do PEE and others do PEACE...
Posted from TSR Mobile
i got notes. thats all... @Matrix123
i got notes. thats all... @Matrix123

My phone won't open it but you can do word level analysis on verbs such "desire" and "yearning" which shows a great strength in need - a possible point is that the magnitude of these feelings suggest it isn't simply something he wants, but a requirement.

1. Make a point (linking to the question)
2. Provide a concise quotation from the extract
3. Explain the meaning and choice of quotation (such as that above). Whatever you put here could probably be your own interpretation/ the most commonly perceived interpretation
4. Explore multiple interpretations (how other people (I.e. the readers) could interpret the quotation
5. Write a final sentence/couple of sentences to evaluate the Mary Shelley's choice of words/language/structure/form

Repeat this rough writing frame with each new paragraph in your answer

For the 2nd question, before you evaluate, you should probably try to add a bit of context and relate the author's intentions or the monster's feelings with common social opinions with the society the author lived in.

I hope that helps somewhat :smile:
If you want to run certain points or paragraphs by me to try and help with, feel free to do so :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Matrix123
My phone won't open it but you can do word level analysis on verbs such "desire" and "yearning" which shows a great strength in need - a possible point is that the magnitude of these feelings suggest it isn't simply something he wants, but a requirement.

1. Make a point (linking to the question)
2. Provide a concise quotation from the extract
3. Explain the meaning and choice of quotation (such as that above). Whatever you put here could probably be your own interpretation/ the most commonly perceived interpretation
4. Explore multiple interpretations (how other people (I.e. the readers) could interpret the quotation
5. Write a final sentence/couple of sentences to evaluate the Mary Shelley's choice of words/language/structure/form

Repeat this rough writing frame with each new paragraph in your answer

For the 2nd question, before you evaluate, you should probably try to add a bit of context and relate the author's intentions or the monster's feelings with common social opinions with the society the author lived in.

I hope that helps somewhat :smile:
If you want to run certain points or paragraphs by me to try and help with, feel free to do so :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

could you tag people who could help... im useless
could you tag people who could help... im useless

I don't know anyone who does English at A Level...
@z_o_ehave you done Frankenstein? Would you be able to help Callum at all? :smile:
@Kyx pls help
Reply 10
@Kyx pls help

I'm not very good at English :frown:

I hate it
Original post by Kyx
I'm not very good at English

I hate it

thought u knew everything...
Reply 12
thought u knew everything...

Nope :frown:
Original post by Kyx
Nope

k then
this is the first bit

In the extract, the quote “my heart yearned to be known” shows that the creature has an intense feeling of longing for “protection” and “kindness”

i dont know how to develop it... anyone help
this is the first bit

In the extract, the quote “my heart yearned to be known” shows that the creature has an intense feeling of longing for “protection” and “kindness”

i dont know how to develop it... anyone help

I'd change it slightly so it says something like:

In the extract, Shelley presents the monster's needed to be loved and accepted when she writes "my heart yearned to be known". The verb "yearned" clearly shows that the creature has an intense feeling of longing for 'protection' and 'kindness'.

Spoiler

From here you can either:
- Explore interpretations of the meaning (of the overall quotation or if you've done it like I have, then explore the meanings of "yearned")
- Do multiple word level analysis. For example, what's the significance of saying "my heart yearned" instead of "I yearned"? Why has Shelley used "known" and what possible meanings does it connote to the reader?

Once you've done one of these, you can work on the other. Hope that helps with regards to the next step with your answer. :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
hope you guys could help... idk if it tagged

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending