Turn on thread page Beta

Aston University vs Queen Mary vs Royal Holloway watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for Computer Science, what is the reputation for these universities?

ReputationRep:
    Following

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Personally I would say a degree from Royal Holloway/Queen Mary would be looked at more favourably than one from Aston. I don't know about Queen Mary but Royal Holloway have very good contacts with potential employers.

Have you been to visit any of these universities as all 3 of these have different characteristics so you may not get the right vibe at one or more of them. Also, if you want to expand your job prospects have you considered a year in industry?

If money is an issue, considering you will have to find private accommodation for your second year, then Queen Mary would not be a good choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VasDev)
    I'm applying for Computer Science, what is the reputation for these universities?
    Queen Mary any day of the week. Part of the Russel group, and the UoL. Being in London will give you a lot more opportunists regarding jobs in CompSci. Even though QM isnt in the same league as LSE, UCL, Imperial and KCL, just being part of the UoL will give you more prestige especially if your looking for jobs here and abroad.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

Hey!

We’re lucky to be part of the University of London whilst also being located close to ‘England’s Silicon Valley’ in the M4 corridor, meaning our Computer Science students have industry links at their fingertips. You’ll probably also be interested to hear that our student satisfaction rate is at 91% (NSS). Let me know if you have any more specific questions about our Computer Science course.

Summer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London)
    Hey!

We’re lucky to be part of the University of London whilst also being located close to ‘England’s Silicon Valley’ in the M4 corridor, meaning our Computer Science students have industry links at their fingertips. You’ll probably also be interested to hear that our student satisfaction rate is at 91% (NSS). Let me know if you have any more specific questions about our Computer Science course.

Summer
    What makes you different from Queen Mary? What will you offer me that they cant?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    What makes you different from Queen Mary? What will you offer me that they cant?
    Hi!

There are loads of exciting opportunities our students can take advantage of, however we feel that our Department of Computer Science is most set apart because:

• We offer one of only two Integrated Masters (MSci) in Cybersecurity that have been certified by GCHQ
    • We offer advanced modules in Artificial Intelligence such as Deep Learning, used by Google's DeepMind
    • The British Computer Society has considered our Software Engineering to be ‘Best Practice'
    • We offer an Undergraduate Research Opportunities bursary scheme through which our students can work in leading research projects
    • We run a software company that gives students experience as developers in real software projects

Summer

ReputationRep:
    seems legit aha

isn't that a coincidence
    am also thinking of which university i should chose to do computer science

the choices however in my case are......
    Royal Holloway
    Queen Mary
    Brunel

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.