The Student Room Group

What A levels to choose for Medicineb

Hi everyone,
I am currently in year 11 and our school have asked us to decide what a levels we want to do.I have been interested in neurology since I was a kid so I know for sure that I want to do medicine at uni.However,I have realised that medicine at uni has become very hard to get into because so many people want to do it and there is so much competition,so when deciding my a levels and I'm not sure what I should do as my fourth AS option.I'm doing maths,biology and chemistry as three a levels and I'm not sure what I want my AS choice to be.I really want to do government and politics however I'm afraid that university's will not think much of it giving me a lower chance of getting into uni.I really want to go to one of the London university's such as Oxford/Cambridge,imperial,Birmingham,queens or UCL.I also want to do one year abroad at an American uni so I want to pick my last subject as something that would help me have a higher chance of getting into uni! Help please!
(edited 7 years ago)
Do Government and politics if that's what you want to do. But for UCL and oxbridge you'll have to do BMAT so keep on top of the physics as well. I did same as you but with physics as my fourth and none of the uni's have taken any notice of it. For queens they do a 50:50 ukcat ucas thing so in your less stressful AS year do as much as you can for ucas points. Extra qualifications and EPQ all helps (wish i'd known before i applied), If you get a good UKCAT then its not as important. Basically what ever you do you need to get predicted an A or A* so if you don't think you can do that in physics definitely don't go for it. Im sure you could think of way to link Government and politics into it and who knows it might make you application more memorable. UCL have a suspiciously good application success ratio, maybe it was a miss type. I applied for UEA, UCL, St Gorges and Barts so if you have any questions ask away and i'll try my best to answer them. :biggrin:
Original post by sk2907
Hi everyone,
I am currently in year 11 and our school have asked us to decide what a levels we want to do.I have been interested in neurology since I was a kid so I know for sure that I want to do medicine at uni.However,I have realised that medicine at uni has become very hard to get into because so many people want to do it and there is so much competition,so when deciding my a levels and I'm not sure what I should do as my fourth AS option.I'm doing maths,biology and chemistry as three a levels and I'm not sure what I want my AS choice to be.I really want to do government and politics however I'm afraid that university's will not think much of it giving me a lower chance of getting into uni.I really want to go to one of the London university's such as Oxford/Cambridge,imperial,Birmingham,queens or UCL.I also want to do one year abroad at an American uni so I want to pick my last subject as something that would help me have a higher chance of getting into uni! Help please!

I have heard that Cambridge like it when you do three sciences and maths, but obviously it's not mandatory. However, I think other unis don't really care that much (they only look at 3 A levels) as long as you don't do general studies or something as your fourth.
Government and Politics sounds fine, UCL also like it when you have a contrasting subject as your fourth. UCL also has it listed as a preferred A level subject.
Whatever you choose, just make sure you enjoy it!
Posted from TSR Mobile

Damn really? I picked three sciences and math and applied to UCL. Am I disadvantaged because of it?

Quick Reply

Latest